Ever Been Accused Of Stealing?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kitty Carmel, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

The incident with the seltzer at Safeway the other day made me remember this. I was probably high school age and went to the flea market with my mother. A woman came up to me and stated "excuse me but I think you have one of my sterling silver rings in your pocket" I just stood there being young and not knowing what to say. My mother lit into her and the woman left convinced, I'm sure, that I had stolen one of her rings.

I hadn't. I didn't have a purse and had my little bit of money in my pocket which I would reach in and check on. That must have been what she noticed me do and thought I had taken a ring.

It's very unsettling to be accused of something you didn't do or even something you didn't say. I know I had a similar thing happen to me at Winco Foods with cat litter when I "skipped bagging" and didn't put the litter next to the scanner after scanning.

I'm putting this under this area since stealing isn't just shopping. People steal in all kinds of way. I can't blame stores and vendors for being cautious. People do steal. I just don't like being accused or insinuated that I do or did.

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, never accused of stealing but have accidentally left some small item in my cart after Ive paid....either I or the cashier notices and rings it up.

Last week at Trader Joe's, I was watching the cashier ring up my items and saw that she charged me $1.29 for a bell pepper...I didn't have any bell peppers so she looked and realized she entered the code for my $3.29 papaya as a bell pepper. Should have kept my mouth shut, lol....oh well, at least I appeared very honest. :)

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel ...What incident at Safeway....i missed it.
    Nope ..accused of many things but never theft.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have never been directly accused of stealing but I know that I wouldn't have appreciated it. While in my late teens, my hair was long (as it is now), and store clerks seemed to follow me around in stores sometimes, and I found that to be annoying, given that I wasn't a thief. Sometimes they do that because they don't have any other customers, or because they think they're being helpful, but it still annoys me to have someone hovering over me while I'm shopping, and I have often left stores for that reason.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Kitty Carmel

Registered

Going through the self check out at the grocery store the young guy watching the area (who I had never seen before) came up looking if I had scanned the seltzer I bought, which I had and returned to the cart after touching "skip bagging" since I wasn't going to bag it. He looked and talked out loud to himself about it but didn't address me and he really ticked me off.

@Ken Anderson I have no doubt that happened to you. People will profile in a number of ways. I had been followed at an antique mall in our area. No matter where I went, there was that woman close by pretending to look at other stuff. I get it, I have no doubt people do steal. But it does make you just want to leave and I think I did.

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Kitty Carmel

Registered

@Chrissy Cross I would have done the same thing about the mistaken ring up. I'm honest that way. For what it's worth.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

when in the express lane at Coles a few weeks ago, I had an 18kg bag of dog food balanced on the handle of the shopping trolley, I presumed that because it was on "special' and was in plain sight that the check out person would just push the related product button the the cash register, same as they do with other large/heavy items so didn't put it on the counter ... walked to bagging/payment area and the lady cashier said " Do you intend paying for that"? I explained that as the item was weighty and also a heavily promoted weekly special that it I thought it could be added without scanning ..or a hand scanner would be used to avoid unnecessary lifting, but no, not for this particular purchase ... told her to get someone to help as a floor person had lifted it to the trolley for me
    If I hadn't needed it, I would've just left it on the ruddy floor, felt so humiliated ... manager came, apologised for the attitude and got another assistant to accompany me to my car and load it for me ... I'm a regular customer and have bought slabs of bottled water and large 48pk loo paper etc and usually these 'specials' are pre-programmed for convenience and it's not like we can steal them anyway cos the door scanners would go off if barcode not entered ... oh well, not a nice feeling tho'

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Kitty Carmel

Registered

I get it @May Benot That's the way I kind of felt and it's not a good feeling. Here they can use a hand scanner that reaches from the register to scan something in your cart such as when I left the cat litter in the top area of the cart. I finally figured out I can remove the label around the plastic container and just scan that.

The things we will endure to be sure the pets get fed.

9. May Benot

May Benot Veteran Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel ... remove the barcode label? a great idea if you can .... but aren't most printed on the tha actual bags? altho' will work with the 14kg boxes of Catsan I buy as the label is pasted on the box .... will do that next time:cool:

10. Kitty Carmel

Registered

The litter I buy comes in plastic containers and the label is also thin plastic and just wraps around the container and I can just pull it off the plastic container and scan that label. That way I don't have to lift and scan 20 pounds. The label on this brand isn't glued on in any way. So that makes it a little easier. :)

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Incredibly, at least to those unitiated (perhaps 95% + of population), certain process is followed in the retail sales industry and Human Resources industry.

In the first, retail sales managers are instructed to be aware that the consumer is "acquisitive". (i.e., will steal).

Second, in large communities having numbers of facilities employing workers involved in a variety of roles, production, sales, and the like, monthly meetings of the company's H.R. Managers are held remotely, unannounced publicly, during which discussions are held regarding prevailing wage levels, walk-out contingency plans, and such. In short, these discussions are aimed at guiding the unsuspecting workers' futures.
    Frank

12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband accused me of stealing his heart and I admit I did! :D:p

Chrissy Cross likes this.