Dumpster Divers

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Kitty Carmel, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

We get dumpster divers at my apartment complex. I don't pass judgement on someone. I don't know what their situation is but it's getting out of hand and causing a mess. They don't just go through the recycling containers. They go into the dumpster and then tear open bags looking for stuff. When the trash truck comes, some of that stuff flies around when the dumpster is flipped over.

The complex news letter states they are going to do one central trash center that will be completely enclosed with a card only residents can get in. But it's "months out" It needs to be yesterday!

I can't stand litter.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Kitty Carmel
    The large commercial dumpsters, big stores and the like, are around these parts locked and accessible only to store employees, and necessarily, the garbage wagons.
    Frank

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Dumpster diving was a fad a few years ago.

4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

They are looking for cans and bottles they can get money for at the recycling center. I'm not against anyone trying to get something but don't make a mess and add litter doing it. The complex needs to really get on this trash situation.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I lived in Long Beach during the late 1970s, Vietnamese people would come through the alleys collecting anything that was recyclable. At that time, recycling was encouraged financially, in that there was money to be made by recycling paper, metal, plastic, and glass, as well as the more obvious things like bottles and cans, but it was not required.

However, the Vietnamese collectors would overturn trash cans, taking what they could make money from, and leaving a mess behind. On the other hand, if I separated my recyclables from my regular trash, they would recognize that there probably wasn't anything valuable left in the trash bags, and would be more likely to leave them alone, For the most part though, if I was going to take the time to separate everything, I would just take it to the recycling center myself.

I was hitchhiking around the country at a time when some people were trying to make dumpster diving a noble cause, but I would rather work for my money and be able to eat in a restaurant than eating someone else's leftovers out of a trash bin, however clean it might look.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

You should see the dumpster across the driveway from our apartment either at the beginning or the middle of the month. When people move in and decide they don't want certain things they had moved, they will put the things in it and, other folks, won't break down any large boxes and the dumpster will fill up with moving boxes. When the dumpster fills up on the weekend, people will put their bags of trash outside the dumpster. It can look really, really hideous! Sure glad I don't have to clean up the mess on Monday morning.

It looks terrible, but doesn't really bother us. When we see that the dumpster is completely full, we will keep our trash bag inside or on the back patio. Some people just don't care about how an area looks.........those that put full trash bags outside the dumpster.

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm thankful we don't live where this kind of situation exists anymore...but I'm seen my share of the messes dumpster divers leave after they are finished "diving for treasures".

People over here pretty much leave things they don't want on the side of the streets where they leave their garbage containers for pickup...and people just pass by and take what they want. Usually by the end of the day nothing is left to be picked up. Often some pretty nice things are left out...people just don't want to take the time to bring it to a thrift store for donation anymore it seems and with cars passing by on a regular basis most times someone sees things they can use and take what is left out very fast. It always reminds me of that saying: "One person's trash is another person's treasure." I have picked up a few things myself now and then especially if it was an outdoor toy, etc. that could be played with by our grandkids. :)

I never could understand how dumpster divers could leave such a mess behind. It always made me glad my Mom taught me to clean up my messes. :)