Don't Rent. Sell!

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Bobby Cole, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I just started a new project for a friend of ours. He and his wife own a small convenience store and they have 4 houses abutting the store property and one of them needs some repairs after the last renters moved out. At first I thought it might be fairly easy because I had renovated the home almost 8 years ago and the house has only had 2 renters since. Man was I mistaken!!!!

The last renters had dogs. Not just dogs but big dogs. 6 big dogs which they kept either in a kennel outside or on cold nights and days they kept them locked in the kitchen.
    I had to pull the cabinets out, rip the paneling and drywall out and am now getting ready to prep for new drywall and cabinets. The whole house is a wreck and I think what I am going to do is throw you guys a couple of pictures and then post a couple more as the renovation progresses.

It's been my experience that some renters are not good people. The property doesn't belong to them and beyond their rent they have no other obligations to keep the place in order. I have seen places that look like someone took a sledge hammer to the toilets, ceramic tile floors and anything else that could be broken but this time is one of those times when I would like to find the renters and give them some 2x4 Justice.

I've taken a shower and still cannot get the smell of urine and thousands of cockroaches out of my system.
    Here's a couple of pic's of the kitchen walls. image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Mari North

Mari North Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh dear! That's disgusting what people can do in such a short time! I hope your friend had a high enough security deposit collected to cover these damages. Plus it must have been real hard seeing the home you renovated yourself looking like this. :(

3. Sacheen BrightEagle

Sacheen BrightEagle Well-Known Member
    Registered

Bobby, what a disgusting mess those renters left. There is absolutely no excuse for abusing property that way. When I was young, I lived in a small house. We had six cats, a large furry dog, and, ultimately, a small child. When,

after sixteen years, we moved, that house was immaculate. My landlord gave me a sterling reference. How disappointing for you and the owners to be faced with this situation.

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

For a while, I owned a house in Los Fresnos, Texas. It was only a few years old, and was in very good shape. During the five years that I lived there, I had very few problems and those that I had were minor. When I accepted a job with an ambulance company in McAllen, about eighty miles away or so, the job came with a full-sized house trailer, only one room of which I needed for a classroom, so rather than spending most of my time on the road every day, I stayed in McAllen except during weekends.

I decided that I'd rent the house out, and let the rent make my mortgage payments for me. The people seemed like they'd be responsible, the man telling me that he could do most any repairs that might be necessary himself. There were the two adults and two children.

Things went well for a few months, then I was told that the roof was leaking. The house was only a few years old, and the roof shouldn't have needed any work for many years, particularly since this was in Texas, where we don't have to deal with ice damming.

The guy said he'd put the new roof on if he could take the cost of the materials out of his rent. I wasn't an expert on roofing materials but the cost seemed unusually high to me, and the new roof looked inferior to the one that had been there.

I forget what came next, but there was a series of repairs that included the plumbing, a door that was broken, and so on. I ended it when, less than a year after he had supposedly put a new roof on, I was told that the roof was leaking again. I wasn't getting any rent from him and I felt that I was being cheated, not only in the cost of materials, but I didn't believe most of that stuff even needed to be done.

Fortunately, they didn't give me any trouble about moving out. It was actually cheaper for me to leave it empty than to rent it out, and that turned out well anyhow because I took a job with the college, which was closer to home, so I move back in.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2016
  5. Bobby Cole

Registered

Security deposit? No, even if he had one it is of little use because he only charges 500 beans a month for rent. An equal amount would only cover 15% of the total cost to make things livable much less a really nice habitat.
    The bug guy alone is going to cost a couple of hundred and then I have to bleach everything down in order to get rid of the mold and smell.

The norm would be some touch-up painting and a few scuff marks on the hard wood flooring. In this case, all of the flooring has to be sanded down, stained and then hard sealed with either poly or varnish. That's all of the bedrooms, the dining room and living (or French) room. Nearly all of the door casings need to be replaced and the bathroom ceramic tile has to be taken out and replaced.

I'm going to the gym for a couple of hours and then it looks like it's going to be a rough 2 weeks after that. I'll have a couple more pictures tonight of the progress...........

