Easy, Quick, Low Carb, High Protein Meals

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lara Moss, Jan 24, 2016.

1. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Pizza Bites 5 ingredients
    Carbs - 6 grams
    Zucchini & marinara sauce are the only ingredients with carbs
    Med. Zucchini = 6 grams, depends on how much zucchini you eat (probably 1/2)
    Check label on Marinara sauce before buying. Mine says 3 grams per 2 TBSP

Recipe: http://damndelicious.net/2014/06/04/zucchini-pizza-bites/

Looks like chopped fresh thyme on top.
    Substitute any meat, like sausage or chicken, as none have any carbs.
    If you miss the flavor of bread, have 2 tsp of roasted sesame seeds (tastes like toast).
    Best roasted sesame seeds are found in the sushi section of grocery store.

IMG_1744edit.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've done this, pretty good. Have made pizza crust from shredded cauliflower, not bad but too much work.

Lara Moss likes this.
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lara Moss , That looks likes something I used to make for my guys, We were always looking for different ways to fix our home grown veggies. But now I find myself to lazy to cook for just myself. If my brother comes over, I'll cook something for the two of us, mainly because I know he gets tired of eating his own cooking.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I am big on fruit and veggies, always have been, and now that it is just me, even more so. When I realized just how much money I was throwing away, I quit trying to cook for myself. But I'm pretty lucky in that there are places I can get plenty of food, and I'm spending about a third of what I was.

There is a little grocery store probablly built in the 60's that has been purchased buy a Mexican family. Now if you remember the old style stores, they were quite a bit smaller than the local Krogers or Walmart. This little store has an old fashion meat counter with butchers, a bakery, and even a small sit in area for the steam table. On the weekends you can buy roasted beef or pork by the pound. I love Mexican food, and their veggie soup is fantastic.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Food is my one extravagance, I buy what I want no matter the price, within limits of course. I always but fresh veggies because like Ina, I love them. Not so big on fruit though except for watermelon in the summer. Only meat I buy is chicken and the rest is seafood. I can't be bothered with complicated meals for myself either. It's usually some form of protein and a veggie side dish.

Terry Page and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

I also found a little Japanese restaurant where I can get steamed shrimp and snow peas or other kinds delicious steamed dishes. For $15.00 one of their dinners will feed me for three evenings. I also found an Italian places where they serve spaghetti squash in place of the regular wheat past if your so inclined, and I am. They replace pasta with other veggies too. It's a good development in the family owned restaurants. They are giving a service that the chain places are missing out on. I can feed myself for less than $50.00 a week.

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I do the spaghetti squash at home instead if pasta, Ina. I don't know if restaurants here would substitute but I don't like to eat out alone anyway.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to have a recipe for zucchini pizza that was similar, @Lara Moss . Mine was from an old church cook-book that I got way back when my kids were little.
    It used one of the larger zucchini squash, cut in half lengthways, so you had two long halves, and then you scooped out some of the centers, and removed the seeds.
    You had kind of a squash canoe left.
    Then I chopped up the center pieces that were removed, and sautéed those along with hamburger, green peppers and onion, and maybe some tomato.
    Fill the squash boat with a bit of tomato sauce (I liked spaghetti sauce), the hamburger mixture, add pepperoni, mushrooms, and whatever other toppings you like on pizza, Italian seasoning, and then mozzarella cheese over the top, and bake.
    This was a great way to get the kids to eat their veggies, and it was quick, easy, and delicious, as well as low-carb.
    Unless you have your own garden (or a farmer market) it might be hard to find those large squash at the stores.

9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I feel like you do Chrissy about fruit. I love vegetables, all kinds, but aside from watermelon the only other fruit I enjoy are some berries and occasionally dried apricots.

Chrissy Cross and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Now matter how I've tried I just can't substitute squash for pasta when I want pasta!

If I desire squash which I often do, saucing it up or fixing it up like pasta is a tasty dish, but does not work for me when I desire pasta, its just too sad.

11. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

Chrissy, I don't eat out by myself either, it's just not enjoyable. But I do call and take home from both the places I mentioned above, and the little Mexican store provides all of my other needs. I am starting to feel better without all the heavy carbs, in particular wheat, potatoes, and white rice. I seem to have lost my appetite, and I have to remind myself to eat. Sometimes coffee is all I want. You can flavor coffee so many ways.

12. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I like mexican chorizo nachos but those days are over for me sadly :(. Maybe on Cinco de Mayo I'll make an exception :)

@Yvonne Smith …I like your idea for Pizza Boats….great idea!

I bought a spaghetti squash but it's too hard for me to cut in half. I thought maybe it was frozen (although it was in the fridge the whole time). So I've set it on the counter and will try again tomorrow. I was going to put stroganoff on it so I just had the stroganoff sans noodles. Most people put wine in stroganoff but I leave that out because wine adds 4grams of carbs per 5 oz. Instead, I add lots of spices. I'll post the recipe eventually but it's pretty standard for stroganoff I've found.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2016
    Ruby Begonia likes this.
  13. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

I cook as though I'm cooking for a family and then divide it into glass storage bowls with tupperware tops for freezing and sharing with daughter and mother. That worked great for the ice storm we just had. I'm still iced in but tomorrow should bring freedom to get out.

14. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We tried the spaghetti squash once. Never again. We don't eat pasta often but when we do we want the real thing.
    We eat lots of fruits and vegetables. I've known many people who think a meal is meat, potatoes and a vegetable.
    My meals usually, but not always, have meat, but most often there will be several vegetables one of which may be a potato. Many of those meals will be in the form of soups or casseroles.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

@Lara Moss, I put the squash in the the micro for a bit to soften it, then I cut it in half. Remove seeds and put each half back on the microwave to cook.

If some already suggested this, sorry, I just woke up and haven't looked around.