Don't You Hate It?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Carlota Clemens, Jun 13, 2015.

1. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Since several years ago, but particularly lately that the number of Internet users has increased substantially, publicists tend to portray seniors as a kind of retards whose "big" achievement in life is have learned to turn on a computer after a really retard-looking youngster have taught him/her how to do it.

For young adults, teenagers and children coming into the online world is novelty and wonder, but for most of us this is an aged topic of not major relevance at all because most of us have been online for years!

Even for those who have come recently, and might have come after their children let them know how, what really upsets me is the advertising tagging seniors as individuals that are behind what's going on, and really fool to get into technology.

Any thought on this you want to share?

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Our generation are the ones that used the first computers where patience was indeed a very much needed virtue. Our input into those primitive home desktops helped the development of what is used today and of which we should justifiably take credit for.

All problems were shared to get through problems and pass on tips and these help/discussion sessions were also the forerunners to what is now Social groups which is also thanks to us oldies.

Its nice to know that this latest generation are just improving on what we started Carlota [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm reminded of a day when I was in a shop looking for a laptop. The assistant, who was a lad either in his late teens or just out of them, was talking to me as though I were a particularly slow-witted small child. When I suggested that I actually knew a little about IT matters, having spent some considerable years as a computer programmer and systems analyst, the look on his face was quite something to behold.

4. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

You do have to smile though Tom. I show them the photo below and tell them it was when my laptop was delivered. Most of today's generation would be just as lost with our old type computers/floppy dics etc along with dial phones. And I doubt if they could cope with dial up. (Remember the dial up tone that could make or break you [​IMG] )

[​IMG]

Diane Lane, Von Jones and Tom Locke like this.
  5. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Before I was a programmer, I was a computer operator for a while. Paper tape (great fun piecing broken paper tape together), punched cards, magnetic tape and discs that weighed about 18 tons and gave you forearms like Popeye...those were the days!

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Did my teleprinting time Tom and how scary do they look now :)

[​IMG]

7. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Here's an implement I remember from my early days of programming:

Hand-operated_Card_Punch-2.jpg

Once you'd been doing it for a while, you could really get those fingers moving...

8. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I learned long ago that when it comes to things like computers and electronics I am certain I know more then the kid working at Best Buy, or half of the geek squad for that fact. ironic isn't it? The thought that seniors are totally lost on this stuff. I was on the internet way before it was what it is today, I have to laugh because if today's youth had to endure what we did they might have very well given up. The joy of waiting while a single image loaded for 20 minutes, and golly no streaming anything. Awwwh remember when animated gifs first started, boy that seemed so cool didn't it.

i will say though that some of this phone stuff is just to much for me, there are a few phones that just do not seem to make to much sense in the way that they are designed out for usage. The Iphone seems to be pretty straight forward, but I would pass on some of the others for sure.

Carlota Clemens likes this.
  9. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I do hate it when it is implied that anyone over thirty has no idea what to do with a computer. I worked as a programmer also, worked at Fannie Mae on the conversion from paper data to computers, the first savings and loan and bank big housing breakdown. Yep, I know a think or two about computers.

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think it is so much of the computer but the software for it. There is software for everything.

I've taken apart a computer just to see the inside of it for myself. I had the specs beside me so that I could tell what was what. Now understanding the jargon is another story.:eek:

Diane Lane and Carlota Clemens like this.
  11. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Now that you mention it this can be annoying. After all, we know more about computers the younger generation. We were around when these first came into exitstence, if those kids saw those large wall units they would be intimadated, yet for us that was the introduction to the computer. Also, we learn to type on a little ancient device (well to kids it is) known as the typewriter. To me this taught me more about the proper keyboard then a laptop does. So, I say we have a bit more experience and instead of treating us like we are dumb about technology how about treating us with the respect because we have our own knowledge to share about technology and where it has been.

Val White and Carlota Clemens like this.
  12. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

This recalls me my first encounter with a computer in the mid-70s when my father took me to visit a friend at the programming department in a bank. They used huge computers, if not like this, very close and, if my memory serves me good, they were programmed in Cobol, not sure about this fact, but remember they had to use perforated cards with a sequence of numbers 0 and 1 that I liked to have for playing purposes, hence the good guy used to give me all of those that were mistakenly perforated.

Yes, we are more knowledgeable that most people believe we are, and if it weren't for our generation, we might probably be using computers like the one portrayed here, or any of the other devices in those photos posted above, LOL

Val White likes this.
  13. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

COBOL, now you're talking...I wonder how many COBOL programs I wrote. Thousands of them.

14. Jennifer Graves

Jennifer Graves Veteran Member
    Registered

I know how to use the computer and surf the web. But that's all. I tried to resist the Internet for a very long time!! It just got too inconvienant to not have it.

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a job in the mid-80's where i used a computer, and it was one of the old ones that used MS-DOS to run on. I didn't really learn a lot about it, except what I needed to know for my job.
    I am one of those people who has a terrible time just trying to re-load a stapler (I used to steal a co-worker's stapler when mine ran out of staples ----honest , I was that bad !), and anything mechanical just boggles my brain.
    So, I didn't have a computer after I left that job until the early 1990's when my daughter went into the military, and was stationed in Germany.
    Between the time difference and her busy schedule, we could barely talk on the phone, and then it was just a quick conversation because she was at a payphone and other people waiting in line behind her for their turn to call home.
    So, in desperation (one of my usual motivators in life) , I got a computer so I could learn to send emails to Robin.
    I guess, after that, I was hooked, and have had a computer ever since; but I am certainly not a wizard with them, and have been very thankful that all of my kids understand about computers, and can teach me how to work them when I got baffled by something.
    And the sales people never talk to me like I don't know anything when I am shopping for new equipment. I suppose that has something to do with the fact that my Robin is the one who takes me shopping, and picks out what ever it is that she thinks I need......