Ina I. Wonder and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

What a shame. I can't imagine putting holes in walls, etc. It seems the bad tenants find good landlords, and then good tenants (like me) end up with slumlords. My parents never had any really abusive tenants (other than family, of course), but they did have a few weird ones. It seems there is always someone looking to get something for nothing, and many tenants don't care about the property, because they have no vested interest.

Ina I. Wonder and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Good grief, what a mess, but with lots of dogs in the house I can imagine how they must have just let them run riot . I'd have someone arrested if they did that to one of my properties, that's complete wilful damage.. :eek:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2016
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We have been both sorry for the dogs, and wondering why the animal control didn't pick them up a long time ago.
    The dogs are mostly pit bulls, and I think maybe a German Shepard. The yard is actually a large one ; so there was plenty of room for the dogs to run; but the owners kept them in a small pen, so that they didn't have to close the gate when they went in and out of the driveway.
    Every so often, the dogs escaped and ran through the neighborhood, attacking any other dogs they could get to as they ran. One night , they came right up the front ramp, and inside our door (which was open). Bobby grabbed a broom and chased them back outside and shut the door; but they were growling and snarling at him the whole time.
    Still, we felt bad for the dogs when they were left outside (barking) all night in bad weather. Apparently, they brought at least some of them inside and locked the dogs in the kitchen, which is why it was in such bad shape after they moved.
    We are certainly glad that they have moved out of the area, that is for sure !

Ina I. Wonder and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Registered

As the saga continues, and it is what it is! When in a situation like having to tear down walls, it might be prudent to wear blinders for there just might be other problems that one does not want to see.

I guess I could have left things alone but dern my perfectionist hide because I saw some problems that could have developed into worse problems soooooooooo, .............How about an outdoor kitchen???

Attached Files:

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So is the kitchen upside down as well as outside, @Bobby Cole?:eek:

11. Bobby Cole

Registered

Uh.......no, I don't think so. But, while I have the whole thing opened up I am considering talking to the owner about putting a sliding glass door or possibly a pass through type window opening into the back yard.

Then, if possible and the finances are approved, I might eliminate the small doorway into the dining room and open up the entire thing so that the dining area and kitchen area are one. It's the trendy thing right now and the changes I would like to make would be worthy of a price increase in rent.
    Since the landlord owns the house outright it would be a small boon for him not only come tax time (deductions for renovation) but allow a little more coming in for his investment.

12. Von Jones

Registered

Okay @Bobby Cole. I think you'll get it this time. You'll have a hard time working upside down from the view of the picture.:rolleyes:

13. Bobby Cole

Registered

Okay, I tried and still cannot understand. My wife looked at it and I looked at it again but nope, from our IPads the picture is right side up. The house across the way is right side up and the grass is on the ground soooooo.....

Maybe your iPad is locked and you have your tablet upside down. :)

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Von Jones

Registered

I'm on my PC. When I clicked on the image it shows everything upside down. I just clicked on image.jpeg (blue type) and it shows the picture correctly. I can't explain that. I was just trying to have a little fun with what was happening. I hope you are not upset with me @Bobby Cole.

15. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I had exactly the same experience on all my PCs and gadgets Von, I also had a similar experience with @Chrissy Page and her refrigerator photo which appeared on it's side, a joke which didn't work because on Chrissy's iPad it was upright. :rolleyes:

Maybe iPads have a gravity feed that rotates photo's to the correct way up ;) hopefully that joke works :D

16. Bobby Cole

Registered

Not at all my dear! I thought that it had something to do with the difference in translators from one OS to another but wasn't sure.
    But, you did start my more mischievous juices running for I thought about before re-installing the cabinets I might install a chair or two on the ceiling and place a ceiling fan on the floor just to get a reaction. That said, the man who owns the house has a weird sense of humor and I am not sure if it would go well.
    He's been a citizen of the U.S. for 35 years but still doesn't get some of the more frivolous humor that we enjoy from day to day. That said, owning a convenience store and 4 rental houses has a way of deadening ones funny bone immensely.

As much work as I have done on all of his houses in about 10 years I think if I owned them I would mow them down and sell the property to some tech industry that flourishes in our area.

