Do Your Kids Still Live At Home?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lois Winters, Jan 10, 2020.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

More and more, I am hearing from friends and acquaintances that their children simply cannot seem to become motivated to move out on their own. This surprises me since the economy is on such an uptick, it should prove a good incentive for these kids to find other digs.

Faye Fox likes this.
  2. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

We have the same problem over here for many years now, renting and mortgages far too expensive
    There may be a change a coming for the better - hope so

4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

No kids here, but that reminds me ... My uncle lived with my grandparents until he retired (at 55 from a good factory job). Then moved to Florida. I'm certain he paid them some room and board though...I hope. ;)

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  5. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

When your 50-year-old still at home
    Gets the blue screen of death!!!

New Image.jpg

Lois Winters and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

No, none of our five children live with us; they are all in their 30's and established with homes and families. A couple of them did have "false starts" early on and had to return home to regroup for a short time, but that was fine with us. I have always wanted my children to be independent and responsible, but at the same time know that they ALWAYS have a place as long as I'm alive. They are welcome to come home to live if they ever need to.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Nope!

Actually, after I moved out of my guardians/step-parents home after high school graduation, I never returned to live again. I visited a few times, but didn't move back in.

8. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Our oldest daughter lives with us. She is self supporting and pays us a token amount of rent. She buys her own food,has her own car which she supports. The only thing she costs us is the space in her room,(which would sit unoccupied), the amount of electricity she consumes. She also has a satellite receiver in her room that we pay for,which is offset by us using her netflix and prime accounts.
    The rent she pays is deposited and will be added to her house fund when the time comes.

Yvonne Smith and Nancy Hart like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

In many countries, it is normal for extended families to all live together, and it works out for the benefit of everyone in the family. Each family member contributes what they are able , and the older people babysit the children and do housework so that they younger people can work to earn money, or in the garden , growing crops.
    It sounds like the working relationship with your daughter works out to the benefit of everyone, as well, @Peter Renfro , and that is how it should be.

In many cases, here in America, the adult children still expect their parents to totally support, feed, and house them, while they spend any money they have on toys and other unnecessary items.
    Bobby worked with one such person for a while, when he was the chef at the country club here. This guy had never moved out of his parents home, he had a menial dishwashing job at the country club, which gave him enough money for things he wanted to buy, and he didn’t want to have to be responsible for his own life and welfare.

Lois Winters and Nancy Hart like this.