Drinking Soda

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Corie Henson, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was not fond of soda or the so called soft drinks here. But when I married, my husband had influenced me since he is a Coke addict - he couldn't eat without a Coke unless the dish is a soup dish. Especially when the viand is fried or a sauce dish, Coke will always be there. And since the weather is often hot, I had been tempted most of the time.

Now I am drinking Sprite although my sister who is a nurse said that I should stay away from soda, any kind of soda, because of its sugar content. I have difficulty in losing weight and my sister attributes it to my drinking soda regularly.

Krissttina Isobe and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We use to drink regular root beer, but, due to sugar content of regular root beer, now drink diet root beer. My opinion, and I have worked in Senior Health Care before, soda's can be bad for health depending on how much a person drinks. Generally, wife and I will split a 16 oz bottle of diet root beer or have some with a scoop of "No Sugar Added" vanilla ice cream, or what is called a "Root Beer Float". We are both Diabetic II, so we really have to watch our sugar intake, but that doesn't mean we cut sugar completely out of our diet. It's like drinking alcohol......... a lot is one thing, a beer/drink now and then is another.

Some people are just completely "health conscience" and watch everything they eat and drink. We don't do that.

Corie Henson and Joe Riley like this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Corie, you give new meaning to the term "Coke addict"! I like to drink Pepsi and A&W Root beer. Snapple Ice-tea is my cold drink of choice in the Summer. I have never enjoyed drinking Diet sodas.

4. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I drink mostly a favored tea I purchase at Aldis. Coffee and orange juice in the morning. Very little soda these days except when we order pizza, then I need a cold Pepsi to go with it.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I mostly quit drinking soft drinks (pop, soda, carbonated beverages, or whatever) a few years ago, but I will occasionally have a Moxie, ginger beer, or one of the ones made by small local bottling companies, or when I come across something that usually isn't available here, such as Vernor's or Cheer Wine. When it's hot, like today, I am more apt to drink it, which is why I bought a six pack of Goslings Ginger Beer yesterday.

6. Sarah Price

Sarah Price Veteran Member
    Registered

Even though I am a senior, I do still drink (diet) pop. It's not the only thing I drink but I definitely have not given it up. In my parent's generation, pop wasn't nearly as popular especially in the older ages. My dad never drank it. He didn't like it.

I have a big sweet tooth, but for some reason I prefer diet pop rather than regular. I think the regular is too syrupy for my tastes.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I mentioned it earlier, but my new favorite is Gosling Ginger Beer. I don't buy it often because it is, after all, a soft drink that probably isn't the best thing in the world for me. But, particularly in the summer heat, an iced ginger beer hits the spot.

[​IMG]

8. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

There was a Coca-Cola bottling plant in my town, so my soda of choice was Coke. My wife's granddad used to run the Coke plant. It's all long gone now.

Corie Henson likes this.
  9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

With all the information about artificial sweeteners that's been around for years I'm really surprised that so many seniors still drink "diet" sodas.

10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

These days I seldom drink soda pop anymore. I had to give up my drink of choice, beer and replaced it with club soda, which is just carbonated water. It has no sugar, no calories, just the fizz.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I am diabetic so when I drink a soft drink it is diet. I buy a 12 pack of diet soda once a week and that lasts me the entire month. My drink of choice is ice water, but I do drink ice tea or a sugar free powdered drink mix on occasion. Whatever I chose to drink it has to have a lot of ice in it. I live in North Alabama where it is really hot in the summer so iced drinks are very popular. I do like to stop at Sonic on rare occasion and indulge in a diet cherry limeaide. Love those.

12. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Just about the only fast food we ever eat is Sonic. Once or twice a year at most though. A hamburger or some other sandwich and a LARGE order of onion rings for each of us. Washed down with some flavor of malt.

13. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been buying the little 7.5 ounce cans of Pepsi. Just enough for this old stomach. They are packed eight cans in a sleeve.

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I have drank diet soda for many years, and now the taste of sugar-sweetened soda is like a syrup for me, and I can't even stand the taste.
    Then, I started reading about all of the health dangers from using the sugar-free drinks, and that started me on my decision not to drink those either.
    Not only are they dangerous because they contain bad chemicals (formaldehyde in Splenda, as an example); but they also actually cause people to gain weight, and I sure do not need any help in that department.

As odd as it seems, our body picks up the sweet taste of a diet soda (or other drink), and it cannot tell the difference between artificial sweetener and the real sugar; so it sends out more insulin.
    Insulin tells the bloodstream to store the sugar in our blood as fat; so then we get more fat stored, plus we now have a low blood sugar count, and that makes us hungry.
    So then we eat to help bring the blood sugar back up, and if we then eat something that triggers the insulin again, it perpetuates the cycle.

After reading that, I decided that just plain carbonated water was the best thing for me to drink, too. While I do treat myself to a diet soda now and then, I try to avoid drinking anything that is sweetened anymore.

15. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

The only soft drinks I ever touch are pure fruit juices. I cannot abide anything that is sweet and fizzy and that goes for beer as well. I've got enough bad habits as it is without adding to them and as Hunter S Thompson, "good people drink good beer." I'll try to stick to that concept.