Epitaph?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Brittany Houser, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:People buy funeral plans and plots so why not be thinking about an epitaph? A good daughter & person. I know not so inspiringly unusual. I sure hope to have something like that on my tombstone although I'm going to be cremated and laid to rest at a gravesite. I've got to ask if we're going to have a tombstone at our gravesite for our funeral plan. You gave me something to think about.

2. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

"No Worries, I lived a Full Happy Life!" "Gone Home with the LORD. See You Later." ;)

Brittany Houser likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I do not like this grim topic about death but for the sake of this forum, I will toss in my 2 cents worth.

Last week, a good friend of my husband died of heart attack at the age of 77. He was a film director who was dynamic with his plans. He and my husband are very close such that in their organization, he is the president and my husband is his vice. They regularly meet and they both participate in their events particularly the weekly breakfast forum with the media.

When he died, my husband was grieving so he went to the wake only on the 3rd night. Asked by friends what he can say about the film director, my husband said - he was such a good man. So maybe that epitaph would fit him for he really was a good man who was generous with everyone.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I plan to be cremated and really do not care what is said.

5. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Death is the only thing we are going to have for sure, yet nothing quite pleasant to discuss unless you are in a necro-mood, much the was I was in my mid-20s seeking for the ideal and "classy" burial place, like if the setting would have any value when one is gone.

However what I would like to add is what sad is seeing how things in the world works, to the extent that nowadays funeral is simply a huge business in which, even if your decision is being cremated, funeral houses will rent the coffin, will sell a funeral "program" and yet will give you catering options much in the way you were booking a wedding banquet.

I hate all this approach to a natural event for the human being.

Corie Henson likes this.
  6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Carlota Clemens, maybe I grew up in a conservative home with a positive atmosphere that's why I abhor that topic of death. When I was in college, someone came to our house to sell a memorial plan. The woman said that plan would take care of everything when my father dies. I was kind of scared to think that my father would die although he was still young at that time.

One time when I went to a funeral wake, an acquaintance who works in that big funeral parlor toured me to the place and showed me the coffins that were prepaid. One I remember was a brass casket costing so much money bought by a famous comedian named Dolphy. Another is the coffin of Fernando Poe, Jr or FPJ, the most popular actor at that time and who ran for the presidency of the country.

It's a different culture now and I also have changed a bit about death. Memorial plans are common and cremation is even getting popular. We bought a slot in a columbarium where our ashes will stay when we are cremated.

7. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually Major Tom never died, he is mentioned again in many other songs. David Bowie felt Major Tom was a reflection of who he was when he was in the midst of drug addiction. The in-ward and out-ward references to being lost in space were in actuality Bowies decline to and refrainment from his addiction. Major Tom is a complex fictional person, and we will no doubt hear of him again if Bowie continues to write.

If I was to die I would want my stone to read "Are you sure she's gone?" I have always said that if there were a way to contact someone from the great beyond I would do so. I also would want to be buried on a top shelf in the crypt, because those worms should have to work to eat my dead body. Then when the kids say Mom was always "Top Shelf" they wouldn't be kidding :p

8. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Died
    From Not Forwarding
    That Message to 10 People

Last edited: Sep 24, 2015
  9. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll probably be cremated, and I'm not sure there will be any sort of marker, but if there is, I'd like it to say something like 'Reunited with loved ones.'

Brittany Houser and Tom Locke like this.
  10. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm going for the grilled option. As Neil Young observed, "Better to burn out than fade away."

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Laughing so hard! Brilliant Lara! Lord I hate those stupid things! By rights, I should have died a violent death years ago! :D

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

After taking care of seven funerals and cremations, I was over whelmed at the cost and the pain of taking care of all the arrangement.

My Grandparents and my mother were North coast American Indians. So I have a different way of seeng death. We see it as a journey, not an ending. I know it might sound gory, but thye ashes of my youngest son and my husbands are sitting on a shelf waiting for me. After I died, My granddaughter will quietly find a stream, river, or just any body of water, and distribute all of our ashes together. There is to be no service, and no gathering of a large group of people. My grandson wants to make a two foot oliptical concert flat stone, the says my favorite saying. I came up with it when I was about 19, and it is.

The Powers That Be
    ARE
    Regardless of Designation

Lara Moss and Joe Riley like this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

There was a time I wanted mine to say, "He was a good man." But it's too late for that one, it didn't work out. I'll be cremated with no service, My ashes spread somewhere I hope to designate.

15. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

@Brittany Houser , thank you but I can't take credit. I saw that many moons ago somewhere and has stuck in my mind because I found it funny too. :)