Does Packaging Influence Your Buying Choices?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, May 10, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although you may believe it does not, packaging probably affects the choices that each of us makes; some more so than others, of course.

I know that I am attracted to good packaging. I don't necessarily buy it, but I will look at it. Of course, different people are attracted to different types of packaging - and by packaging, I am including logos and labels. I am particularly attracted to packaging that looks like it is from the 1800s, or thereabouts. There are other types of packaging that I also like, but I like the vintage look. Of course, the last couple of generations might be turned off by that.

For example, if I knew what WB Mason sold and needed it, I would be inclined to buy something from them. I see their trucks often, and they always catch my eye, and in a good way.

wbmason.jpg

Hannaford, the supermarket chain where I usually shop, has started packaging their store brand products in labels that have a vintage or niche-market look, and I'll bet they are selling a lot more of their stuff than they did when they used a plain-label.

I bought some of their sodas the other day. They come in glass bottles and the labels give the appearance of something from one of the mini-bottling companies that usually get a premium price for their stuff. For one thing, I prefer glass bottles, but the label also caught my attention. I liked it, although it is probably the same stuff they used to sell in white cans, and which I had never even tried.

Neville Telen and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I only look at two things...nutrition guide and ingredients.

Of course price also if it's outrageous.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes in answer to your question Ken, I am easily attracted to the packaging. I particularly love anything vintage, however that's not to say I will pay an extortionate price for it just because I like how it comes packaged

4. Ken Anderson

I'll go so far as to say that packaging not only affects my buying choices but it influences my experience with the product. My wife is far more price conscious than I am, so she will often buy plain-label foods. If I know that something came from a plain white box, I am less likely to think that it tastes good. I think this corresponds to food that I think might have gone bad. I might later determine that it hasn't really gone bad but, by then, I already have it in my head that it's gone bad, and I don't want to eat it.

Von Jones and Holly Saunders like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm similar to you when it comes to food..I have that same kind of mindset ken. Which is one of the reasons why I won't buy ''value'' food from a supermarket!!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

No, packaging would not entice me, in fact it annoys me when sellers go on about packaging
    Its the ingredients that are important to me

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I try to avoid plastic packaging when I can, and enjoy the vintage packaging but don't base my choices on it.

Chrissy Cross and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We all are affected by packaging in some way. If colors are not vibrant and jump to the eye then your brain will move to next step...calories...salt...fat content....which ever intrestes you.Then price.
    Not necessarily in that order.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I feel that the artwork of the packaging reveals much about the nutritional value of the product.

(no I don't)

Howl

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Fancy packaging makes me think I'm paying as much for that packaging as I am for what in it.

11. Ken Anderson

No one is suggesting that buying choices are made entirely on packaging, but if the packaging gets your attention, then it has affected your buying choice, either negatively or positively. For me, the traditional generic packaging has a negative effect. I'm not going to buy it, and if I know that it came in a plain white label, I am probably not going to like it.

On the other hand, I have bought stuff with very attractive labels that I didn't like, but it still affected my buying choice because I bought it once. Even if I don't buy it if it causes me to pick it up, it has come closer to affecting my buying choice than all of the other stuff that I didn't even see, and I might buy it next time, maybe when my wife isn't around.

12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Interesting subject @Ken Anderson. I was just thinking this past Sunday that I'm very attracted to packaging with red, white and blue. To me I think that it's American made. Of course that is not always the case 'cause only some parts are American made.

I also like the vintage packaging. It reminds me of my childhood days growing up around my grandparents. If I see a product that was in my grandma's cupboard I'll get it regardless of the price.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

PRESENTATION, is the primary motto of the food and beverage industry and WE EAT WITH OUR EYES is the second.
    When it comes to those things we might desire, the one which is the most eye pleasing will generally win the sale.
    The looks and colors displayed on a package of food can and often do start the salivation process which is one good reason to snack prior to shopping lest we find eye candy the winner before the brain is consulted.

Ken Anderson and Von Jones like this.
  14. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

Not packaging per say, but when I was looking to buy my portable air conditioner, lack of good packaging was a big factor. Amazon, Walmart, and Best Buy all had user reviews that whined about how the air conditioner came in crappy packaging, was scratched or outright damaged, and the hassle of returning a 70+ Lb item. That was enough to throw me over to NewEgg. Been dealing with them a long time, and their packages are near impenetrable. So far, Target has been the worst on packaging. Ordered a box of Blue Plate mayo that came in a box so beat up, it actually fell apart before I could walk it the few blocks home. As far as labels and logos go, I like the vintage look too.

Ken Anderson likes this.