Dog "accidents" In The Home

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Hal Pollner, Feb 18, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Realize this, folks: A dog does not "Accidentally" pee at a random place on your carpet!

A dog has every movement planned as to what it will do and where it will do it!

There are no "Accidents"!

Hal

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, you so smart. Tell me this:

Miki was potty trained to pee and poop on her poop pads. She did 99% of the time. Once in a while she would pee just in front of the bathroom door or just inside the bathroom.

I keep a small rug in front of the kitchen door for people to wipe their feet on. Just before Christmas, I bought a new one and put it down. Now that's where she pees and poops! Why???????????????????

3. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Shirley, there's a valid reason for that!

If her pee/poop pads were adjacent to the bathroom, then she is relating the small rug to her pee/poop pad as you would expect, relating the kitchen door to the bathroom door!

From now on, as ingrained through her training, ANY small rug or pad placed close to ANY door will become her potty place!

No mystery at all!

Hal

4. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Our little Schnoodle would do the same thing every time we'd go away for the weekend and leave her in the care of our neighbor: when we walked in the door: she'd immediately pee in the kitchen and then race down into the basement and poop in my husband's workshop. I guess we both needed to be "punished" in unique ways. Other than that, she would never "go" in the house...…..she'd hold it forever rather than defile the premises.

5. Hal Pollner

Registered

@Mary, as soon as I find a reason for that behavior, I'll post it, but you're right...it could have to do with "punishment" for deserting your Schnoodle.

Hal

6. Shirley Martin

Registered

One of Miki's poop pads is near the kitchen door but not in front of it. She chose that spot when she was a puppy. I think it was because that was as close to outside as she could get. She never goes outside because of the danger of hawks grabbing her and carrying her off. The only way she could safely go outside is if she was on a leash and I was right beside her, holding the leash.

Another pad is just outside my bedroom door. She chose that spot, too. She is not allowed in the bedrooms because they have carpet.

7. Chris Ladewig

Chris Ladewig Veteran Member
    Registered

I just got a new puppy a bout three weeks ago. He has never pooped in the house but I walk him several times a day and punish him for wetting in the house. I thought I had it done because he went two days with a dry floor. To day he wet in the house twice guess I have more work to do.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This thread supports my conviction that cats are fastidiously cleaner by nature than dogs.

Cat deprived of it's litter box, in it's expected place, will hold back until it no longer can.

Cat finished doing #2 buries it, checks to ensure it IS buried, then gallops away as if to escape any dislikable remnants of the experience!
    Frank

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Registered

Frank is absolutely correct!

(We own 2 Felines, 2 Canines, 2 Avians and 5 Reptilians)

Hal

10. Hal Pollner

Registered

You have more work to do.

Hal

11. Shirley Martin

Registered

Cats are just sneakier than dogs. :rolleyes:

Bobby Cole likes this.