Does Your Pet Know When It Is Bedtime And Act Accordingly?

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by K E Gordon, Oct 18, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

One thing I love about my cat is he is very habituated to my schedule and acts accordingly.. He knows exactly when it is time to go to bed, and he sleeps all night long. He is not like the cats you hear about that run around at 3am knocking things over. I had a couple once that used to fight at night. He goes right to sleep One thing I have to admit, I really love about my cat is that he is very habituated to my schedule including bed, and stays there until morning! I had a dog who knew it was bedtime too, but wanted to get up and 3am and bark in the yard...Thank God, I live in a rural area!!!:)

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes! Pickles is routine oriented and watches my every move and reacts accordingly. When he sees I shut my iPad off, he runs to my room.

He does this with other things too. If I have my keys out or put lipstick on, he runs to his place that I put him when I go out.

He knows me better than anybody.

3. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

My last cat Wilbur was the exact same. He was blind since birth and probably needed routine. He even used to come get me if I was ten minutes late. It was in the days before I retired so probably should have been in bed anyway.

K E Gordon likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

When I still had my little dog, she didn't go to bed first, but whenever I went and got in, there she was:) I miss her a lot and probably would be better off if I went ahead and got another baby to love. Had her 15 years, she died in 2006.

Attached Files:

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I do want a dog, but I have to figure out what I am doing with my life. Cats are a lot easier to take care of. I honestly think I like the idea of a dog alot more than a dog. The cat that I have is really a wonderful pet, but dogs are so much more interactive. We will see..what comes down the pike. Having a puppy to cuddle with would be so cool. However, there is a big commitment involved. Alot to think about, and to consider. I can't afford it right now anyway.

Chrissy Cross and Denise Evans like this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I understand 100% @K E Gordon I am in the same boat:) The responsibility, worry about vet bills. The list goes on. But I know that I worry more now than when I got my toney. I was much younger, and very bold, willing to take a lot of risks, didn't think twice. It turned out the best relationship of my life, just not sure that I can do it now. It's a big decision now, heck, seems everything is a bigger decision now;)

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've already spoken about this but since that is the question posed here, I'll repeat myself. I normally go to bed around midnight. One of my older cats, Cutie, has taken to reminding me when it's time for bed. Within five minutes of midnight, she will start nudging me with her nose, then do that stare that demands that I follow her. Only instead of going to the door to be let out, or to the food bowl to beg for food, she goes upstairs to bed. She just assumes that I am going to follow once I acknowledge her. So after she nudges me, I finish whatever I'm working on, close the computer down, make sure that the doors are locked, and she is waiting on the bed for me. The odd thing is that she usually leaves within a half hour. She doesn't necessarily want to go to bed. She wants me to, probably so that she can have my office to herself. She's up and down all night. She will lie next to me for a while, then go back down to my office to lie in her cat bed. I set up one of my wildlife cameras on the stairs once and she makes about thirty trips up and down the stairs during the night.

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

That's funny....and cute @Ken Anderson.

Pickles stays on the bed all night, he does move a little and he makes noisy slurpy sounds that he never does during the day when he's sleeping ....so annoying.

The bed is too high for him to jump down....he can though and has but I discourage it because of his long back...so when I hear him crying at 3 am sometimes I have to get up and lift him off the bed and let him out.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

LOL, this was a great story @Ken Anderson I wonder if she wants to get you off the computer so she can use it, LOL!!

cats-love-computers-4.jpg

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I bet it was Cutie who banned me....accidentally of course. :)

12. Denise Evans

Registered

Ahhhhhh, my lil dog used to snore, LOL:) She never woke me at night, not once in 15 years. We did spend a lot of time outdoors though, also, I do remember her getting up for a drink of water, or if she hadn't eaten much, she like to crunch crunch and eat her food before niters;) Wow, I talk about her and start missing her. I still don't feel a house/apt is a home without an animal around. Guess I better get to lookin.

I love @Ina I. Wonder lil Izzy! I'd love to find one like her:)

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I have to add that although he drives me crazy sometimes, Pickles is such a good boy. Ever since the rat problem and I've allowed him to sleep with me, not once has he come up by my head area....always stays at the foot of the bed.

Who knows though, with winter coming I may like his warm little body next to mine...we'll see. :)

Denise Evans likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

:) Okay, THAT was funny. ROFL!

15. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Izzy and I are very much like @Chrissy Page and her Pickles. Now he has slept with me since he was maybe four weeks old, which is now going on 4&1/2 years. I'm truly his mommy, since his doggy mommy died when he was just days old. We are in bed by 7pm generally, and wether or not I can go to sleep Izzy is snoring by 10pm. He sleeps on top of the covers, but he feels the need to lean against me throughout the night. :rolleyes:

@Denise Happyfeet that is a wonderful picture of you and your Toney. That sould be your avatar!!! Your baby was beautiful, and you look so pretty and happy. You definitely need to find a new baby at the animal shelter. :p

@Ken Anderson has your Cutie always run up and down the stairs, or is this a behavior she acquired in later years. If she is an old kittie, it might be arthritis. My kitties did that as well as they got older. Almost as if it helped to ease their pain. I lost my 15 year old golden retriever, Amber Rain, last February, and she moved around a lot at night for this reason. My vet gave meds to ease her pain, but I don't know if kitties can take anything like that. :confused:

I don't know what I would do without my little guy, Izzy. There have been days that I drag myself around just because he would be neglected if I didn't. :oops:

Chrissy Cross likes this.