Eating One Meal A Day

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Terry Page, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I came across this interesting video while browsing earlier, I have been going on and off this one meal a day idea for over a year now, at the moment I am back on two meals day with Lisa, plus snacking if I become bored. Although I know I feel so much better when I do eat as needed once a day or less, I somehow drift back into my childhood/cultural programming....and eat too much....

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I have to eat at least 5 times a day with 3 of my meals being slightly bigger but never more than 300 calories...I just like to eat, one meal a day has never worked for me.

The 3 main meals are when I try to get my protein.

I didn't watch the whole video but how do you get the required protein in one meal?

3. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Well-Known Member
    Registered

The other day we left the house early, major delays in getting home so did not get around to eating until almost 6 pm. I felt headachy all afternoon, snappish, and sluggish. So this is not for me. I am like Chrissy, 3 good meals and two snacks of fruit. Sometimes a salty snack at night.

Don't diabetics need to eat at regular intervals?

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Not a good idea is it ? We need food for energy
    I have a main meal, and as usual breakfast cereal, and something at tea time, then a snack for later
    Don't eat after 8pm

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't eat after 5 PM, I eat all my meals early since I get up early, I'll start the day with breakfast at 4:00a.m.
    Lunch is around 11:00 AM and dinner is around 4:30-5:00 at the latest.

When I visit my son, they eat dinner late and I just can't wait that long so usually eat something else and will have their dinner for my lunch the next day.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, my husband was diabetic and he had to eat at least 5 times a day.

Since I didn't watch the whole video...can someone tell me how you're supposed to get all the protein and other nutrients you need in one meal? I have enough trouble getting all my protein as it is since I'm not big on meat anymore.

7. Terry Page

Registered

You need to watch the video to understand how it works, it does it better than I ever could, but your body operates in a different way and yes diabetics benefit from it as well....

LINK to Diabetic Association UK

"............I'm T1 diabetic and I use a Ketogenic (LCHF) diet, and only eat once per day (evening meal). I find it to be very convenient, as I usually spend around 45 minutes each day in my kitchen. I don't need to spend any time on breakfast in the morning, and I don't need to take any break at work (so I get to come home earlier). On LCHF I never feel hungry, so that isn't an issue. In one of my standard Keto evening meals I get something like 1200 - 1400 kCal, and I drink 2 or 3 coffees each day, which are Bulletproof or with double cream, so this adds several hundred kCal to my intake.

All in all, I find eating once per day very satisfying, convenient and sustainable. (For full disclosure: Once a fortnight, I have a free day where I eat what I want). Been eating this way for around two and a half years now, very happily. Weight is maintained; energy levels are excellent; blood-sugar levels are well-behaved.

The 3 meals per day structure seems to make sense if you're consuming Carbs, because a Carb-loaded meal will make you feel hungry again in a few hours anyway. But if your body is not sending any hunger signals to encourage eating, then obviously it is satisfied - why force-feed it?....."

".................I have a rota of few different meals . . .

• Omelette with bacon & cheese, with vegetables
    • Slow-cooked Duck with vegetables, cooked in broth made with [vegetable stock, leek, carrot, celery]
    • Chili made with Lamb mince, with Courgette spaghetti
    • Wok meal with [cubed Duck pieces, or Pork-Belly pieces], with vegetables
    • Crustless Quiche with Broccoli
    • Salmon Fillets fried with Ajvar Sauce, with vegetables
    • Duck pieces, fried in Green Pesto sauce, with vegetables
    • Thai Soup (tinned) with added Duck pieces
    • Cajun Omelette (with Nuernberger Sausages, Bell Pepper and Tomatoes)
    • Pork Shoulder with crackilng, with vegetables
    • [Pork or Duck] Vindaloo Curry, with vegetables
    • Duck-Burgers wrapped in Chinese Cabbage (burgers made with duck-meat in grinder, and a Hamburger-press)

I'm sure there's a world of other Ketogenic/LCHF meals out there, but I'm not a real 'foodie' and so I'm happy with my 10 or so staples.

