Eating Out Versus Ordering For Delivery

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Nov 11, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Whenever our housemaid would go on vacation, there would be only the 2 of us, my husband and me. And since it is not economical to cook for only 2 persons, we would just buy food - take home or delivery and sometimes we eat out. There are a number of eateries around our place, some classy and expensive and some are cheap fastfoods plus the local fastfood called carinderia that specializes in native dishes.

It's always a toss up between ordering for delivery and eating out. When we have time to spare, we would be eating out and the leftover would be good for the next day. That is our style of eating in times that we have no housemaid.

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, Corie. Either restaurants are cheap there or groceries are very expensive.There is always only the two of us and cooking at home is much more economical than buying food at a restaurant. You can have a good meal at home cheaper than even a hamburger and fries at a fast food place. I prefer home cooked meals to any restaurant food.

Corie Henson likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I just got home yesterday and plan on leaving again in 9 days and I live alone I only bought a whole chicken and some veggies at the supermarket....going to make chicken soup. I will get quite a few meals out of that.

Chicken salad for one. I havent had homemade chicken soup in years so it will be a treat, plus cooking heats up my house also.

I usually live on salads and such in the summer.

Ruby Begonia and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For two, it's much cheaper to eat at home, I think. For one, it makes sense to go to a restaurant.

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For my taste, going out to eat is as exciting as going to a Tupperware party and just about as expensive. Of course, I've been in the Food and Beverage industry for 53 years so home cooking is the epitome of culinary joy, IMHO.
    It's amazing what 2 strips of bacon, a couple of pieces of bread, flour, and milk can do for a hungry stomach. (Uh, bread and bacon gravy for those who haven't figured that one out. yum) If my wife and I choose to eat a little higher on the hog, we can but generally a little stir fry, beans and ham hocks, or a couple of burritos are examples of our home fare.

Rarely, unless we do eat out, (buffet at that) do we spend over 5 or 6 bucks for the two of us to eat a meal at home. And, because Dominoes won't deliver to our neighborhood out of fear of being robbed or killed, we do not ask for delivery.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

In favor of eating out; it's a favorite thing to do for me and my friends.

When a decent restaurant available we'd even save up for a meal if we had to.

A good restaurant should have good food, as nice or better than cooked at home.

The other aspect I love about eating out is; it gets us off our feet and gives us a break from cleaning up. It's so nice to be waited on sometimes.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I never eat out in Fresno but when visiting my kids, Im always treated to some great meals at restaurants!

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Bobby has been reminding me that Wednesday is our anniversary of 14 years together. He is probably the only husband in the world that could forget his anniversary date, and his wife would never realize it until it finally dawned on one of us that we missed it.
    Truthfully, we always have to try and remember which day it is, and tonight, we were discussing which year we got married. We are both reasonably sure that we celebrated our 13th anniversary last year; so (right or wrong) we are having the 14th one this week.
    Wednesday (naturally) is the only day this week that it is supposed to rain, and probably thunderstorms, at that. So.... IF the weather is permitting, we will go out for a late lunch/early dinner , probably at Ryans, or maybe even Golden Corral. Between 2-4 is usually a quiet time in most restaurants, and we can make it count as two meals, so this is our preferred time to go out together.
    However, if it rains, then we will probably just stay home and have the cabbage soup instead, and have our lunch on Thursday or Friday when the weather is better.

Terry Page and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I love cabbage soup, cabbage anything really.

Happy Anniversary!

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Have a wonderful anniversary!

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I like both if I could afford it. Eating out times when you can order something new that you wouldn't ordinarily eat at home. Ordering food cn be good too when you'd like to rest and relax and have the food come to you. Both are good when the time is right for it. Sometimes you'd like to dress up and go out to eat. I like the Wendy's 4 for $4:
    [​IMG]
    Image by wendys.com.

12. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Hmm, maybe you are right and the others too that eating at home for 2 people is cheaper than going out. Okay. But what about the cooking? If we value the time spent in cooking the food, add to that the cleaning involved like washing the dishes and pots and pans, that would add up to a lot of work. Do you think I have the energy to do all that? And my husband would agree that it is better to eat out or just have the food delivered. Now you see why my husband and I go along very well. Hahahaaah.

13. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Happy anniversary Yvonne and Bobby. Brooke and I had our 16th last month.

14. Sheldon Scott

Registered

Corie, my wife and I are retired so we have plenty of time for cooking whatever we want and I like to cook. Most of the meals we cook will last several days so we don't cook so often. In your situation I can see eating out but it's just not for me.

Corie Henson and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We are about the same as you are @Sheldon Scott , in that we make food (usually in the Ninja crockpot), and then we either eat that, or snack on a sandwich or something similar. So, we do not have a lot of work into food prep either, and like you, we are retired and home to do it, plus we share the cooking.
    If Bobby wants to cook something , he does. If I want to cook something, I do. If neither one of us wants to cook, then we just have something easy, like a salad or sandwich. Either way, it is no big deal.

Since the storm will start hitting here tonight; we have decided that after going to the fitness center today, we will go to Ryan's Buffet (which is close by) and have our anniversary lunch, and then tomorrow, we will just stay home, out of the storm, and enjoy the cabbage soup.