Earthquake In Northern California -- Not A Major One

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Chrissy Cross, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From what they are saying, the California one is not on the San Andreas fault line; however it IS on the Cascadia fault line, which is the one they are most concerned with now because it runs all the way up the west coast.
    A few weeks ago, they were having drills for this , just in case it does cause the large quakes somewhere around the Seattle-Portland area. Help would have to come from as far away as Spokane (eastern Washington), and even in Idaho, where my oldest son lives, they were involved in the Cascadia Rising drills. They have been saying that this area, all along the west coast from Canada into California, would be affected when the quakes go off in that region.
    Although Oklahoma has had a lot of quakes in recent years, mainly due to the fracking out there, this is the largest one that has ever happened there.
    Another worrisome aspect of that one might be its proximity to the New Madrid fault zone, which had the largest quake ever recorded in the United States; but back in the early 1800's. It is also overdue for another huge earthquake, and if that happens, most of the eastern part of the United States would be affected by it. The last one was felt all the way from the Great Lakes region and down to the Gulf of Mexico . Since it was almost 200 years ago, there were not a lot of people living in most of those regions' but now we have huge cities all the way along there, and interstate highways that would be wiped out in a large quake, just like I-5 will be on the west coast.
    Hopefully, we do not have any more serious quakes than the ones today' but there is always the possibility of a larger one happening, and it is overdue in both fault zones.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, overdue for sure. Something is happening so that's not good. It's just a matter if time and nobody knows what that could mean.

We have so many things to worry about lately. Natural disasters, man made ones, terrorists foreign and domestic!

Wonder if there were other times in history when so much was going on?

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I've wondered the same Chrissy, we even have slight ones over here and actually experienced one a few months back
    It was scary but nothing on the scale that other people go through - terrible :(

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

They seem to be happening in places you wouldn't expect...like by you! Yes, they're small but it's gotta start somehow.

I have an earthquake map and there are some everyday in CA. But they're not big....most around 3 mag.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh thanks Chrissy - LOL :p

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Ha ha, I'm bored and just waiting for my AC to be installed so I could do this all day but won't out of consideration for Ken. :)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ha ha - thanks again Chrissy :p
    Will be packing up soon, but will be thinking of you and that AC .............. xx

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

12. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

we had one here in KC around 7 this morning. most of us didn't feel it including my wife and I. they claim it was centered in north-central Oklahoma
    "An earthquake shook the metro area around 7:05 a.m. Saturday morning. FOX 4's Rob Collins, Nicole DiAntonio, and meteorologist Joe Lauria immediately noticed the shimmy when the walls and lights in the FOX 4 studio started shaking".

http://fox4kc.com/2016/09/03/kansas-city-metro-wakes-up-to-an-earthquake/

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

How far are you in miles from where it happened?

14. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

There's an earthquake in the southern part of our country yesterday at magnitude 6. There's no casualty and based on the news, there was not much damage. I am wondering because the earthquake in Italy was magnitude 6.2 and had killed more than 10 people with countless of damage with destroyed structures. Maybe I am getting the wrong impression because a 0.2 difference in the measurement of earthquake may mean a lot.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I think a lot depends on how populated the area is, etc. most buildings in CA are supposed to be earthquake proof.

Also lots of rules regarding things like the hot water unit has to be bolted to the wall with a metal strap, etc.

I don't think 0.2 makes that much diffrence, it's just where it happened.