Dogs Comforting Mourners

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Diane Lane, Jun 15, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

That is a very touching story. I know dogs have been used in hospitals and for therapy in senior citizens homes. So a funeral home makes since to have a comforting dog to help people with their grief. I read that some hotels are show casing some dogs to help them get adopted by people visiting the hotel.

3. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

What a wonderful idea. I know for a fact that does are very in tune to the emotions of an individual. They know when someone is in pain or sad, and the dog wants to comfort the individual. I have seen this in my own dogs over the years. I think this funeral home had a great idea of incorporating dogs into their service for mourners, dogs can be so comforting at a time like this.

4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a seen on tv a segment of a docu about doctor dogs who visit hospitals to cheer up the patients, particularly those children with cancer. Petting a dog, according to doctors in that hospital, can alleviate mental pain of the patient and may even lead to quick recovery. With a mourning person, companionship is one of the remedies to ease the pain of loss and definitely an affectionate dog is fit for that role. I really believe that dog is man's best friend. That's why I am so happy to realize that I now have dogs for my pets because when I was young, it never entered my mind.