Driver's License Requirements

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 9, 2020.

1. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Same in Virginia back then.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. John Brunner

Personally, I wish the standards were universally higher.

3. John Brunner

Since we're on this subject, I gotta tell a story.

When I first moved into my house up north in the mid 70s, my neighbors were an elderly retired couple...both well into their 80s. She had been a school teacher, and he had done maintenance at the White House (so likely began during W. Wilson's administration.) She drove, he did not.

She was rather fragmented, one day asking me to break into her house because she had locked herself out. So I found a way in, did a quick look around, and did not see her keys laying out. When I told her, she dug through her purse and sheepishly produced them from underneath a pile of crap in there. There were other similar events.

She had an Oldsmobile Delta 88, a big boat of a car, she would drive around town with her head peeking just above the dash through the steering wheel. So one day I was doing yard work, and saw her, her husband, and someone I did not recognize. I walked over and my neighbor introduced me to her sister, who was in from Michigan. Noticing there was no other car in the driveway, I asked the woman if she flew in. "Oh, no." She said. "My sister came and picked me up." :eek:

So this elderly scattered woman who could barely see over her dashboard and who drove around town at 10 MPH made it from Virginia to Michigan and back, and later made the same round trip again to take her sister home!!!!!

I was concurrently impressed and horrified.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ask your agent if the premium will be reduced if you 'exclude' him from the policy. That means he'd have absolutely no coverage under that policy.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i have state farm insurance--when i lived by myself my in surance was about 450 a year--i moved in with my daughter and i have to pay xtra for every driver in the house even tho they never drive my car

6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I know that insurance rules vary by state to state. However I never have seen anything about who is driving on our policies. Any licensed driver is covered while operating any of our vehicles. Are you all saying that a driver not listed on your policy is not covered?

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No. I am saying that my husband doesn't drive, does not have a driver's license to drive, medically can't drive but is listed as a non-driver on my policy. I question why is this?

Faye Fox and Frank Sanoica like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When I lived in Texas, I know that I had to be on my wife's policy, and she had to be on my policy, despite the fact that we each had our own cars, which we owned before we were married. Presumably, if one or the other of us would have had a bad driving record, it would have reflected on both of our policies. I don't know if that's the case in Maine. Since we don't have bad driving records, it hasn't been an issue.

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No; we are saying that some insurance companies require all licensed drivers in a household be covered by the policy (and reflected in the premium) :rolleyes:. Though in Von's case, her husband isn't even a licensed driver so what the heck.

When my oldest son went off to college and then was a rolling stone around the country, he kept his Texas driver's license with my address. Each year Allstate tried to increase our policy premiums unless we specifically excluded my son though he didn't actually live here any longer. He just didn't have a permanent address other than this one.

10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes both her license and mine are listed on the policy. But casual drivers are insured. If I lend my brother my truck and he has an accident,insurance will cover just as if I was driving.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I called and waited almost 20 minutes because I wanted to speak to a person. Anyway I finally got to speak with Becky and of course I was told exactly what I was told two years ago. She didn't understand until I interrupted her and explained the purpose of my call. So I was told that because Johnny is my spouse and a member of the household it is the company's policy that he is required to be listed. (No state law). He is noted as a non-driver on the policy (behind the scenes) but not on my insurance card where he is listed as a driver.

I expressed that I felt uncomfortable about that and I felt his name shouldn't be any where on the policy because he isn't even a 'non-driver.' (A non-driver can be removed and have no coverage at all.) I also asked about the premium with Johnny being listed under 'Drivers'. She said no because he doesn't have a license. 'No, duh.'

It still doesn't set well with me and I told her it was very confusing. I will probably get a satisfaction survey, I waiting for it.

I just remembered Becky stated that having Johnny listed on the policy because we're married helps lower my premium. Really, how? It doesn't make any sense.

Ok, I just googled about unlicensed spouses on car insurance and it states that spouses must be listed on the policy regardless of driving status no states exempted.

Ok, that answers my question.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Here in Alabama, our license is good for 4 years, and we just discovered that we can renew it online, which is happy news ! Bobby got an expiration notice in the mail, and it gave the option of renewing online, and since mine is expiring in July, I went online to see if I could renew mine now, too. The information said that it can be renewed up to 180 days ahead of time, so a person actually has quite a bit of time to do their renewal.

Bobby does most of the driving now, but it seemed like a good thing to keep my license renewed in case I am driving somewhere.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We just got our Kansas DL earlier this month.He is 68 me 74 ,good for 4 years/ Did have to take eye test.

Faye Fox likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Here are Virginia's requirements for renewing:
    • Most Virginia driver’s licenses last for eight years. When those eight years nearly complete, it’s time to renew.
    • You can renew online, by mail, or in person as early as one year before your license expires.
    • You must renew your license in person every other renewal cycle.
    • When you renew in person, you must do the following:
    1. Pay the renewal fees
    2. Pass the vision screening
    3. Have a new photograph taken
    4. Prove legal presence, if required

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

When we moved to North Caroline in 2007, both of us had to take a written test for our DL's. Wife passed with no problems, but I missed with the most that could be missed and still get a DL.

When we moved to northeastern Florida (Jacksonville), neither of us had to take a written test, but did require a vision test.

When we moved back to Colorado, again, no written test, but a vision test was required. Luckily, I had total Laser Cataract Surgery in both eyes, and new lenses put in, a year before our move back.

In moving to Nevada later, no written test, but vision test is required.