Does Anyone Use Fax Machines Anymore?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Mary Miller, Dec 2, 2020.

1. Mary Miller

Mary Miller Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hubby bought one of the first good FAX machines decades ago and it sat for a while till we unplugged it. It is in the basement now. If I start purging a bit more, I would like to send it down the road but I don't know if it is a sell, give or toss.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a printer that will send a fax. It has never been used as such. :D It's too easy to snap a picture of a document or scan it and email instead.

I'd say donate to Goodwill or somewhere.

3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

When looking into the reasons why our local health authorities were hopelessly behind tracking infections it turned out that it's because a goodly number of them are still using fax machines, blackboard and chalk, and pen and pencil. So donations are welcome I'd reckon.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

funny you guys are saying that about a fax..
    I have one of those printers that has a fax and somehow I seem to use it every now and again..
    I use it about 4 or 5 times a year faxing documents of many pages here and there..
    Our pharmacy faxes my doctor for renewal of prescriptions and the doctor also faxes the pharmacy for a new prescription directly from his office..
    Personally, I still use my fax machine...

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Dealing with medical providers, hospital, doctors, and the like, a new experience for us, has revealed that the old FAX methods are not dead. But, our old machine, was,......so........

Frank

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Lots of businesses use them as they chase down traveling executives to sign urgent agreements.

My last employer did that until I implemented a digital signature application.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I recall the first fax machine I used, back in the mid 70s.

The fax paper was on a continuous roll and it was waxy...you couldn't write on it. It also came off of the machine wet, so there were always faxes hanging up to dry, like so many nylons in a college dorm.

It was a RoyFax, as I recall.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've sent a FAX about once every 2 years, on average. It was easier to just stop by the UPS store here, than set up my printer/FAX.

The IRS still requires some things to be sent to them by FAX. No emails. No snail mails. I needed to send them 3 pages recently to clarify something.

Sunday I downloaded an app called EASY FAX on the smartphone. They give you 3 free pages. Each additional page requires you to play 5 short videos (ads). :) Many other apps require a credit card number, even to do a couple free pages. You can take a picture and resize, or use an existing image file. However, I could have driven to the UPS store and back a dozen times in the amount of time it took to find this and set it up.

It said it worked. Doesn't really matter. The IRS said if they didn't hear back, they would press forward anyway.

(It took a long time to find an existing thread where this post fit. The keyword FAX is too short to allow a search. Had to get creative.)

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
    John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.