Don't Always Trust What The Internet Says

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 8, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been told this by numerous people. A lady, young enough to be my daughter, who works at the Marine Service we take our boat to, has told me this before. Wife and I have known her since 2009.

Well, just found another "Internet" mistake on Facebook. Of Facebook there is an ad for a small R2 - D2 (Star Wars) frig. It's small and would fit into a bedroom or office. Thing is, it's "no longer available" by the people who are selling it. I clicked on the website for it and it says just that. One other person commented about the same thing.

Heck, I'm finding that items online, like with Home Depot or Lowe's, sometimes don't state "In store only" or "Online only", like it use to be. A person drives to the store and it's not there. The person is told "that's only available online". Well, "thank you very much" I say to myself sarcastically.

Then there are those websites, like Amazon, that don't show the correct picture of the item being sold. You see something you like, buy it online and when it gets to you, it's not what the picture online shows. I've had that happen a few times and it costs the consumer to ship it back. This is why we try very hard to find things we want to buy from local stores or online that are from local stores. If we don't like what we got, we just take it to the store that was selling it online.

The Internet is good, but really, really have to watch different things.

What do you think?

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My wife sells stuff online and she has found that, often when she displays something that she has for sale as a third-party seller, Amazon will often lump her item in with some other similar item, such as the same book but a different edition. One time, she was selling, I think it was the second or third edition of a book. She stated that in her ad, but Amazon lumped her book in with another listing for the same book, but in the first edition. When she had a sale, of course the buyer wasn't happy with the purchase because it was listed (erroneously by Amazon) as a first edition. The buyer complained, and Amazon refunded their money, taking it from my wife's account, and she was out both the book and the money. The errors on Amazon's part are probably part of some automated process that combines ads for the same thing into one ad rather than having multiple ads for the same item but, being automated, it gets things wrong a lot.