Drowned World

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Honey Gee, Dec 4, 2016.

1. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband and I watched these statues being made. It's a really fascinating article and one we visit regularly.

Jason deCaires Taylor is sinking fast. Below, 15 metres under the surface of the sea, a crowd of figures, unmistakably human, are motionless. It is eerily still but for the schools of fish weaving through this newly arrived sunken society. Taylor has just submerged these sculptures in what will become Europe’s first underwater museum, Museo Atlantico, in Lanzarote. Under the surface of the water, The Raft of Lampedusa, a sculpted boat carrying 13 refugees, is still just visible as it is lowered. Divers surround it, inflatable buoys hold it while Taylor waits with a waterproof clipboard, ready to place it in its new home.

https://www.theguardian.com/artandd...lpture-museum-lanzarote-jason-decaires-taylor

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

You are definitely right @Honey Gee that article is fasinating and I am going to spend a lot more time checking out all the sculptures, etc. What a thrill it must have been to actually have seen some of these statues being made. Thanks for sharing this with us. :)

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

What an unusual art environment! I recall seeing"the couch potato" guy, before. Will they eventually be covered, and part of the bottomscape? The waters must be remarkably clear! Thanks, @Honey Gee .

4. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a lovely spot @Joe Riley and hundreds the waters are really clear. The sculptures are at again @Babs Hunt and are making sculptures of people either taking photographs of you or judging looking through concrete bar structures in our marina.

I will try and get some pics but it's still a work in the making.

Babs Hunt and Joe Riley like this.