Double-slit Experiment

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by John Houlihan, Sep 4, 2022.

1. John Houlihan

John Houlihan Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The double-slit experiment is one of things that led to quantum physics. If you have never heard of it, maybe you should watch the short 5-minute video that I uploaded. Although the video uses a cartoon character called Dr Quantum, the explanation is accurate and will you give you a basic understanding of how incredible consciousness is. Here is the link to the Double-Slit Experiment:

What do you think about it? If you are astonished by the experiment, welcome to the club. I believe even the quantum physicists may not fully understand what is going on. Feel free to speculate because it's a phenomenon along with a few others that I would like to figure out or at least try to understand better.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have watched that experiment at least a dozen times and “sat in” on a few on-line lectures but it still amazes me.

When I first came upon the slit experiment I was doing a laymen’s type of review concerning Einstein’s “spooky action” or rather, particle entanglement and came upon an idea that the two subjects are related.
    Sadly, many of those who understand the maths better than I say they’re not but I still contend that once the electrons are observed and the superposition is a phase of order rather than interference, to me, it’s highly indicative of entanglement.

Perhaps the defining points are made in the maths and the correlation between wave states and particle systems that has me thrown because it is said that only two (or perhaps more) “systems” can become entangled.

And the wheels on the bus go round and round…..

3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm sure no quantum physics expert not even in the same 'realm' but I think it has something to do with the matter aka 'spiritual if you will' aka maybe dark natter?
    Maybe the split confused the atoms?:D

I know for an absolute fact [ I know there is no 'absolute 'facts] that there is matter, then there is spirit or dark matter. I've had a couple out of body experiences that proves to me there more than matter that matters, :cool:.

Maybe the atoms divided?

John Houlihan likes this.
  4. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought a couple of quantum physics books for my grandson. They were written for a child's mind but today's children's minds are lightyears ahead of mine. This proves that there is a lot more to be discovered about our universe.

5. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Closer to home, on one plane and a bit easier to understand :

6. John Houlihan

Registered

Good morning Bobby,

Like you, I have watched the slit experiment at least a dozen times. I can see why it drove physicists crazy and probably still does. The spooky action at the end of the video has always blown my mind. Why do the electrons change their behavior because someone or something is watching? Are electrons somehow conscious of being watched? May sound nuts but reality seems so much stranger than ever.

Before I read your post, I already was thinking that Double-slit and Entanglement were somehow related. So, we seem to have the same intuition about the slit-entanglement issue. Your possible solution of phase of order rather than interference is over my head. I wish I understood what it means. Would you care to explain with a simple explanation or do you have a link that would help me get the basic idea.

A final point on entanglement. Because all particles were in a tiny dot at the instant of the Big Bang, all particles in the Universe may be entangled. In other words, we and everything are all connected in some way. Is this possible? Am I missing something?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    Marie Mallery and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Marie,

Hey, I like your insight of Dark Matter. I had not taken Dark Matter and Dark Energy into account. I had to google it to find out that Dark Matter is 27% of the Universe and Dark Energy is 68%, a total of 95% of the Universe. The remaining 5% of the Universe is all scientists know anything about. They don't have a clue to what is in the remaining 95% of our Universe. So Marie, your suggestion that DM may be spiritual is thinking out of the box. I love it! In fact, maybe the mysterious 95% that scientists know nothing about is God. Or at least, the 95% unknown can be a metaphor for God, Allah, Brahman, or whatever name the higher power is.

I never had an out-of-body experience yet, but I wish I had. I agree with you that there is more than matter that matters. If you feel like it, tell us more about the out-of-body experiences. I am deeply interested in out-of-body, near-death experiences, reincarnation, past-life regressions, etc. Stay well.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2022
    Mary Stetler and Marie Mallery like this.
  8. Marie Mallery

Registered

Thanks again and I'll tell my, 'out of body' experience's in the ' Conspiracies and Paranormal forum later today,
    I'll tag you when I do.

9. Marie Mallery

Registered

Oh my, I hope not.:eek:

10. John Houlihan

Registered

Hi Mary,

Amen! There is a great deal more to be discovered about our universe. Aside from the fact that scientists only know about 5% of the Universe and still have about 95% more to learn, there is now the latest explanation about reality. Some scientists are seriously looking at the idea that we live inside a computer simulation. Sounds very far out but there is a serious discussion going on. Here is an excerpt from a recent article:
    -------------------------
    DO WE LIVE IN A SIMULATION?
    Simulation theory posits the universe as we know it is an advanced digital construct overseen by some higher form of intelligence. This concept has been debated since the Enlightenment, but there is no definitive answer.
    -------------------------

I really like the part about "overseen by some higher form of intelligence". Wow, sounds somebody believes in a higher power.

You can find a lot of links to the simulation hypothesis by googling it. Here one link I found:

https://builtin.com/hardware/simulation-theory

Yvonne Smith and Marie Mallery like this.
  11. John Houlihan

Registered

Great. I will watch for your tag.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Perhaps I should have narrowed it down to 2 phases and each phase having differing properties regarding single and double slits.
    The first phase being the one indicative of electron particles traveling in an orderly and predictable fashion whereas the secondary phase is one that demonstrates wave interference hence the multiple lines.

My question with the 2nd phase of the experiment has to do with wave interference because to me, it looks and acts like a mathematical dance rather than some random interference much the same as making a called combination shot on a pool table. If true, that too is indicative of an entangled state just as does the 3rd part of the experiment dealing with observed particles.

Much of my own interest in quantum mechanics comes from my studies concerning the real definition and diagram of “thought”. Thus far, there is none but through it all the word consciousness keeps creeping into the equation tying itself to my initial research.
    It’s a tangled mess thus far.
    Consciousness can be defined but can’t be proven; thought precedes brain wave activity but yet cannot be defined and we know that chemical reactions resulting from a stimulus results in emotion but yet the emotion itself (laughing, smiling, crying etc) cannot be defined.
    Entanglement suggests consciousness and consciousness suggests thought ergo the universe itself is in a conscious state.

It is no wonder why it is said that God has a sense of humor.

John Houlihan and Marie Mallery like this.
  13. Bruce Andrew

Bruce Andrew Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Dang, I thought this thread was gonna be something about women's skirts. [​IMG]

Speaking of women, I wonder if @Faye Fox has sobered up yet? [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting, John. Thanks for sharing. This is the first I've heard of the experiment but I'm definitely no quantum physicist. My ex-husband is a professor of chemical/biomedical engineering but other than typing his papers when he was in grad school I have no scientific background whatsoever.

John Houlihan and Faye Fox like this.
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't realize I was drunk. Very strange since I am a very infrequent drinker other than my nightly brandy gargle and that is medical. I think I have drunk three beers this summer. I will catch up on this topic later. I need to get my thoughts together on quantum physics and review this thread.

Bruce Andrew and John Houlihan like this.