Driving For Uber Or Lyft, A Possibility For Seniors?

Discussion in 'Senior Employment' started by Yvonne Smith, Mar 13, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

My daughter has been telling me about using the Uber or Lyft services when she travels instead of having to rent a car unless she needs to do a lot of driving. She said that it looks to her like it might be an interesting way to make some extra money, and after she showed me how it works, I think that it is something that I might like doing.
    I think that it could be a good part or fulltime job for a senior who likes people and likes to drive. The way it works is that when a person requests an Uber driver, Uber sends out a notice that shows where the passenger is at and where they want to go. The driver can then make the decision of whether to take that job or not, and if they choose to do it, then they respond to Uber and let them know that they will pick up the passenger.
    The passenger then sees a little map that shows where the Uber driver is coming from and shows his progress as he drives to your location. The app also has a picture of the driver and description of the vehicle that he is driving.
    You use your credit card to pay for the ride, so you always know how much you will be charged before you ever get in the Uber vehicle, and the driver is motivated to get you there as fast as possible, which some taxi drivers are not motivated to do.

To be an Uber/Lyft driver, you must pass license requirements and background check, and your vehicle must also meet requirements and be a later model car, depending on the area where you live. In Huntsville, the earliest year you can use is 2008; but outside of Huntsville (or Birmingham) you can drive one as old as a 2002.
    Since you only take the jobs you want to take, you can drive as little or as much as you want, and can stay in areas where you feel comfortable driving. If you do not want to drive in traffic or at night, you do not have to take any jobs during those times.

If we had a vehicle that was new enough to drive for Uber or Lyft, I think that I would like doing this. I could take short daytime jobs that were nearby, and make a little extra money. It seems to me that this is something that could work really well for seniors who want some extra income and not to be tied down to a regular job.
    When Robin and I went to Seattle , we took Lyft from the hotel back out to the airport to come back home, and I was able to see first hand how well it worked. I don’t think that our driver even knew very much English, but he was a good driver and knew his way around and was comfortable driving in Seattle traffic.
    I was impressed.

Von Jones likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

We use Uber all the time when we're in Washington, DC or Virginia. Typically, our drivers will tell us that they are financing their car by driving for Uber. Most of them drive part-time, but some have told us that it was a full-time job for them.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

We're having a lot of trouble with Uber drivers in this country. In many cities and towns Uber have had their licence revoked for various illegal practices.. both from the company and their drivers..

4. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

It's probably happening everywhere just not in the news, yet.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Since there are so many people who drive for Uber and Lyft, it would make sense that more of them would get the position; and not be qualified for doing it; but it looks to me like they are being pretty strict about who can drive for them, and the restrictions will probably increase until they are getting only good drivers.
    My daughter, Robin, has thought about doing this part time on the weekends, and one of the things that makes it attractive to a lot of people is probably the independence that you have when you drive for one of these companies. It is not like becoming a taxi cab driver where you have to take whatever calls come in, or have to work set hours. You just drive when you want to take a request, so some people would be doing this full time, and other people would just be making a little extra spending money, or making their car payments this way.
    There is a rating given for each driver after every trip they make, so you can report anything good or bad that happened when you were taking an Uber, and then if you want to leave them a tip, you do that from the app as well, so no money ever changes hands between the passenger and the driver.
    This in itself, should make it safer for drivers, because they are not likely to be robbed since they are not carrying money.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Pretty much all of our experiences with Uber have been pleasant, and none have been unpleasant. Keep in mind that Uber has stepped on some toes when they came out with a model to allow regular people to compete with the taxi industry so there are people, particularly in the media, who will jump on any negative publicity they can find.

One of our Uber drivers worked at the Pentagon so he cut past some heavy traffic by going through the Pentagon parking lot at closing time. On his phone display, he can see where other on-duty Uber drivers are in the area, and you could see drivers going on duty throughout the parking lot, as they got off duty at the Pentagon. He said that a lot of the people at the Pentagon drove for Uber, and some of the same ones also drive for Lyft. When they get off from their job at the Pentagon, they do Uber for a couple of hours before going home.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Von Jones

Von Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, why should there be a semi-monopoly with the taxi service.

I've seen a lot of independent transportation services available in the city here. Plenty of people need it when they don't or can't drive for whatever the reason. Having to wait on a taxi is a pain.

8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

For those who are people persons and really like to drive...I think this would be a good way to make some extra money. :)