Dying Laptop Keyboard

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Frank Sanoica, Oct 21, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Our laptop, bought in 2010, has served us well. The keyboard has deteriorated, however, causing skipping, extra letters, unintended errors (duh! make INtended ones?). I mongered about forums with questions, got back opinions, plenty, but wound up taking it upon myself to search for keyboard replacements.

Found what seemed to be a legit site, http://www.laptopkeyboard.com/, ordered a brand-new keyboard for Forty Bucks (!), encouraged by their concise installation instructions. Just a little scary, my wife insisted on backing-up our pictures on a disc. The keyboard arrived Thursday, but she would not hear of messing with the PC until yesterday AM, when the "save" went down. Here's the picture, before I tore into it:

[​IMG]

The "N" key was gone, space bar very iffy, "I" was bad, as well as "E", and others. I had pried the bad keys out, inserted foam plastic beneath them, to get them "springy" again. That was 6 months or so ago, and I had gotten tire of having to proofread in quadruplicate!

The new keyboard lying below the PC. Guess I still shake using a digital camera!
    [​IMG]

Last night instead of forums, I pried the old keyboard out, learning it had been glued down as well as screwed. It had only a plastic backing, while the new one had a thin metal plate. Maneuvering the new one in place, I wound up with a kind of waviness across the face of the keys. Works well, but looks strange. Connecting the unfamiliar tiny cable which had no connector, just a flat ribbon of impossibly tiny conductors, was tricky; I gave it 50-50 chances. But, it works!

Asked if I should remove it and glue it down, the reaction from my wife was icy: not on my life! Frank

2. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

3. Ken Teas

Ken Teas New Member
    Registered

Good job. I would have just bought a USB keyboard and plugged it into the USB port.

Martin Alonzo and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

LOL...so would I..... but whatever floats your boat Frank , sounds like you had fun repairing it

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Ken Teas
    I don't understand. The keyboard has about 20 electrical connections. How could the USB connection, having provision for only 4, work? Frank

6. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had the same problem and fix it with a usb keyboard. I had key missing and then the kids split water on it. I had a USB key board and ask a techie to install two seconds and up and running. My laptop keyboard now has some letters slowly disappearing as the paint wears off.

Frank Sanoica likes this.