Escaping Polygamy

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Diane Lane, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

A friend tried to get me to watch the show all last season, but I resisted. I think the idea of living like that is icky. The warped thinking and how repressed the girls are, disturbs me, so I didn't watch until about 4 episodes from the season end. I found that I enjoy the show, and I'm planning to catch up on the episodes I missed before the new season starts. I think the new episodes begin around July 10th. I haven't checked Netflix for last season yet, but I know I can watch them online if I want to. I also purchased the book Escape, which is by Carolyn Jessop, one of the 'girls' who escaped.

Does anyone else watch the show? Is anyone familiar with the way of life? One thing I find particularly alarming is that polygamy is supposedly illegal here in the U.S., but the practice is apparently alive and well. It appears that law enforcement, at least in the one town mentioned, is complicit in keeping the girls in the life, and preventing them from escaping.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've only watched a season of "Sister Wives". It's not my choice for a lifestyle but isn't that part of the mormon religion? I have heard that on Sisters Wives they had legal issues but I haven't followed the case. I know they had to move to another state but then I quit watching.

I didn't see that the wives were forced to marry Cody but I think that's how they were brought up. One is supposedly divorcing him.

I can see the pros and cons from a female standpoint. Cons would be sharing and jealousy...pros would be help
    Doing chores and and having female company during the day, especially raising children.

I don't know the law concerning polygamy but if they marry only in a religious ceremony, a man can have as many wives as he wants and children. They could be called mistresses and I don't think that's illegal.

Is the show you mentioned about Mormons? In sister wives, all the women were 18 and older I think.

Also, Kody was only legally married to one and spiritually to the others. I can't see where that would be illegal.

I looked up the show you are talking about and that's those fundamentalists I think that were in the news.
    Children being sexually abused etc., forced marriages ....that's different in my opinion.

Wasn't Warren Jeff's in the same religion? That I totally disagree with. Polygamy in the mormon faith seems a little different. Not so much about sexually abusing children.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2016
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

I've never watched Sister Wives, so I don't really know how it works. I don't care much about how consenting adults manage their affairs, and apparently the women in that show have decided that's how they want to live. I'm sure most, if not all of them were raised in that type of situation, so it can probably be argued that they aren't making that decision freely, but they are adults. I can definitely see some pluses to having extra 'sisters' around, but my understanding of that situation was that each woman had her own home, along with the expenses that go with it? I have no idea how one man could afford all of that. I hope they share certain chores, such as the childcare, etc., since that would probably benefit them all.

As far as Escaping Polygamy, yes, it's about the FLDS group, the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, which is/was run by Warren Jeffs. He's been in the news a lot, and I believe he's currently in prison. They marry (and have sex with) underage girls, and that's what bothers me. If you watch even one episode, you'll see that the girls are very unworldly, although some of them do drive, have vehicles, and have cell phones/tablets. They are completely out of their element once out of that setting, and have a lot of difficulty making everyday decisions. It reminds me a lot of how many abused women behave after they've gotten away from their abusers. The girls who have gotten out try to help ones still in the life to escape, and they have to have security to do it. I'm sure some of it is probably made to look a bit more dramatic for the cameras, but it really doesn't seem like a good situation.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree, I don't care what consenting adults do as it's their choice and their business but sects like the FLDS
    Should all be investigated thoroughly.

Religion shouldn't give you an excuse to be a pedophile and that includes Catholic priests also. Although it's a different type situation, in the FLDS it's a lifestyle whereas in the CC it's sickness by the individual.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

@Diane Lane
    I haven't watched Escaping Polygamy, but a couple years ago I saw an episode of Sister Wives and thought it was icky. Repressed women, the man gets all the benefits. Just not my cup of tea. I'm a little surprised at the popularity of the shows, but different strokes I guess.

6. Diane Lane

Registered

@Arlene Richards Yes, it's icky to me, but I guess it works for them, at least as far as the Sister Wives show. I'm a generous person, but I certainly don't like sharing my partner with someone else. I do like the idea of the girls escaping the cult in Escaping Polygamy. I am interested to read the book and learn more about her process of getting out, and how her experience of transitioning to the outside world went. There are other similar books that showed when I looked at that one on Amazon. I checked my library, but they didn't have it available, unfortunately, so I was glad I was able to purchase it for only a few dollars.

7. Diane Lane

Registered

Speaking of polygamy and the Fundamentalist Latter Day Saints, Lyle Jeffs, brother of Warren Jeffs, has escaped house arrest by apparently using olive oil to lubricate his skin enough to slip out of his ankle bracelet. Apparently his trial had been delayed, so he was released from jail, on house arrest, pending his court date. Here's a link from CNN. He's considered armed and dangerous, and has an armed security detail.