Von Jones and Yvonne Smith like this.
  17. Bobby Cole

Registered

After more than a few bouts with renters in the past I have now come to the firm conclusion that anyone wishing to use a paint brush or roller should have to apply for a license to buy them.
    While not having the same gravity as buying a gun, the misuse of a paint brush could cause serious mental damage to the owner of a house causing him or her to WANT to shoot someone.
    I have posted a photo of just one of the floors but every one of them have the same type of abuse stemming from the reckless abandon of a patron of the wayward paint brush and roller.

Now, I have to have a serious talk to all of you. No, it's not about drugs, alcohol, paint brushes or even politics.
    I have to talk to you about.......how should I put this............uh, okay......closet gum chewing! There you have it, closet gum chewing!
    I do not know how many of you know people who are closet gum chewers but it is definitely among the top 10 of psychopathic tendencies. Today, I have found the evidence of one and it sickened me to know that someone was living so close to me and I didn't know it.
    While I was sanding a floor I opened up the closet and sure enough, there was a ton of pre-chewed gum all up and down the trim in the back of the door.
    I can understand bed post chewers, desk chewers and even swallow chewers but closet chewers need some serious help.
    If you know of one, they will probably thank you later if you call 1-800-336-8963 and report them so they can get help. That's 1-800-Den-Tyne.

Thank you for your support.

Attached Files:

18. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

th (32).jpg I found your culprit @Bobby Cole...shall we give her 25 lashes with a wet noodle? ;)

Diane Lane and Bobby Cole like this.
  19. Von Jones

Registered

That is weird chewing gum in the closet:confused:. I hope it will just *pop* right off.:D

Diane Lane, Bobby Cole and Babs Hunt like this.
  20. Bobby Cole

Registered

It is a weird thing indeed but the pop right off method is not an option. What is really called for is "chunk it" demolition.
    First, one must carefully use a razor knife and cut between the wall and the trim as well as the corner cuts so as to release the trim from any caulking or paint that might have been previously applied. Then, using a small trim bar, remove the trim, being ever vigilant not to bruise or mar the drywall. After removing the trim, it must be broken over the knee as many times as is possible and then one must *chunk it* into the pile of refuse that will eventually find it's way to the dump.

This method may seem somewhat tedious to some but the end result brings much satisfaction from all of the dopamine and adrenaline one acquires while violently breaking and sequential chunking of the trim.

21. Von Jones

Registered

@Bobby Cole I'd like to see that done on a video. That method would cover just about anything that has been applied to the trim. I hope that you have an easier time with it than you described.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  22. Bobby Cole

Registered

Renovation of a house is never an easy thing especially when one has to remodel behind the damage caused by animals. But, all the blame cannot be given to them for as I pointed out at the beginning of this post, the dogs did a lot of damage also.

A video of me breaking trim over my knee? hmmmmm........wouldn't that be called "slap stick?"

23. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The picture is upside down to me, as well, on my Windows computer. That's so odd. I know sometimes my tablet (Samsung) will tip things around in the other orientation, and it can be difficult to get them back. Perhaps without realizing it, y'all are taking the pictures upside down, and seeing them upright on the iPad, yet the camera knows and posts correctly so we see the original orientation? It's interesting. I can recall when I was a child, I loved to sit under the tables at home and also at my grandmother's and look up at the ceiling. I'd imagine the rooms upside down, and having to step up over the door jambs to go from room to room. For some reason, that amused me immensely.

Bobby Cole and Von Jones like this.
  24. Bobby Cole

Registered

Okee-Dokee. My project is almost finished. I didn't think to produce any pictures today but I did take one yesterday when I was finishing some of the floors.
    One of them is a bedroom that I took some "before" pictures of and I really doubted at that time if I could get it done the way I really want things to turn out. It didn't.
    But, the good news is that it did come out looking okay (but not great) image.jpeg image.jpeg so I decided to let you guys take a look.
    Pardon the walls because they still need some help and do pardon the trim also because I got a little sloppy when I was staining the floors. Touch up, touch up, touch up. It never seems to stop.

Von Jones likes this.
  25. Von Jones

Registered

@Bobby Cole I say you did a wonderful job. What tool did you use to apply the stain and coating?