Eggnog Time Has Arrived -- Wa-hoo!

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've never tried eggnog with alcohol in it, since drinking has never been my thing, but I used to like family friendly eggnog. For the past several years, I have not though. Pretty much every Christmas season, I try it at one place or another, and sometimes my wife makes it, but I don't much care for it anymore.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That is one thing I don't care for also...I don't like milky type products and I don't drink any alcohol....so no eggnog for me!

I don't think I've had a drink since moving to Fresno....maybe a couple of times but now because of the fact that I haven't had any alcohol in so long I'm afraid one sip will do me in.:)

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I like eggnog. For some reason, it was a tradition at my house when I was growing up. Daddy made it with raw eggs on Christmas morning and we never got sick from them. Now you wouldn't dare make it with raw eggs. We children were given a sip before he put the brandy in it. When I drink it now, I put 3 ounces of moonshine in a quart. It makes it taste good but it's not enough alcohol to make us intoxicated.

Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  4. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't mean to rain on your parade but.......

12341436_1048038141884385_3183951923194192595_n.png

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Bwahahaha! :D

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems the holidays really zipped by this year. I can't believe I didn't even have any egg nog. That's really unusual for me, since I enjoy the taste. I might have to make a small batch for myself, since I doubt there's any left in the stores by now.

7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

When I went to Kroger's they had all of their eggnog marked down for clearance; so this might be the best time for you to get some and get it really cheap, @Diane Lane .
    Last year, they had eggnog ice cream, and candy cane (peppermint) ice cream for the holidays, and all of that was on clearance after New Years , too.
    I looked for some fruit cake; but they must have sold every last one of those because I didn't find any.

Joe Riley and Diane Lane like this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I have already been out several times this week, and am trying to limit the use of my car, so I probably won't get back to the store before they run out, unfortunately. On the up side, though, at least I can hunker down here until the temperatures warm up. I've been looking around for a good non-alcoholic recipe, and this one looks nice. Some of the recipes I've found didn't cook the eggs, but i'd rather mine be cooked, and this one uses milk, which I have here, rather than heavy cream. I also have half and half, so I could use that instead. http://www.asweetpeachef.com/drinks/non-alcoholic-eggnog/ I don't have anything against alcoholic eggnog, but I don't have any of what's required in @Lara Moss's recipe.

Joe Riley likes this.
  9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Guess What!!! I just learned distilled alcohol has ZERO Carbs and ZERO Sugar. So that includes Brandy (and Bourbon Whiskey Tequila Rum Vodka) that you use in egg nog. Egg nog cream in the carton is 34 grams of carbs and sugar is 21 grams....but I use 1/2 C (or 2 jiggers) of Unsweetened Unflavored Almond Milk instead of eggnog which has 1 carb and ZERO sugar! I use the Whole Foods 365 brand (2carbs for 1C and 0sugar). Other brands vary. And nutmeg is ZERO! I also use ice.

The distillation process eliminates the carbs and sugar. The only caveat is that I add Creme de Cacao which has like 20 grams of carbs in a jigger so I need to find an alternative for that or eliminate it. Or factor it in to my daily carb intake….but then I don't do this daily! haha.

I hope this news doesn't turn anyone into an alcoholic. Remember that too much alcohol will destroy your liver (no more than 1 drink per day). Most of us drink on rare occasions like eggnog at Christmas.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Lara......might have to replay this video!;)

Lara Moss likes this.
  11. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

haha…I think that just might be the weirdest video I've ever seen lol…but oddly enough it's on-topic.

Maybe it's oddly on-topic because it follows an odd post :rolleyes:

Joe Riley likes this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It is that time of year again .......... YAY ! !
    The eggnog is on the shelves at the stores, and it was actually mostly sold out when we went to Walmart this morning, so lots of people must be having eggnog along with their Thanksgiving Dinner.
    I am having some in my coffee, and that makes me very happy !
    I look forward to my eggnog and coffee each holiday season. Now, I probably won’t buy any more until they start putting it on sale, but I got this one at full price because.......... well, because I just couldn’t resist it !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm a big fan of eggnog!

When we were kids our mother used to make us a glass of eggnog when we were not feeling well.

Here is her recipe for a single serving of eggnog that I still use.

Eggnog for one
    1 cup milk
    1 large egg
    1 tbsp. sugar
    1/4 tsp. vanilla
    grated nutmeg

Whirl in a blender and add a shot of booze if you like. If you are concerned with eating raw eggs you might want to pass on this one.

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

15. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.