Does Anyone Else Have a Blog Online?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 24, 2015.

1. Val White

Val White Active Member
    Registered

Ever thought that the only thing you do better than procrastinating is procrastinating procrastination (there is a blog in there somewhere..isn't there)

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a small blog that has no direction and little purpose. I sometime discuss politics and sometime times let my depressions show through. I have very few readers, if any. It where I can express myself more publicly.

http://www.thelastsooner.blogspot.com

I call it My Journal.

Last edited: May 19, 2015
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My blog got started because my oldest son asked me to write down some of the things that I remembered about his grandparents, and about life when I was growing up. He wanted it to be written down for his kids and grandkids to be able to read about the family history.
    I thought and thought about how on earth I wanted to accomplish that. Write down stuff and email it to him (or to everyone in the family ? ) That did not seem like a brilliant way to do it.
    At the same time, I was also posting some of the stories on other forums that I belonged to, and realized that these would be perfect for the family history.
    I came up with the idea of writing a blog, then it would be there for whomever wanted to read it; and if others besides my family liked it, too, then it would be there online for anyone to read. When the inspiration for a story hits me; I write it.

@Ina I. Wonder , I also feel a deep respect for others privacy. However, things that are put on Facebook, or on a blog, are put there specifically to be shared with other people.
    Imagine if you have beautiful flowers and shrubs that you put in the front yard. You are happy for anyone who drives by to see them and admire it.
    If you have a little private garden hidden away in your back yard, then that is your special private place and only shared by you and your friends and family.
    Social media and online blogs are like the flowers planted in the front yard. They are out front for the world to see. It is perfectly fine for you to read these things and you are not invading any "private place".

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Registered

On my last blog that I closed out about a year ago, during the time I was writing the blog, because I had participated in a combined study by the cVeterans Administration and the University of Oklahoma's medical School I was invited to visit the Medical and talk to both fourth year medical students and to the Geriatrics doctors. The professor who got me involved with the study and the Med School wanted to use my blog as a teaching and he did for the balance of that year. He also gave it to his grad students. I thought too many people had so I cancelled my blog.
    On that blog I wrote about my illness and how I coped and what I did to overcome depression, etc, etc. Anyway the blog I have not is to express myself on whatever interest me, or sometime current events, generally whatever i feel I can write intelligently about. Sometimes it's fun.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I tried to look at the link for Bill Boggs blog. (Try saying that three times real fast) But it says that the server can't be accessed

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a travel blog that I add to about once a month. This is partially because I want to keep active as a writer, but hopefully it gives other people a bit of amusement and inspiration. It's about Eastern Europe.

http://duckholiday.com/

7. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Tom Locke, Oh I wish I could go to Europe, but I admit I'd be afraid to go by myself. I'm 63, and never been on my own before. I wouldn't be sure I was safe, and I do tend to be gullible. I also admit to having a very sketchy education, as I went from the fifth grade at 10, to college at the age of 35. So of course there is a very big gap in my storage of knowledge, and I wouldn't know what to see one way or the other.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ina, try this link. For some reason the link does not work with the slash afer the "www" in it, but when you put in the dot after the www, then it does work; at least it worked for me.
    Try this and see if it works for you, too. Bill might just need to adjust his link and take out the slash after the www part and put in the dot instead.

http://www.thelastsooner.blogspot.com

9. Val White

Val White Active Member
    Registered

Although on my own I have always enjoyed travelling. Could you not try a tour where it is structured and you would be with other like minded people.

Please be assured that countries like Austria, Germany, Holland, Italy are safe

10. Tom Locke

Registered

I think it's fair to say that anywhere in the world is safe enough if you're in an organised travel group. Obviously, nobody can legislate for everything that happens, but I've travelled to over 40 countries and have rarely felt any sense of threat. In fact, I've probably felt more nervous walking around London at night than I have in some of the so-called dangerous places in the world.

11. Val White

Val White Active Member
    Registered

Well said Tom and I totally agree with you about London. :)

12. Tom Locke

Registered

A small and true story: I was working in Ethiopia a few years ago and was sitting in a hotel bar with my friend, having a drink and watching BBC World News. We saw riots in Paris, disorder on the streets of Budapest and demonstrations in London. My friend (an Irish woman) turned to me and said, "You know, any Ethiopian watching this must think Europe's one hell of a dangerous place."

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've also had a few blogs over the years, where the site shut down, or was bought out (one by Twitter), and discontinued, so those blogs went away. I have one for my shop now, but haven't been as active as I should be. I post when I can, but since I've never had a sale that derived from there, as far as I know, there isn't much motivation. The stalking situation has turned me off from sharing much of a personal nature online, so I pretty much promote my shops and keep a few private accounts with just people I actually know, where I share more personal information and events.

14. Bill Boggs

Registered

Diane
    I've known a number of people who advertised merchandise through a blog but I think she shut hers down and joined a group situation.
    I've also known several people who write under a fiticous name. One writes four days a week for years under Grumpy Old Dog. I guess I don't understand the stalking comment.

Ina:
    By the way, thanks, Ina for trying to read my blog.

15. Ina I. Wonder

Registered

@Bill Boggs, hey I got there. Your blog I mean. I really enjoyed the part I read. Of course I'll be going back for more.
    I also left a comment. (After I figured out to do that.)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  16. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thank you. I'll have to go read what you said.