Easy, Quick, Low Carb, High Protein Meals

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lara Moss, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

That's what I do as well Chrissy. And Lara, unless you are planning to store spaghetti squash for over two weeks, don't put it in the refrig. It's more like acorn and butternut squash, which is more of a gourd than a squash. Just sore it in a dry place out of dirrect sunlight. That's why it is so hard. Gourds are one of the veggies people used to store right along with other winter foods such as potatoes and carrots.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't refrigerate my squashes either, Ina.

People in the US tend to refrigerate everything. When I was living in Hungary I noticed they didn't refrigerate their eggs and that freaked me out. But after I ate them and had no problems, I didn't insist that my housekeeper put them in the fridge.

Wonder what the difference is that it's okay there and not okay here?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  3. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ina I. Wonder, I had no idea about some squashes tending to be more like gourds, etc! Thanks. @Chrissy Page, honestly I don't think it's OK anywhere to not refrigerate eggs. I know people didn't before refrigerators but how many cases of food poisoning were never attributed to eggs? Maybe the scare is a hairline crack in a shell?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Chrissy you can keep eggs a week to ten days, depending on the heat, on the counter. Eggs will last up to six weeks in the refrig, that's why we keep them cold. And unless you know your source for fresh eggs, I wouldn't trust that someone hasn't already put them in a cooling chamber, which means that the eggs would need continued cooling.

Lara Moss and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I wrote a post here but can't find it ???. Anyway @Chrissy Page, I just read why Europeans don't refrigerate eggs! It's very interesting but I don't know how to copy the URL here on my tablet. Look up "why refrigerate eggs" the article is from the L.A. Times.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

8. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Yes Chrissy, vaccination! Also I read something about our fanatical washing of the eggs removes something called the cuticle.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

So now anybody that plans on visiting a foreign country will know not to freak out about eggs. :)

Of course there are some countries that have some food I would still be afraid to try, lol. Who watches or has watched Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods?

10. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Chrissy, I used to watch that with Michael.

Up until a little over a couple of years ago, we sold eggs and rabbits, cows, pigs, and every once in a while my son would foster a horse from the SPCA. It was part of our son's ventures. We had been raising rabbits and free range chickens since he was about five.

When we sold eggs, people would call and ask if they were refrigerated or not, and we had both. Another question was, 'are your eggs fertile or not?' Many people don't understand that hens do not need a rooster to lay eggs. Young Michael was a fanatic about keeping up with his farming forums, so at least we were always on top of any issue that were popping up around this area. We were lucky in that most of our hens laid double yokes, and it is true that we did not wash the eggs, We would wipes them down while they were still warm with just cheap dry paper towels.

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

One other thing I remember about the eggs in Hungary is how much better they tasted and their yolk was more orange in color than yellow. Eggs here are kind of bland.

I thought that buying brown eggs here would taste better than the white but although a little better still not as good.

One problem though was at Easter, I wanted white eggs to dye but only saw brown.

12. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

A quick high protein breakfast I have found to be very filling is to take a soft flour tortilla sheet warm it up place a scrambled egg, black beans and cheese on the shell and roll it up. It is quick and keeps me from looking for more food for about 2 hours.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do that with my low carb tortillas but minus the beans. I add either mushrooms, spinach, red peppers or whatever I have on hand.

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto, I'm exactly the same. I buy what I like, regardless of cost..

I buy a lot of organic food too...I'm not OCD about it, but I particularly prefer my Meat, (thin skinned fruits and veggies) and Dairy products to be as organic as possible.. and also quite a substantial part of my diet is gluten and wheat free..

15. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I have watched several and had to change the channel a few times. The episode where he ate camel actually made me queasy; even Zimmerman didn't like it.

Just an aside.... I read that Zimmerman was a former heroin addict, had been homeless and found shelter sometimes in abandoned buildings. As low my opinion of that show may be, I do give him so much credit for how he overcame.