Ketogenic Yorkshire Puddings are often added to the meals with sauces/broth.

I tend to use Cream (in coffee) and Cheese as desserts, and/or to bump up my blood-sugar/kCal by small amounts as required.

For me 'vegetables' is always some combination of [Broccoli, Courgette, Cauliflower, Bell Pepper, Sweetcorn, Turnip, Leek, Celery, Chili Pepper, Mushrooms] . . . also happy to include [Onion, Spring Onion, Carrot, String Beans, Tomatoes] but very small quantities of these, otherwise they spike my blood-sugar.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Glad it works for you...I just couldn't do it and I eat low carb and about 1200-1400 calories a day to maintain my weight but I just couldn't eat 60 or more grams of protein in one sitting or that many calories if it's low carb.

Yes, one fattening meal at a restaurant will give you that many calories easily but not in a good way.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

I just can't be told :rolleyes:

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Terry Page

Registered

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - 2nd one down - that's a me :p In small portions - of course ..........
    @Terry Page

Terry Page likes this.
  12. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Active Member
    Registered

Very interesting video but I could not do it. I tried fasting years ago and gave up after a couple of days, feeling ashamed of my weakness in doing so; I have never tried again. Caloric Restriction (CR) has been proven to extend the life span of many creatures and it is adhered to by many people but it too seems too much like hard work. The Mediterranean Diet has worked very well for me for some years now along with the adage "Moderation in all things". No more calorie counting, or weighing of foods, or guilt tripping if I have a treat. Still, I know there are very real benefits to the fasting that is recommended in the video and admire those with the discipline to follow through!

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

The 'Mediterranean' diet is good :)

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Bottom line..I don't smoke, drink, have sex...don't take my meals away...I enjoy them. :)

15. Patsy Faye

Registered

Exactly :)

Missy Lee and Chrissy Cross like this.
  16. Terry Page

Registered

I can understand that feeling about fasting @Augusta Heathbourne I was the same until a few years ago, when something happened to my body chemistry and I have completely lost the hunger signal, so fasting is easy for me. In fact I have to actively remember to eat these days, and when on my own the only signal I get is faintness after a day or two without eating, due to my falling blood sugar, so I can't claim to having any self discipline, which I completely lack in other areas [​IMG]

17. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have also read about intermittent fasting, and the video you posted was very informative, @Terry Page . It does a good job of explaining why we can do it when we are in fat-burning mode and can't do it when we are in glucose-burning mode.
    I have been following a low-carb ketogenic diet for the last year, slowly losing weight and getting my body in better physical condition. Although I exercise, I still do not lose weight like I could when I was younger, plus the medication that I take for my heart slows down my metabolism as well.
    Slowing the metabolism is also one of the things that helps us to live longer, while feeling healthy and in better physical condition; so after learning that, I have not been trying to speed up my metabolism , and am learning to eat less food less often.
    The food that I do eat is (usually) food that nourishes my body, and not just wasted calories on foods that don't nourish it; so I a sure to get the proteins and healthy fats that we need, and just less of carbohydrates that we do not need (unless we are just burning glucose, of course).
    Once my body is fueling itself on fat and not glucose, hunger seems to be mostly gone, and I only eat one main meal most days, and green smoothies or the bulletproof coffee otherwise.
    I have been craving kefir; so I thought my body must either need probiotics or detox; so I am making kefir again and drinking some of that once or twice each day as well.

Terry Page likes this.
  18. Terry Page

Registered

Yes I found the video useful and easy to understand @Yvonne Smith I have been on and off intermittent fasting for a couple of years now, and found it worked well.
    I feel with all these ideas you need motivation, I wanted to decrease my BP, reduce my pre-diabetes blood glucose level and lose some weight, I reduced the glucose levels to normal and lost around 15 lbs, but didn't reduce the BP readings, so two out of three isn't bad.
    If I hadn't had this original reason to motivate me, I would still be on three meals a day and quite happy with it..

