Documentary: Raoul Walsh Biography

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Joe Riley, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This movie was made the year I was born.

Northern Pursuit (1943)
    Passed | 93 min | Adventure, Drama, Romance

[​IMG]

"A Canadian Mountie of German descent feigns disaffection with his homeland in hopes of infiltrating and thwarting a Nazi sabotage plot."

Director: Raoul Walsh | Stars: Errol Flynn, Julie Bishop, Helmut Dantine, John Ridgely

"This is exactly the kind of movie people mean when they say, "they don't make 'em like they used to." Nazi Spies and Canadian Mounties face off in the middle of no where, this one kind of reminded me of The River Wild anyway it is just a real fun movie."

Play Movie Trailer

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It all started because I was curious why so many pictures of horses in Raoul Walsh's last house. A circuitous route led me to Louisville and the 1937 Kentucky Derby. Mr. Walsh owned a horse named Sunset Trail, which he entered in that race. Brother George was the trainer. He (the horse) was bound to lose with a name like that. Came in 16th out of 20. That was the year War Admiral won the triple crown.

This is supposed to be Sunset Trail and jockey Robert Dotter (age 17)

Caption: 1937 Jockey On Race Horse Sunset Trail II, Owned By Raoul Walsh.. EBay LINK

upload_2022-1-15_13-9-38.png

Joe Riley likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"No need for words, but I want to give you some nonetheless: our new series on the underrated art of the reverse shot begins here, where perpetually-unbilled bit player Chester Clute rubs turpentine on Marlene Dietrich's skirt as she asks George Raft, "What's the view from your angle?" Cut to Raft, slyly sipping root beer, who responds: "I've seen better."

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    From Raoul Walsh's Manpower (1941); cinematography by Ernie Haller; editing by Ralph Dawson.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Errol Flynn with Director Raoul Walsh on Movie Set of 'Objective, Burma!'
    [​IMG]

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

1923 Silent film - Raoul Walsh -filmed in Tahiti

[​IMG]

"Faulke, a swindling white trader who persuaded Madge to leave Captain Blackbird, insists that her daughter, Lorna, marry Waki, a native leader, although Lorna loves Lloyd Warren. While in search of a doll for his other daughter, Baby Madge, Captain Blackbird comes to Pago Pago and gruffly refuses to aid Lloyd and Lorna, whom he does not recognize. A chance encounter with Faulke, however, reveals the trader's evil doings and Lorna's identity. The captain and his men rush to the island and rescue Lorna from the warring natives."Pamela Short

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Trailer

8. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Denise Evans

Registered

I can't help but think Cagney was weird in real life after that movie where he flipped out when his mother died, "White Heat" :eek: He just did it wayyyy to good :oops:

10. Denise Evans

Registered

Wow, what an amazing few moments that must have been @Joe Riley, 91, and never forgot his character !!

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Walsh's reason to not get a glass eye, was that he would have to take it out everytime he got into a fight!

Denise Evans likes this.
  12. Denise Evans

Registered

makes sense to me, but just maybe, they guy wanting to fight him might have changed his mind :D:p

Your history posts are so interesting if I can just get my mind off "other" topics that just give me anxiety ;). Yours make me smile @Joe Riley

Joe Riley likes this.
  13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Raoul Walsh’s “Regeneration”

"Raoul Walsh, meanwhile, is committed to grit and he doesn’t compromise. Regeneration feels authentic and there are no obvious sets to distract from this authenticity. Casual violence, alcoholism and drug abuse are all presented as a reality of the slums. Walsh went on location and made the most of the local color, though I must say his fixation with inserting shots of people with bad teeth and disfiguring ailments starts to feel voyeuristic after a while. (…) However, Walsh does show considerable flair at this point in his career. Moody lighting was all the rage in the 1910s and he employs it liberally, along with bold imagery and the generous use of close-ups. The quality of motion picture direction was all over the place during this period, with some directors looking extremely modern and others still stuck in the ‘people pay to see the whole actor so show them head to toe’ mindset. Walsh is on the cutting edge for 1915 and the result is an extremely watchable picture for modern audiences.”
    Fritzi Kramer

"Regeneration" USA, 1915, Raoul Walsh

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

[​IMG]
    Me and My Gal

Last edited: Feb 15, 2022
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered