Drone Camera Videos, Very Beautiful!

Discussion in 'Photos & Video' started by John West, Mar 13, 2022.

1. John West

John West Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am starting this thread in the hopes people will find it interesting, if not entertaining. It is a place to post your videos (i.e., videos you've made and not ones made by others and borrowed from the internet). Having personally gotten into videos in the last 8 months, I will contribute somewhat regularly if folks here find them interesting. To that end, here comes the first of some number of moto videos of the aerial kind.

.Learning To Fly Splines and Not Worry About Crashing: Having gotten a drone as an aerial camera to take along on my motorcycle adventures last year, the drone's software/firmware was recently updated so the pilot could plan and fly a specific path. The drone model itself (i.e., A Skydio 2) has excellent obstacle avoidance software, giving you a modicum of comfort that your expensive, flying camera won't crash as it follows that path. After a number of test flights around the house and yard, I took to the field for my first, real-world test. The objective was to capture an aerial view of the Princeton, MA, common. It should be noted that Princeton was once a major resort town in the mid 1800s to early 1900s that sported 12 or so hotels and inns around and near the common. They're all gone now.

Comments, criticisms, thoughts and suggestions welcomed. I have more.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2022
  2. John West

Registered

Going Nowhere - Video Removed: I can see this thread is of no interest and, being unable to edit, the video is no longer available here. Lesson learned.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2022
    Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

This was first time I saw this thread and it's already dead??

4. John West

Registered

There just wasn't any interest, Al. I create aerial videos to supplement the photos I take of (hopefully) interesting places when out riding. This forum probably isn't the place for them. By contrast, I posted the video on an adventure forum this morning and had 4 likes and over 50 views in the first 15 minutes.

5. Al Amoling

Registered

zzhow do you determine that? first post at 4:30pm yesterday second post at 7:17am today. I don't spend every waking hour on this website and I truly just saw it this morning and it's dead.

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@John West - Al is right , your not giving it a chance. When i first became a member 5 years ago a man name Terry Page, traveled all over the world and he was always posting pictures. I do not remember videos, but still it was great to see. Maybe a new title ?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry I didn't see your video, John. This is a small-ish forum so you're not going to get thousands of views for a very long time.

8. John West

Registered

Not looking for thousands of views or even hundreds. I have enough views other places to last me all my years (i.e., nearly 1 Million in one thread alone). What I wanted was to add value to this site and, in the process, find out if anyone here was interested in the content. Not getting a single response, I changed some of the content to better fit a different audience and posted it elsewhere.

Producing videos can be a lot of work. Like most seniors, my time is quite precious and better spent trying to add value where it will do the most good. I would love to help this site become more active and dynamic but the general photo/video thing probably isn't a good match for this site (e.g., I couldn't edit my original post to change the video URL if I wanted to).

Marie Mallery and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It looks to me like quite a few people have shown an interest in your thread, @John West , even without it having a good descriptive thread title.
    If you want to add the video back again in another post, and keep the thread going, I can change the title to a more descriptive one, so people will know what the thread is about.
    Titles that do not say what the thread is about often do not get much traffic because people are not aware of what the topic actually is.

If you do not want to post your videos, then we can just delete the whole thread, whichever you prefer ?

John West likes this.
  10. John West

Registered

OK, I will give it another try by replying to the original post with new text/links. Perhaps a more descriptive post title would be Old Fart Learns To Fly A Camera

11. John West

Registered

Old Fart Learns To Fly A Camera And Not Run Into Things: Having gotten a drone as an aerial camera to take along on my motorcycle adventures last year, the drone's software/firmware was recently updated so the pilot could plan and fly a specific path. The drone model itself (i.e., A Skydio 2) has excellent obstacle avoidance software, giving you a modicum of comfort that your expensive, flying camera won't crash as it follows that path. After a number of test flights around the house and yard, I took to the field for my first, real-world test. The objective was to capture an aerial view of the Princeton, MA, common. It should be noted that Princeton was once a major resort town in the mid 1800s to early 1900s that sported 12 or so hotels and inns around and near the common. They're all gone now.

Comments, criticisms, thoughts and suggestions welcomed. I have more videos if people are interested.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice job. That area is beautiful. The music is well done, too. Is that from the Youtube music library or your own?

John West likes this.
  13. Al Amoling

Registered

Having spent 20 years living in Acton/Boxborough I'm familiar with Princeton. Honestly I look forward to seeing other towns that I'm familiar with.

John West likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would love to see more of the historical old buildings from around the late 1800’s/early 1900’s if you have more of these. The ones on this video are amazing , @John West.
    You do a great job flying that Drone !

John West likes this.
  15. John West

Registered

Music came from the Cyberlink PowerDirectors (i.e., a video editor) stock library. Hope to show you even more beautiful areas in the next day or two. That said, here's one for the road - a nightcap, so to speak.

This video was done before the drone had the updated keyframe function, meaning there was no pre-planning the flight path and drone/camera position. Also, I was in the middle of a very steep learning curve and camera moves were not the best.