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  19. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My weight, BP, and glucose are all normal so I guess until something changes I'll eat the way I have been.

I think I also define a meal differently because my green smoothie is one of my 5 meals...

For lunch today I had what I call a chicken salad, a few pieces of chicken breast, a tomato, some basil leaves and half an avocado smashed that I used as the binder instead of mayo.

Also a few chunks cucumber...I usually throw in whatever veggie I have around....just a small squeeze of lime also. No salt whatever but a few dashes of Tabasco.

Ate lunch early so in about 2-3 hrs I'll have a green smoothie and then something for dinner at 4 that's less than 300 calories but will have protein and veggies in it...and that's it.

If I want something to eat it will be some carrot sticks or an apple or a sugar free popsicle.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
    Terry Page and Yvonne Smith like this.
  20. Yvonne Smith

Registered

We are all different, and what works for one person might not be right for someone else. Since you have found what is right for your body, @Chrissy Cross , there is no reason to do anything different than what you have been doing that works right for you, and you are comfortable with.
    All your blood tests come out good, and you feel fit and healthy, and that means that you must be taking good care of yourself.

21. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

You all are obviously stronger and more determined than me.I have dieted ( notice first three letters spell what its all about DIE)
    what seems like most of my life. When I was single and younger, not so much a big deal- the older I get, well yep I have put on some pounds. I have tried just about all of them over the years. Weight Watchers being the best...but burnt me out on weighing and counting etc. ... i am done. For the most part I eat whatever I want, I do try eat in moderation.
    And, i am truly sorry to offend anyone, but a plate of stinking veggies does not make a happy camper. I only eat them..gag, because well, I have to have some vitamins floating around in my system.
    Now, I will say this, carbs, are a problem for me- but I have said for years, anything you try and delete from the norm...is the first thing your going to attack given the opportunity. I can not drink a meal either... I mean this is why we have teeth, chewing is satisfying.
    :D

22. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Weight watchers is the only one that never worked for me but many swear by it! I have to go low carb to lose weight.

As for veggies...I just like them! :)

Yvonne Smith and Gloria Mitchell like this.
  23. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Chrissy Cross ... Wish I did like them, like you do.... Potatoes are a veggie- right? I grew up on potatoes,pinto beans, and corn bread. I have expanded my culinary over the years, but only in the last 25 - 30 years began to eat veggies. Many i can eat raw, but hate cooked.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  24. Yvonne Smith

Registered

When I was growing up, we always had vegetables and salads. We had fruit trees and berry bushes, and mostly we ate fresh foods; so that is what I grew up enjoying.
    Naturally, when I got married and had children of my own, they grew up eating salads and veggies, too. Neither Robin or my oldest son, Tony, will touch any kind of squash; but that is just a personal preference, and not a rejection of veggies in general.
    I have been reading about the dangers of gluten on both our body and our brains, so I seldom eat any kind of bread anymore. Actually, I am working on having a mostly raw vegetarian diet, and just supplementing with cooked foods when I need to in order to round out my diet, like having tuna fish on my salads.
    I do think that intermittent fasting is a good thing, even if it is not done every day, and that it probably helps us to live a longer and healthier life; but if doing so makes the person miserable, then it is probably causing more harm than good. I think that it has to be something that we want to do.

Terry Page likes this.
  25. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I ate one meal daily, with VERY little snickering or snacking in between, never felt better, hadn't had such freedom of movement or mind in many years, no "gut" in the way of steering wheels, plenty of energy and get-up and go. Seems like hunger can drive one to "strive". That's how I saw it.

Caved in and succumbed some time ago to a bit of "healthful eating", aka, snacking, during the day, now weigh 10 lbs. more than I'd like, have a glob of fat around my belly which is a "first", and find it difficult to resist snacking temptations. Frank

Terry Page likes this.