Early Cellular Telephones

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 22, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Hello,
    Some of my acquaintances are showing me pictures of their families, pets, and other things on their cell phones. They can scan to any picture and even enlarge it using their fingers!

I have 352 pictures in my computer files, and I'd like to copy some of them to one of those hand-held devices, but I don't want a cell phone, just a camera that stores pictures.

What do you suggest?

Thanks, Hal

Von Jones and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

All modern digital cameras store pictures , but at some point they get full and you have to download them to your computer.

I don't know if you're asking if you can transfer pictures from your computer to a camera ...that's not possible.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Hi Hal,
    I understand that you want to transfer photos from your computer to a hand-held device in order to show them to others. In that case, a (digital) camera wouldn't be of any real use because you can store them on it but the pictures would only be shown on a relatively small display and couldn't be enlarged with the fingers. If you want to show photos, you would need to do that either on a smart phone (not a mere cell phone) or a tablet to which photos can be easily transferred. There doesn't seem to be any other way.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

It's true what Thomas says Hal...I deliberately didn't mention the cell phone because you're so set on ot having one..but the only other exception would be as Tho,as said a 'Tablet'.. .(Ipad)

I have thousands of pics stored on my Ipad , they're smaller to show off than on the computer but larger than on a phone ( about A5 size)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was my thought exactly, Holly, but I thought that if @Hal Pollner didn’t want to have a cell phone, he would not want to have a tablet either.
    In order to show pictures away from home, he might need a cellular connection for the tablet as well. And if he was at home, then he can show people the pictures from his computer like he has been doing.
    Actually, as long as the pictures were stored on the tablet, he should not need a connection to access them, and most places have free wifi anyway, in case he did need a connection.

I have seen those little “picture frame “ things that store pictures so you can show them to people; but I know nothing about them, or if they even hold more than a few pictures.
    From the pictures I have seen of those, I think that it would be much simpler just to carry a cell phone along instead, plus it has SO many more features, and you can actually TAKE pictures (of excellent quality) as well as just exhibit the ones you have already taken and have stored away.

I use my phone all the time for taking pictures, and don’t know how I ever got along without that.
    I remember that when there was something that I wanted to get a picture of, I never had the camera along; but since I carry the phone, now I never miss an opportunity for a picture either.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Let's see now. Ya don't want a cell phone or a tablet that has the capability to do what you want but you want something you can use to show your friends your pictures, right?
    Simple. You can go back to the old school and get your stuff developed and carry around 352 wallet sized glossies. Of course, you can't use your fingers to make them larger, but you can absolutely carry around a couple of files of 8x10's with the most popular ones included in the manila folders.

OR........you'll just have to break down and join the rest of us old folks that is, if you really, really wish to do all you are asking.

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Bobby, you certainly have a tactful way of expressing your replies to an honest question.

But what if, in order to have the ability to transfer pictures from my computer files, I DID buy a cell phone, but never activated it to avoid monthly charges? Can you do that?

Thanks,
    Hal (Of course, I could buy a cell phone without "breaking down".)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

People that de-activate their phones can still see pictures, so why not. I would suggest adding a memory card to the phone to ease file transfer. I think you can take pictures with a deactivated phone, but not sure. If so, be sure to save the picture to the memory card and not the internal storage.

Von Jones and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Truthfully, @Hal Pollner , I was an AWFUL “stick-in-the-mud about not getting a cell phone, let alone one that could access the internet. I LOVED my old dinosaur desktop, too, and didn’t want anything else !
    Then, one day, it broke down, and I sent it home with my daughter to fix it and get it working again. She left me her iPad to keep me online while she was bringing the dinosaur back to life again. It took me a while to get used to having a touch screen, but once I got the hang of using the iPad...... that was it, and I never looked back from there.

Robin had a good excuse for buying herself a brand new iPad, and she left the old one with me, and that is all I have used ever since.
    When she got me my first iPhone, I didn’t think that I needed that either; but once I discovered that it took great pictures, and I didn’t have to try and remember to bring my camera along (or the battery went dead in the camera), then I realized that I really liked having the iPhone as well.

Now, she gave me her old Apple Watch when she got the new cellular watch, and I have discovered that I can’t live without it either. It is a fitness tracker, tells me what time it is, and I can even answer the phone right from the watch; so I never miss a phone call anymore .
    It can be submerged in water, so I also can track my swimming when we go to the fitness center.

Once you stick your toes in the water, with technology, you will discover that the water is perfect and you want to swim....... it is just getting that first toe in the water that is the hard part.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

In short, what @Harry Havens said or,... you can get a kindle or a tablet and not have it hooked up and work off line which also have the capability of taking pictures with a larger storage capacity.

A small story: Years ago when the electric typewriter came in, I said nope, nothing is going to replace my Royal (manual) typewriter. There's no wham, bang or ding and the key pressure is too light so it'll never be very popular. Then, when going through crypto I was forced to go electric and liked it. Then, the computer age kicked in and I again said nope, the word processor will never make it in the big leagues like my typewriter does and then I was forced to use one......and liked it.
    Now I have an ipad, iPhone, and the Dell which I really do not care for because I do not like Windows 10 but I'm using it right now so..........
    I might be able to get along pretty well without my phone because I really hate phones but I'd kill if anyone snagged my IPad which is something else I said I didn't want.

I had to add one thing about the phone. While I hate talking on the phone, I definitely do like the idea that I can hook up a music app to it and play it wherever I'm at. When I'm working on a house or in my shop, a little $25.00 Bluetooth speaker (similar to a Bose but not as expensive) gives me all the sound I want and virtually any station I want.

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

If the primary purpose is being able to store and display photos on a handheld device, I'd go with something larger than a cell phone screen, perhaps because I can't even decide whether I like my pictures until I have uploaded them to a larger screen. I think a tablet would be the best choice for that, as you can get one with a larger screen than you'd have with a cell phone, yet still small enough to carry around. Plus, it could double as a computer in a pinch.

A cheap choice for a tablet would be a Kindle. I know that photos can be taken with the Kindle, although I generally forget that they do that. I have never tried doing so but am thinking you'd be able to move photos taken by another digital device onto a Kindle, but am not sure.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

And now, the "other side of the story". We too, have hundreds of pics stored. However, when our PC was wrecked by vandals while we wintered in AZ, all our pics were lost. Know what? Can't remember a single one of them. However, I CAN remember literally thousands of images, perhaps lacking the fine-edge details, but remembered nonetheless in my mind. My life's entire picture file, instantly accessible, no cell, no PC, no electronics, and why is that idea to be construed as less worthy? When I croak, two things go WITH me: the pics in my PC, as well as the pics in my life experiences.
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The fact that so few people, myself included, have photos saved in print form is sad. Computer hard drives fail, people lose access to their Cloud accounts for one reason or another, and formats change. A couple of generations from now, would anyone be able to access the photos that we have on our computers, flash drives, cloud accounts, or wherever? And that's assuming that they care.

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

This is what I do with my cell phone which is specifically for emergencies and I buy my minutes (pay as you go) which last for up to 12 months.

I first just had a regular cell phone that didn't have a camera. Then I received an unlocked phone with a camera and use my SIM card from my old phone. Now I have an emergency phone with a camera.

Another way to add photos to your phone is to email them from your computer to your phone if you have email. My grandson and I do this a lot with pictures on his phone. Once on my phone I download them to add to my picture library on my computer.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Aaaah...it's not that important anyway!

My wife carries an envelope in her purse with 4x6 photos of our kids, grandkids, pets, and other family-related subjects, which she proudly shows to anyone who is interested in stores, restaurants, etc. I print them out from my computer files.

They show us their little cell phone pictures, but I always prefer looking at a real photograph!

So thank you all for your suggestions, but I'm gonna stick with good old-fashioned PITCHERS!

(Note the photo printer, the text printer, and the music keyboard in my
    desk top computer complex.)

Hal
    123 (2).JPG

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018