Does Post Office Correct Delivery Mistakes?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 5, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry about the length of this, but it's about two wrong deliveries.

About a month ago, the VA sent me a prescription that I had ordered. I order online and get "USPS Tracking" for this. All of my VA prescriptions, which is only a few, always get delivered to our locked mail box in the apartment complex mail area. The bottles come in a pure white bag. So, was checking the "tracking" on this prescription and it read "Delivered to front door or porch". Nobody had stopped (I was home) and no package there. From going to two Post Office's and checking with our regular mail man, found that a relief driver had delivered the package to another apartment in our complex. Our mail man tried knocking on their door, but no answer. I requested, and the VA sent, the prescription again, which I got in the mail box. Nothing was ever done to recover the "delivered wrong" med.

Late last month, I order a vitamin supplement from Walgreens to be delivered to our apartment mail box. On this past Monday, the 2nd, I checked my Walgreen's Account online, and the USPS Tracking number stated the item had been "Delivered to front door or porch" at 11:30AM. At that time, I was using our computer by the front door! Nobody came and no package was out there.
    On Tuesday, printed out the "Tracking" info on both my Walgreens online Account and on the USPS site and took to the mail distribution center (where our mail comes from). The lady at the desk looked up the "Navigaion" of the package and found that it to was delivered to the wrong apartment. She wouldn't tell me who delivered it, just told me that she would talk to the person who done the "Delivered to........." statement. Gave her my phone number, but as of right now, have not heard a thing.
    Called Walgreen's and they will do a "reshipment" of the item with no charge. This time I'm having the item go to the Walgreens store right down the street.

Ever had this kind of problem? How did you handle it?

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh "Ever had this kind of problem? How did you handle it?"

We have had more USPS problems here in our present location over the past 5 years now, than I had in my entire lifetime previous.

One big problem is the stupidity used in naming the streets. For example, Mountain View Road is a main thoroughfare, and over a stretch of several miles the cross streets ALL have Mountain View in their names: M.V. Drive, Ln, Cove, Court, Run, etc. Now our problem is due to similar naming. Our street is Xxx Xxx Circle, while two blocks east there is an Xxx Xxx Court. The address numbers are identical: 4474. This came to light when we found a package, obviously containing prescription medicine, on our doorstep. Addressed to 4474 Xxx Xxx Ct, delivered to Circle. We went to Ct, found a retired couple from Ohio living there, handed the lady her meds. They thanked us gratefully. Next incident, the man showed up at our front door bearing our mail, very important at that, a settlement check of ~ $ 9000 from State Farm. This sort of mis-delivering has happened many times, despite complaining to the USPS. Helped when I started printing our CIRCLE in caps.
    Frank

3. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I haven't had a ton of trouble even with ordering online. Do you have an apartment manager office? My apartment complex isn't huge but it does have two different street address' and I once got a package at my door for the other address. Can't remember if the apartment number was even right. I took it to the managers office. Do some people get the wrong delivery and keep it. I'm sure of it.

I also once got a key in my PO Box at the post office for the larger package lockers. When I opened the door the box was not addressed to me. I took it to the counter. I also got a letter mailed to me. Correct PO Box #, totally wrong town. I dropped it back in the mail slot.

I'm not sure how you are going to handle an incompetent mail carrier but I'm glad your needed meds are being resent.

And of coarse, whoever got the package will deny they did. Otherwise they would have made an effort to get it to the right person.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We've gotten mail from someone who had moved out of the apartment we have and mail for someone from another apartment. On the mail of the person who use to live here, we put "MOVED" in all caps or "Not at this address". The mail we get that was someone else's, we put it in the Outgoing box where all the mailboxes are for our building and another.

If something looks important, we will take it to the management office and give it to them.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We never keep any mail that isn't ours.

Yes, have already got the meds and the Walgreen's package is being delivered to local Walgreen's store down the street. We ordered, online, because it wasn't available in stores, a portable/battery operated buffer for wax and had it delivered to the store that we bought it from online. They sent us an e-mail that it had arrived at the store and I went down the street and picked it up. That was the first time that we'd ever had anything that was bought online, delivered to the local store. However, some things bought online, aren't through a local store, so the item has to be shipped to an address (ours).

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

This has happened to us, and not only with mail , but most recently , with a UPS order that Bobby was waiting for.
    He saw the UPS drive go past our house and pull into the apartments across the street, and we thought that he just missed our house, and then we got the little electronic notice that said it was not delivered because it didn’t have an apartment number on the box or the address was wrong.
    I emailed Amazon right away and explained to them what happened, and Bobby emailed the closest UPS office.
    By the next day, Amazon had straightened it all out, and the driver came to our house with the package. Apparently, this had been a relief driver also; although why he could not read an address properly makes no sense at all.
    Amazon also credited us with a $10 gift card because of the late delivery, even though it had nothing to do with a mistake on either their part or ours, and was all the fault of the poor delivery driver.
    When we lived in a different town a few years ago, we got mail occasionally for some people who didn’t live close to us, but had a similar address, and sometimes, our packages from USPS were delivered to them as well.
    I always called up the post office and complained, and they would locate the package and deliver it to us.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I haven't had much trouble with the Postal Service, and haven't had any trouble with any deliveries since moving here but, when I lived in Texas, UPS would sometimes drop packages off at neighbors' houses. When I checked on it, I would see that they had left it with a neighbor. But what neighbor? Most of my neighbors didn't know who I was, and I didn't know who they were, and I wasn't about to go door to door, accusing people who didn't even speak English of stealing my packages, which is what they did, of course, since I never received anything that was left with a neighbor.