Epoch Times

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 1, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This is not a paid ad. In fact, even when I link to an Amazon.com product, I don't use my affiliate link because I don't want anyone thinking that I am trying to make money off of them.

However, I strongly recommend the Epoch Times. It is conservative in perspective, and a large amount of its content is political, but it does cover several other issues, such as the coronavirus, far more in-depth than you will get from any of the regular media. Where a regular newspaper might have a couple of columns on an issue, the Epoch Times might have four pages.

It was actually begun as a Chinese language newspaper, founded by a group of Chinese Americans associated with the Falun Gong movement, but it has evolved considerably since then.

Although it still publishes a Chinese language newspaper that probably focuses more on issues related to China, its English language paper focuses on world and US issues, although still with a lot of China stuff.

It is distributed in several countries, including separate regional editions.

When I subscribed to multiple newspapers and magazines, these included several liberal and some far-left publications, because it doesn't hurt to know what the other side is saying. Today, the cost of subscriptions is too high, my income is not so high, and most of them publish stuff that is old news by the time it gets to me.

Not so, the Epoch Times. While I may be familiar with its headlines, it goes far more in-depth than any other publication, it wasn't as expensive as some, and its stuff is more contemporary, given that it's published twice a week. I don't think it's online content is hidden behind a paywall, but neither is the whole of its content available online. A digital subscription is an option, but I prefer the print edition.

Along with the twice-a-week newspaper, they send other stuff, like periodic glossy magazines.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Thanks.

I'll check it out.

I read the Economist for nearly 20 years (speaking of expensive subscriptions), and I enjoy Voice of Europe as an online source of what's going on there. The Economist gave me a non-U.S. view of American topics, while Voice of Europe is in the belly of the beast overseas. I also used to subscribe to Foreign Affairs and The Atlantic, among others.

I agree with getting different perspectives.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I used to subscribe to The Economist, but not for a while now, and to The Atlantic, but only for one year.

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I belonged to Smithsonian Resident Associates program for a number of years. This gives you an inside track and discounted tickets to their events, and a subscription to Smithsonian Magazine. I've been fossil hunting with them at the Maryland seashore, and done a bunch of other stuff.

One of their issues was actually extolling the rejuvenating benefits of having Walmart locate in small towns! I was shocked!!! The Smithsonian Magazine, of all places, promoting such heresy. :eek: They made the solid argument that Walmart brought in all sorts of traffic from the home county and surrounding counties (as it does where I live), and that lots of local businesses benefited...even those with whom Walmart might compete.

I wish I had saved that issue.

Scott Laughlin and Bill Boggs like this.