Ever Seen An Extraordinary Pineapple Plant?

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Amie Ar, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

What do you think?
    How does this biggie pineapple grows this extra?

When the world's strongest typhoon strikes the Philippines in November 2013, super typhoon Haiyan (local name: Yolanda) left enormous casualties and damages to the country after its 6-hours transit. Leaving almost 6,000 dead with over a billion dollar damages to properties prompting worldwide attention and assistance to the victims. Almost 3 years after Haiyan's wrath, something extraordinary have grown to the backyard of a small local shanty in Tacloban, one of the top-hit places in the Philippines. A seem to be hybrid pineapple has grown extraordinarily big and enormous. But the absence of any nuclear leaks or sorts that could make such a yield was unlikely to the area where the plant has grown.

[​IMG]
    [photo from coconuts media]

Wanna have a bite into this homegrown giant?

Source: GIANT PINEAPPLE

2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, a giant pineapple sounds super to me. I love pineapple. I hope someone is sending it into the Guinness Book of World records. It seems like it would it is one of the biggest ones in the world, and perhaps the biggest one of all time. I can picture that baby all sliced up, grilled and eaten with vanilla ice cream..It is the stuff of dreams!

Amie Ar and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@K E Gordon I'm with you! Pineapple is wonderful! One thing I recall about them, learned while in Hawaii, the time needed to reach harvest is extraordinarily long, over 20 months if memory serves. Our cotton crops here in Arizona only take from March till November to "be ready", and I thought that was a long time. Being originally a Midwesterner, I thought you planted a vegetable plant, and harvested the goods in 90 days or so, same for everything I imagined. Dummy!
    Frank

K E Gordon likes this.
  4. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like a luau huh @ K E. I bet this one here will delight everyone in the luau with all the
    piƱa colada! lols :p

K E Gordon likes this.
  5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Do you think it would taste good? Some times when fruits or veggies grow this big, the taste is compromised.

6. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

Yet to be known @ Beth for currently all are excited just looking at its enormous size. Nobody at this point wanted to even pluck it off the main plant and science experts are more about investigating 'how it grows that big' and not really tasting it. ;)

7. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There is no reason that a hurricane could not have dragged a little of this radiation to that location.

I grow some pineapples here and would love to have that plant.

Attached Files:

Amie Ar likes this.
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

My that's the strangest pineapple I've ever seen. It'll be good to let experts see it and put in records what it is, why it is and is it edible? I understand Del Monte has farms in the Philippines...they have a facebook page: Del Monte Fresh Produce so the experts can do the right thing and who knows they might get money for the strange pineapple. I shared about it on Del Monte's facebook page.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

The Del Monte farm here in the Philippines was in Bukidnon in the southern part of the Philippines. The farm was approximately 640 kms. away north to the location of this giant pineapple which is in Tacloban, an island in the center region of the Philippines.

Experts has yet to know what made this fruit this big as really nobody dare eat or even pluck it off its plant. But they say its about to ripen thus might be up for the picking! ;)

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)Though they are far apart Del Monte got the photo, so hopefully Del Monte's expert will have an opinion about it to help the family who have this growing in their yard...I'm hoping they make money from it. After what Philippines has been going through weather wise they need the money! Let's hope for them. Thanks for an interesting article!

Amie Ar likes this.
  11. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

Wow, that thing is huge. I agree with Beth, I've heard that when plants/fruits/veggies grown that large, the flavor is usually compromised, but perhaps that won't be the case. It almost looks like the back end of an animal. It reminds me of back home (New England), in the Fall, when there are contests to see who has grown the biggest pumpkin, gourd, squmpkin. FYI, a squmpkin is hybrid crop, which is the result of cross-breeding the Squash with Pumpkin. Some of the pumpkins are really huge, and they look really cute when people put their young children next to them and take pictures.

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Maybe the abnormality of that pineapple plant is due to the abnormal weather. It looks like a mutation to me. In the recent drought, we noticed the effect on our plants. The apple mango tree in our backyard is now fruiting strangely with a reddish colored fruits. That apple mango is green when not ripe and turns yellow when ripe but never red. Now there are 5 fruits that are red. I have eaten the biggest and it was so delicious with its sweetness. I hope the other 4 mangoes that area still on the tree would have the same taste since they have the same color. Our dragon fruit has small fruits now unlike previously when the fruits are pretty big. With our camias, it is a sour fruit like a relative of star fruit. The usual fruiting is in the stem or main stalk but now it is fruiting in the ends of the branches.

Maybe this climate change is also changing the landscape of flora.