Eradicating Pests In The House

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Corie Henson, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We use diatomaceous earth (DE) and it will kill any kind of insect or even internal parasites, and it is actually good for people and dogs, unless you are inhaling it.
    You can find it online in all sizes; and eBay is a good place to get a small amount of DE to try it. Be sure to get the food grade quality, so that it is not bad for pets.
    They make some for swimming pools, and it has chemicals in it.
    I sprinkle the DE around on the carpets, and in the dogs' beds, and also add a half teaspoon to mix in with the canned food to get rid of worms and internal parasites.
    Diatomaceous earth is miniscule skeletons from diatoms which existed thousands of years ago, and the sharp little pieces literally chop up the exoskeleton of most bugs, and they also kill internal parasites the same way. It looks like flour, and does not feel sharp , or even gritty, when you touch it. I think we have another thread about it on here somewhere if anyone wants to read more about it.

For those tiny ants that come inside, what we do is mix a bit of powdered sugar with a bit of borax, and set it out for the ants. It tastes sweet, and they gobble it down and carry it back to the anthill, and the borax kills them.
    I have also read that you can pour grits (breakfast food made from hominy) on the anthill, and when the ants eat the grits, it swells up inside of them and kills the ant.
    I have tried this; but not sure if it actually killed the ants or not.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

Your last line Corie made me laugh! But, no worries though since my late hubby has already kept his silence for good for sometime now. Peace hon, rest well! :oops:

Corie Henson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Mine too, Amie.

Amie Ar likes this.
  4. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmmm.... guess we have more women power in here. Anyway, all part of life and we need to go on until we meet our hubbies again sometime... somewhere... in God's will and time. :)