Downtime

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Bobby Cole and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Well, that's the longest we've ever been down. I was afraid we weren't coming back up. Although they have apparently corrected the problem, I have not heard from my hosting company's tech support. However, I did note that there was a notice that they had been acquired by another hosting company, so here is what I think happened.

I came to my (formerly) current hosting company when they were acquired by another company, at which time the site also went down for a day or so because the nameservers had changed. As occurred this time, I was getting no response from tech support, probably because I was dealing with all different people and things were in flux. I eventually contacted the new company via Facebook and they fixed it.

I am pretty sure the same thing happened this time. They may or may not have posted a notice in advance of this but, since I don't hang out on the hosting company's site, I didn't see it. There may be a slight downtime again in the near future because I am still using the nameservers from the original hosting company, and I have asked if it would help if I changed them to direct to the new host. If so, there may be a period while the DNS is catching up to the change.

You may or may not know what this means, but I'm pretty sure that's it.

Sorry about the downtime. I didn't see it coming. I hope everyone finds their way back here.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2021
  4. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for the update.Ken.

5. Ken Anderson

I will give my new web host a chance to see how things are going, but I am looking for another option. I found another company that specializes in forum hosting, and they will do the migration for me if I pay for three years of hosting fees in advance. Actually, I think they'll do it if I pay for a year in advance but the discounts are better for three years. I am going to keep that in mind.

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Ken. That explains why I couldn't log in yesterday.

Ken Anderson and Frank Sanoica like this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Von Jones
    @Ken Anderson

Surprising coincidence, last Saturday at 6PM our internet went out, along with our phone land line and TV, all provided by Frontier Communication. I think I noted failure of SOF before that happened, not sure.

My wife got antsier as the hours went by, for my part, I was not greatly moved by the loss of this worldwide scheme enveloping all of us, like it or not. Overnight, no internet, could not call to inquire, even cells were giving "fast busy" signal. Sunday morning, important in that my wife normally converses with kin in Indiana, she was nearly beside herself. Later in the day, her cell "pinged", having picked up a call from her sister, who told of hearing rumor on the Laughlin Buzz (which we of course were shut out of), a crew had severed a fiber optic cable near the airport, and by least interpretation, internet was out from Needles, CA all the way up to Kingman, AZ, we being in between, a distance of 65 miles, or by worst estimate, ELEVEN STATES were affected. Take your choice. Media said nothing, as did our local newspaper, until it was all over. Finally, we were back on Monday morning.

So, I figgered if WE were out, and SOF was out, nothing was to be achieved by belly-achin'.

Frank

8. Ken Anderson

Yes, we had a brief period of downtime a few moments ago. I feared we were done because our web host's site itself was down, but they - and us - are back up. I am going to see if they left a note or something about what occurred.

9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken was is something I said LOL
    Thank you for keeping us posted

10. Ken Anderson

I mentioned not long ago, in some thread, that my web host had been acquired by another company, which is the second time that has happened since I started this forum. I think what happened is that they pulled the plug on hosting from the old host and moved it to the new one, and that was the reason for the downtime.

I don't know for sure because my login doesn't work on the new hosting company. I have contacted someone there to work something out. Hopefully, this won't be a problem for us.

11. Ken Anderson

Although the forum itself hasn't been down, some of you may have lost your connection to it, as I did. There has been a massive Internet failure, particularly on the East Coast, affecting connections and applications using Amazon AWS. My Internet here has been sporadic for hours now, as I have been alternating between being unable to connect to the Internet at all, being able to connect to some sites, but not others, and things working okay.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Here I experienced something which started with our landline, then I couldn't log on some FB games that I play and still can't on one of them. No problem on the internet any where else.

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

As you may have noticed (or maybe not, because it was pretty late or early in the morning), we were down for a while, I don't know how long. It was a server problem. I haven't checked for a reply yet but I see that the site's back up. There was no problem on this end; rather, it was a server problem, as others on the same server were down. I was pretty concerned when tech support didn't get back to me right away as they usually do, but I suppose they were dealing with a lot of people. Anyhow, we're still here.

Don Alaska and Von Jones like this.
  14. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know of a forum that has a 'back up' forum so that if members can't get in to the main one for some time,
    they can go to the back up where the Admin can keep them informed of what is going on.

15. Ken Anderson

I use the Facebook page for that: https://www.facebook.com/seniorsonlyclub/