Editing and Storing Digital Photos

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

When I bought my computer last year it came with OneDrive ready installed but I haven't made much use of it because I'd already signed with Dropbox. It just seemed easier to keep my important documents where they were, but it's nice to have more than one option. I really should start using it for some things, but at the rate I take photos, 15GB won't go very far.

2. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

I actually have one drive. Last weekend was a holiday here in the States, I made good use of it and manage to shoot 970 pictures, just to discover that the USB on the laptop was going bad, so I waited patiently for work on Tuesday to download the images from the camera. It took 17 minutes to transfer from the camera to the hard drive. It took two days to transfer from the one drive on my work computer to populate the actual cloud. In actuality the 970 pics were about 4 gig. I feel like I could go through the free space in no time, but I see I can get a ridiculous amount of cloud space for almost nothing. Last weekend was special because I was playing with some of the built in special effects in the Sony. I have a function that filters for a single color and the sunlight was such that everything was just perfect to test this out.

I am not always the sharpest knife, it took me awhile to figure out how to reset the color option. Then I had to actually find colors to experiment with. I liked it though- felt like an adventure

Attached Files:

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I had posted in another thread that I am using Adobe Photoshop for my photos. But most of my photos are left untouched. I only change the file name to indicate the occasion. With the date as the prefix of the filename, it's a good reference point so I leave it at that and just add an identifying suffix.

With the storage, here comes the problem. A photo is approximately 1 mb in size so 1,000 photos will occupy 1 gb of storage. That's small compared to the 500 gb of my hard disk. But that 1 mb is a rough estimate only. There are photos much larger than that. By the way, I am also aware of my videos. Right now I am in need of a new hard disk for back up since my archive disk is almost full - that's 2 terabyte.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I really like Picmonkey ! I used to use it back when it was called Picknic. Then Google bought it out, and I think it is added somewhere on the google+/Picasa , but I have never used it there.
    Anyway, the original owners of Picknic started another wiebsite and called it Picmonkey, and it works about the same. I do not use it much anymore because I can't get it on the iPad, and I would have to use the Dell desktop . If you are using a regular computer, then it is an easy-to-use program that will do a lot of things to your pictures.