Election Day

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Martin Alonzo, May 15, 2016.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Election Day in the Dominican Republic May 15. This is the day we get to change the crooks the one’s in there now have had a 12year run and it looks like they are going to get 4 years more. You can really see the corruption here as the parties come along the road buying votes right out in the open and nobody says anything.
    The entertainment of living in a third world country.

K E Gordon and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo Old as time itself! When I was a kid growing up in "Crook County", Illinois, our local Alderman always came to our front door, stepped into our living room, usually of an evening, when my Dad was home from work, and talked about the coming election, then handed each of my parents a couple of bucks, with the admonition "Be sure to vote the right way!"

This was evidently S.O.P. back then, no one thought much of it. After he left, my Dad was known to say he would vote for whom he damn well wanted to! Frank

3. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Here if they are not sure who you will vote for they buy your cedula which is your identification so you cannot vote. You get your cedula back after the election. I seen guys waving around money and have a hand full of cedulas.

4. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

It was funny how you put that Martin. Now we get to exchange one set of crooks for another. Everyone seems to feel similar about their legislators it seems. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most of them are lawyers. We had a good person who ran in our district and of course he was defeated. Now, the lady who is trying to replace him is of course...a lawyer. She doesn't impress me. We need to revamp our whole congress. They spend most of their time raising money for their re election efforts instead of doing the business of the people.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Being here is a real entertainment. First probably 60% or less of the people even vote there is basically two parties there is more but the others are irrelevant. Now the group in power gets all the jobs and if the other party comes into power all the jobs go to the members of that party. Jobs are from school janitors to immigration officers they all change. So if the part in power got 51% of the vote out of the 60% of the population and got that by buying 15% of the votes. They are not really representing the majority of the population. They find jobs for the small group not giving jobs to the opposition party or to the people they bought. If the party changes all that changes again. Most all politicians in this country become millionaires while the farm worker makes about US $100 per month.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Maybe it has something to do with the fact that most of them are lawyers. "

@K E Gordon We must use tact when dealing with the Bar, and it's disproportionately large membership in the political sewer. After all, I personally HAVE known quite a number of good lawyers. They are all dead, now.
    Frank

K E Gordon and Martin Alonzo like this.
  7. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh I am not saying they are all bad, after all Abraham Lincoln was a lawyer! I just think that by and large they have their own self interests at heart. I mean if you are going to go into politics, Individuals should keep in mind their business is to serve the people, and not their own ambitions. We would do much better with people who want to serve, and not be hung up on whether they are re elected or not. It seems the good ones don't last more than a term or two. and those who are corrupt or suspect are in much longer.

8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

They only assassinate the good ones

The old joke if there was a dead lawyer and a dead skunk on the what would be the big difference is that there would be skid marks before the skunk.