Everybody Who's Been Banned On Sf, The Ban Has Been Lifted

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Chrissy Cross, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes.

2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Excellent.....*phew*.... [​IMG]

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can't speak for the administrators of SF because I have only looked at it once, but usually when a forum administrator bans someone it is an attempt to keep their forum from falling apart. Forum members like to think that forum administrators or staff are public servants, to be held to total objectivity, willing to do the right thing even if it results in their forum coming apart.

Of course, we're just human beings trying to run a discussion forum. Some people start forums in order to earn a profit from them, and I guess that can be done, but the profit is generally not from advertising but from building it up to a point where it can be sold at a profit. I have handed a couple of forums off after I lost interest in them, one of which has gotten bigger since I was involved. I think I'm still an administrator there, but I haven't looked lately. Anyhow, I have never sold a forum.

Most forum administrators who may have hopes of making a profit end up failing in that, if they were to consider the amount of time they put into it and looked at in view of how much an hour they actually earned from it.

A lot of us simply saw a need, thought we could fill it, and knew that we'd have fun trying. As far as how we treat other forum members, objectivity can go a long way toward growing and maintaining a healthy forum, so I think we do try to be objective. Of course, we're human beings. Rarely can a forum administrator earn a living solely from income derived from a discussion forum, so it's unrealistic to expect that an administrator will always be available, or that he will be able to put in a great deal of time getting to the bottom of a problem.

So we're wrong sometimes. We develop relationships, so far as they go, with some of our more prolific forum members. We come to depend on them to keep discussions going, and we might come to trust what they say. When these people get involved in a fight with another forum member, we're not always in the best position to know who's telling us the truth. While I wouldn't stick with a veteran member of my forum if I knew that he was wrong, I might be more willing to believe him than someone who I don't have any kind of a relationship with. When there are a group of such people, they can back one another up, and that's where it might seem that the administrator is siding with a clique.

The administrator might well be in the wrong, but he doesn't necessarily intend to be.

There are also times when a forum administrator might just want a problem to go away. So if someone new joins the forum and quickly becomes embroiled in a fight with other forum members, that person not only seems to be the problem but the administrator doesn't have much invested in him. The newcomer might be in the right, but the administrator isn't necessarily in a position to know that - he is simply trying to make a problem go away.

Of course, some administrators are more or less sensitive than others, and sometimes that has to do with the nature of the forum. Someone trying to run a political forum is probably going to be less sensitive to disagreements than someone running a forum about farming. Although there are a lot of political forums that allow only one side to be represented, I've never understood why anyone would be interested in participating in what is basically talking to themselves.

In summary, I think most of us try to do the right thing, not necessarily because it's in our nature, but because doing the right thing for a forum member is usually the right thing for a forum. But we sometimes believe people who are lying to us, and we don't always have all of the facts.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

By far @Ken Anderson you are the best forum admin I've known and Ive been on a few forums. It's a bonus that you get involved with the discussions, that's something I like about this place.

You're fair, even when you banned me...you let me come back when I was down when my mom died. Ive caused you more than enough problems and I know it...I'm also very grateful for the chance you gave me. Then I blew it again but you discussed a short ban with me and that was appreciated also....by everyone. :)

Finally I think I'm settling down and hoping that wherever I am it will be a smooth ride. I really mean no harm to anyone, even those I don't talk to.

Thanks for the great job you do on here.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank goodness I was already a member of this forum long before I was banned from the other...so apart from a few missed friends ( who I was still in touch with through other media)...I never missed being a part of that forum..

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I was banned as CeeCee before this forum ever came about...think I went to Seniors playground for awhile but that wasn't too busy and died out.

Although I didn't know it at the time, kfander (Ken) was also on there...think the admin there was someone named Climber but never knew who that was.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I also don't think I'll ever be as comfortable on SF as I am on here. I feel like I have to be very careful what I say over there so all I do is post jokes or pics.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Thank you, @Chrissy Cross. Yes, I remember Seniors Playground. I started this forum after it closed, or when it became obvious that it was going to.

Chrissy Cross and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

SF advertises itself as a very friendly place...the short time I was a member there...it was anything but that. But I did get to meet some nice people (you know who you are and thanks for this) who invited me to @Ken Anderson's nice Forum and I've felt right at home here ever since.

For me personally, SF is not a place I would want to visit again.

11. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Best wishes. Report back.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Thanks, it's going good so far. I'm avoiding any posts that have conflict in them. Truth is that I don't know many of the people there now that aren't here...maybe a few.

I joined there as CeeCee in Jan. 2014, so most of those people are gone.

13. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

If you have to avoid posts then what good is the forum?

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I get your point but that's the nature of politics especially on a larger forum.

I could post my 2 cents over there but it would just be stressful for me.

Even here, I'm more of a moderate and I don't always agree so I keep quiet...sometimes, lol.

Terry Page and Babs Hunt like this.
  15. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

And this is one of the things we all love about you Chrissy! :D

Chrissy Cross likes this.