Drones - Anyone Have Experience With Them?

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Joe Riley, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

As a guy who still works sixty feet up tall trees, gunning a chainsaw inches from my face, while hanging from a ½" line, I can tell you I love this video. I looked into becoming a tower climber a few years ago, but there were no nationally recognized climber certifying bodies, and that turned me off from that pursuit. At this point in my life, I'm not positive I could make a 1500' climb fast enough to be marketable. I'd like to try it, though, if I knew the tower was safely readied to be climbed, and safely grounded.

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Just an update on this story….

@Bobby Cole finally did get a drone and had fun last summer flying it around the back yard, and almost lost it when it took off out of where he could not control it and was headed for the arsenal….. not a good thing !
    Anyway, today he decided to take it out again, and I heard it outside flying around for a little while. Then, Bobby came in (looking sheepish), and said he was sorry, but the drone just chopped the blossom off of one of my irises.

So…..a whole yard out there to fly around in and he manages to get an iris blossom ! How likely is that ? It chopped the stem off just like a weed eater had hit it.
    Then he said that at least it was one of the purple ones. (I have the most of that color, and a few of the white and yellow irises). Boy, is he lucky !
    If it counts, he did bring me the iris blossom….. not everyday my Sweetie brings me flowers.

B0BE7ECF-CF0C-47A4-B92B-4912793C4D4B.jpeg

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Hmmmmm…..now she’s out taking pictures of her flowers before I crank the drone back up again…:rolleyes:

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Smart girl. ;)

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've wanted to get one of these so I can survey my property from the air. As @Faye Fox said, I have expensive tastes, so I've not taken the plunge yet. I have plenty of space to fly it, but I think you have to be registered (take a basic course?) with the FAA, don't you?

@John West should be leading this discussion.

6. Ed Marsh

Ed Marsh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Good evening to all-
    For the past year or so I have been learning to fly a series of drones, and I must confess, I enjoy sending these little fliers up to fly and show me the world from a totally different point of view.
    Some of these recreational drones are so capable and effective fliers. Some of my drones can fly well over a mile in distance and send back perfect video feeds to my phone.
    I have had no problems from others who have seen me flying- most folks want to see what I'm doing and they express a great deal of interest in drones.
    I also have been able to use some photos I have taken from my drones in my articles for different magazines.
    Drones are a good kind of tech.

good evening to all- Ed

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

8. John Brunner

I keep threatening to do this but am unsure where to start.

I live in the country and would love to see my lot and the surrounding area by air:

Arial 2 redacted.jpg

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Daniel B Cooper

Daniel B Cooper Well-Known Member
    Registered

Are you able to post some pictures or videos? Cool hobby!

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The drone I have gets lost a lot and decapitates my wife’s iris’s.

It only has a 6-8 minute battery and once it gets past maybe 50 yards it loses contact with the controls. One time it crash landed about 50 feet from entering Redstone Arsenal.
    I was a little grateful for the crash because had it made it to the Arsenal, I have no doubt that the MP’s would have had a small talk with me.

There’s no such thing as a “chu hoi” when it comes to the arsenal.

Shirley Martin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good morning to all-

Mr. Brunner- If you can spend a little money- say $350, and learn to fly your drone, you will be AMAZED at what you will find from above- even on your own property. In my immediately locale, I have found ponds I never knew existed, pastures with horses- which by the way, are not bothered at all by drones overhead, houses, graveyards, and stands of trees and other game attracting stuff.
    Yep, flying my drone helped me get through COVID and it helps me get through long days when I can't go anywhere.
    I will try to post a photo. you all be safe and keep well- Ed
    navarre beach bayside_Moment.jpg

Hedi Mitchell and John Brunner like this.
  12. John Brunner

That's amazing. I've wanted one for entertainment purposes, and to help a neighbor who occasionally looses a cow or two.

13. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Other side of the coin:
    This is how militaries can defend against drones - Defence IQ
    The Pentagon issued a classified policy to US forces in July declaring that military bases now have full legal rights to shoot down private or commercial drones deemed to be a threat. Local communities have since been notified that any unmanned aircraft system (UAS) trespassing in military airspace could be seized or destroyed.

[​IMG]https://survivallife.com › drone-defense
    How To Defend Your Home And Your Family From Drone Attacks
    Drones pose a considerable threat to our personal safety and security. In this article, we will be discussing personal and home drone defense and why it's so important. Contents hide 1 Drone Defense: Protecting Yourself From Possible Threats 1.1 Why Drones Were Developed 1.2 Drones for Data Collection 1.3 Drones for Physical Tasks

14. Ed Marsh

Registered

Good afternoon to all-

Drone attacks? Good God in Heaven what is that? The drones I fly weigh less that 250 grams and they pose no sort of threat to anyone.
    Folks who worry about "drone attacks" don't have enough to keep their minds occupied.

you all be safe and keep well- Ed

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered