Does Anyone Listen To Audio Books?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Kitty Carmel, Sep 23, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I guess this is the right place to ask this.

I'm considering ordering a book CD. It's read by the author. I'd have a hard time listening to one that wasn't since people would put their own inflections in the reading.

But anyway, I don't know how they work. Can you stop at each chapter. Are the chapters separated like songs? I tried to research this online and couldn't find an answer.

Thanks in advance.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a few. I have used them driving across country; they work well for that. I have also let them play all night, while in bed, and after playing them through a couple of times, I'll to pretty good idea what the book is about, but not as well as actually reading the book.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

To answer your question though, I don't know if they are arranged just like music CDs; although maybe, since there are chapters. Normally, I played them straight through. Otherwise, I think they remembered my place but I am not sure. It's been awhile.

4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

If you have a pause button on the CD player it would seem you could stop anywhere you want to @Kitty Carmel and then just undo the pause when you are ready to continue. I do this with my Bible audio CD's. :)

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

I have audio on my kindle but don't like the robotic voice so never use it.

6. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was wondering about listening vs reading and how much you remember or pay attention to a audio book since your mind can still wander when listening. When you read, you concentrate on reading more. I think they would be great for long distance driving which I don't do.

Thanks for your replies, it's helping with my decision.

Babs Hunt likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I posted this somewhere before but my sister and I listened to an audio book on our drive to Florida one time. She was driving so I don't know if she was really able to concentrate on the book being read or not. I was able to though and I did enjoy it. The audio book would have to be on a subject I'm interested in to even get my attention and if I was driving I don't know if it would be such a great idea for me to get to interested in it and not pay attention to the road, etc. :)

You can always give it a try and see how it works. If you do...let us know how it works out for you. :)