Drive In Movie -- Blast From The Past

Discussion in 'Movies' started by K E Gordon, Jul 4, 2016.

1. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

locally here we have two. we used to hide in the trunk. im not sure if its still open

[​IMG]

Joe Riley and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

Seems like we all have goodmemories of the drve in. I still would like to see them make a resurgence.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joe Riley

That last image, "Thing-O-Rama" : 3700 West Van Buren could very well have been in Phoenix. In the '50s and even '60s not much had been developed there on Van Buren beyond 35th. Ave. Frank

Joe Riley likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There have been a few new drive-ins established in recent years, where they can find a niche market, but I haven't been to one since high school. Are they depending on people our age, for nostalgia, or are they finding a young audience?

When we went to the one in Menominee, Michigan, in my high school years, we paid per person, so we might slip a couple of people in the trunk. I never went as a young child because our church frowned on theaters, as well as playing cards (even without gambling) and dancing.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson

All the towns and locations you have mentioned in MI sound familiar to me. My grandparents lived near Sawyer, my Grandmother's brother had a nice place near there, with a year-round flowing spring. He drove a pipe horizontally into the hillside, from which delicious water flowed year-round. That pipe emptied it's flow into a round cavernous ravine, the center of which was upraised. Thus he created a nice, man-made lake (pond would be better), always receiving fresh input water. Stocked it with fish.

My own parents investigated the possibility of retiring near Allegan, by the National Forest. They wound up having a nice house built near Three Oaks. Michigan was the summertime paradise for us kids, normally confined to suburban Chicago!

Are you aware of anything relating to the "House of David"? A religious sect near Benton Harbor. My Dad took me there once at about age 13. They ran an amusement park type operation, complete with a steam train ride. Frank

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, I am not familiar with the House of David. Although I travelled throughout the UP, I grew up near the Wisconsin border so am not as familiar with the northern part of the UP as with the southern part.

As for drive-in theaters, there was a news story not long ago about a new drive-in theater being built near Bangor but I haven't heard anything about it lately.

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

9. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I hope you do Corrie. They are pretty unique. I most admit My legs did get a little cramped from sitting in basically one postion for a few hours though. I could have used a calf muscle rub! They do have alot of outdoor movies, but not many drive ins.

Corie Henson likes this.
  10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

My parents took us alot when we were young. There was one not far away. OF course some of those movies were pretty age inappropriate. I remember seeing the Hustler with them when I was about 4 years old and that scene where the guy gets his thumb broken freaked me out! I didn't sleep much I don't think. Anyway, good times!

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Here in Hawaii on Oahu we had drive-ins a long time ago. Now they all converted to swap meets or what is known as flea markets. We loved them for we could go comfortably and buy food when we like to so we stayed near the concession when we went to the drive ins when I was younger. A bit more about Kam Drive In we used to go to when I was young here.

[​IMG]
    image from http://cinematreasures.org/theaters/6414

K E Gordon likes this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Recently there was a drive in movie place built here where we live. However doubt we will ever go, as with hubby being
    off work so long, we have seen all we care to on the tube. My first date was at a drive in, seeing Tora Tora... nop, remember very little
    as war is not my thing...but he liked it.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Gloria Mitchell - ha ha, my first blind date (and last) was at the movies, we saw 'Where Eagles Dare'
    and no, don't remember it :p

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Depending on the kind of vehicle a person had, those speakers could scratch the window or wouldn't stay hooked on. And, on top of that, there were times a person would turn the knob for volume and the speaker wouldn't work.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.