Eating One Meal A Day

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Terry Page, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I came across this interesting video while browsing earlier, I have been going on and off this one meal a day idea for over a year now, at the moment I am back on two meals day with Lisa, plus snacking if I become bored. Although I know I feel so much better when I do eat as needed once a day or less, I somehow drift back into my childhood/cultural programming....and eat too much....

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to eat at least 5 times a day with 3 of my meals being slightly bigger but never more than 300 calories...I just like to eat, one meal a day has never worked for me.

The 3 main meals are when I try to get my protein.

I didn't watch the whole video but how do you get the required protein in one meal?

3. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

The other day we left the house early, major delays in getting home so did not get around to eating until almost 6 pm. I felt headachy all afternoon, snappish, and sluggish. So this is not for me. I am like Chrissy, 3 good meals and two snacks of fruit. Sometimes a salty snack at night.

Don't diabetics need to eat at regular intervals?

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Not a good idea is it ? We need food for energy
    I have a main meal, and as usual breakfast cereal, and something at tea time, then a snack for later
    Don't eat after 8pm

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't eat after 5 PM, I eat all my meals early since I get up early, I'll start the day with breakfast at 4:00a.m.
    Lunch is around 11:00 AM and dinner is around 4:30-5:00 at the latest.

When I visit my son, they eat dinner late and I just can't wait that long so usually eat something else and will have their dinner for my lunch the next day.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, my husband was diabetic and he had to eat at least 5 times a day.

Since I didn't watch the whole video...can someone tell me how you're supposed to get all the protein and other nutrients you need in one meal? I have enough trouble getting all my protein as it is since I'm not big on meat anymore.

7. Terry Page

Registered

You need to watch the video to understand how it works, it does it better than I ever could, but your body operates in a different way and yes diabetics benefit from it as well....

LINK to Diabetic Association UK

"............I'm T1 diabetic and I use a Ketogenic (LCHF) diet, and only eat once per day (evening meal). I find it to be very convenient, as I usually spend around 45 minutes each day in my kitchen. I don't need to spend any time on breakfast in the morning, and I don't need to take any break at work (so I get to come home earlier). On LCHF I never feel hungry, so that isn't an issue. In one of my standard Keto evening meals I get something like 1200 - 1400 kCal, and I drink 2 or 3 coffees each day, which are Bulletproof or with double cream, so this adds several hundred kCal to my intake.

All in all, I find eating once per day very satisfying, convenient and sustainable. (For full disclosure: Once a fortnight, I have a free day where I eat what I want). Been eating this way for around two and a half years now, very happily. Weight is maintained; energy levels are excellent; blood-sugar levels are well-behaved.

The 3 meals per day structure seems to make sense if you're consuming Carbs, because a Carb-loaded meal will make you feel hungry again in a few hours anyway. But if your body is not sending any hunger signals to encourage eating, then obviously it is satisfied - why force-feed it?....."

".................I have a rota of few different meals . . .

• Omelette with bacon & cheese, with vegetables
    • Slow-cooked Duck with vegetables, cooked in broth made with [vegetable stock, leek, carrot, celery]
    • Chili made with Lamb mince, with Courgette spaghetti
    • Wok meal with [cubed Duck pieces, or Pork-Belly pieces], with vegetables
    • Crustless Quiche with Broccoli
    • Salmon Fillets fried with Ajvar Sauce, with vegetables
    • Duck pieces, fried in Green Pesto sauce, with vegetables
    • Thai Soup (tinned) with added Duck pieces
    • Cajun Omelette (with Nuernberger Sausages, Bell Pepper and Tomatoes)
    • Pork Shoulder with crackilng, with vegetables
    • [Pork or Duck] Vindaloo Curry, with vegetables
    • Duck-Burgers wrapped in Chinese Cabbage (burgers made with duck-meat in grinder, and a Hamburger-press)

I'm sure there's a world of other Ketogenic/LCHF meals out there, but I'm not a real 'foodie' and so I'm happy with my 10 or so staples.

Ketogenic Yorkshire Puddings are often added to the meals with sauces/broth.

I tend to use Cream (in coffee) and Cheese as desserts, and/or to bump up my blood-sugar/kCal by small amounts as required.

For me 'vegetables' is always some combination of [Broccoli, Courgette, Cauliflower, Bell Pepper, Sweetcorn, Turnip, Leek, Celery, Chili Pepper, Mushrooms] . . . also happy to include [Onion, Spring Onion, Carrot, String Beans, Tomatoes] but very small quantities of these, otherwise they spike my blood-sugar.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Glad it works for you...I just couldn't do it and I eat low carb and about 1200-1400 calories a day to maintain my weight but I just couldn't eat 60 or more grams of protein in one sitting or that many calories if it's low carb.

Yes, one fattening meal at a restaurant will give you that many calories easily but not in a good way.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

I just can't be told :rolleyes:

Hedi Mitchell and Terry Page like this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - 2nd one down - that's a me :p In small portions - of course ..........
    @Terry Page

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

Very interesting video but I could not do it. I tried fasting years ago and gave up after a couple of days, feeling ashamed of my weakness in doing so; I have never tried again. Caloric Restriction (CR) has been proven to extend the life span of many creatures and it is adhered to by many people but it too seems too much like hard work. The Mediterranean Diet has worked very well for me for some years now along with the adage "Moderation in all things". No more calorie counting, or weighing of foods, or guilt tripping if I have a treat. Still, I know there are very real benefits to the fasting that is recommended in the video and admire those with the discipline to follow through!

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

The 'Mediterranean' diet is good :)

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Bottom line..I don't smoke, drink, have sex...don't take my meals away...I enjoy them. :)

15. Patsy Faye

Registered

Exactly :)

Missy Lee and Chrissy Cross like this.