Ever Known A Double Phd Person?

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 12, 2021.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Known two. One was a lady professor at a college in Jacksonville, who, before she quit to move to New England, became the Dean. She lived straight across from our apartment. The other, was an older gentleman, who also lived in the complex we lived in. He'd been in Army Intelligence.

Any idea of how many years of college/university a person has to have, not to just get one PhD, but two of them?

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've known a few. One was our lead engineer in ionmicrofabrication and electron microscopy technologies, and others were in government contracting.

The guy in ionmicrofabrication (George L.) was very nice, very patient, very eccentric and extremely intelligent. He taught me as much as you could teach some layman like me about reactive gases and ion guns and ion accelerator grids and sputter coating and a whole buncha other stuff. I'll always have fond memories of George.

The government contracting guys basically had all the smarts educated out of them, but commanded huge billing rates because of their titles and because government's #1 goal is to spend all of your money this year so they can take more next year.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Richard Joseph

Richard Joseph Active Member
    Registered

I have 20 years of Education!

Graduated 10th grade twice! :)

4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Who cares?

Mary Stetler and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Al, can't you ever see it fit to be nice towards me sometimes? I mean, some of your replies can be like mine...........uncalled for:(! Thanks.

6. Al Amoling

Registered

I'm just giving my opinion...Can't I do that?

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Of course you can, but the "who cares"? Then again, perhaps you don't care if someone has a double PhD. But, could you just imagine if you done a thread/topic and someone replied, "who cares" to your thread? Or, if any other member done a thread and got that kind of response. That's all I'm saying.

Just like Ken's says, "some threads are just better off for some people to simply leave alone (not reply)"

8. Al Amoling

Registered

but I really don't ca®e about double PHD's...

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok. But, to us, having two is like "you must've really, really liked college".

10. Al Amoling

Registered

who really cares how many degrees I have? another stupid topic.

11. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Given the jobs I’ve had, I’ve met quite a few, double Ph.D., MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D. you name it. The thing to remember, and this is from a internationally known Ph.D. and author, giving a lecture at a meeting, “Ph.D.s, advanced degree people, have great depth of knowledge; however, that knowledge is often very narrow.” I found that to be generally true, a truly impressive depth of knowledge about their field but sometimes an almost amusing naivety about other things, although always curious and eager to engage on almost any topic. I liked a very large percentage of the people like that that I met, much higher than the general population.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, Al a college degree always says “better/higher salary”. My wife has a Bachelor’s Degree in Business/Accounting and makes a terrific salary.

Question I have for you is, if you think this is a stupid topic, WHY did you reply to it????

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Not all doctorates are PhDs, and not all PhDs are equivalent, but they all show a degree of discipline.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.