Do You Think...

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Diane Lane, Apr 23, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

More people fear death these days because they have less faith in an afterlife? Obviously most do not want to die, but it seems I'm seeing more these days who are rabidly pursuing every possible treatment, even those that decimate their bodies, rather than accepting that it's their time to go home and move on to the next phase of their existence. I have noticed more people expressing that death is the end and there's nothing afterwards, which makes me think there's a connection between the two. Most people I know are people of one faith or another, but I do encounter some Atheists on Twitter, and they seem to be the ones who fear death the most, with the others having a belief in something better once we've passed this realm.

Do you think people are more fearful of death these days, and if so, do you think that is out of a lack of faith in an afterlife?

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I think everyone fears death because we enjoy living and don't want it to stop. It's not so much a fear of death as a desire to live. I don't see a connection to any religion, just a natural emotion for all.

3. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

There are many reasons why people might fear death. Some do fear death because they think that's the end of everything. Others may fear that their death may bring much pain and suffering. Others fear what may await them if there is an afterlife. There are many people who have created their "heaven" on earth and fear leaving it. And then there are some who possibly fear death by violence, torture, disaster, etc. ...in other words they have a fear of the way they may die. Some have a fear of death by drowning, by an airplane blowing up, etc. There are also many people who have fear because they are not prepared for death either physically, emotionally, or spiritually.

We all know that we are going to die one day. And for many of us here on this Forum that day is a lot closer than it used to be. There are so many who are even afraid to talk about dying and death. They will not even talk about this subject with their loved ones...even when they are on their death beds. So their loved ones do not know what their wishes are concerning funeral arrangements, etc. My own children are upset with their dad right now because he has lots of health problems that are very serious and will bring death in the near future but when they try to talk to him about what are his wishes concerning even "life saving" measures, etc. and arrangements once he has passed...he just will not tell them anything. Those that fear even talking about death, etc. will often not write anything down about it either which is very upsetting to their loved ones. Our loved ones want to know our wishes after our deaths so they can honor them.

As a Christian I am not afraid of death because my faith assures me that death is only the gateway to eternal life with God and Jesus...and the rest of the Family of God. But even as a Christian my humanness does have some fear and anxiety over the way I might die at times. I do not want to die with a lot of pain and long suffering. I do not want to die by violence or torture, etc. I have often prayed to God that He would allow my death to be that I just go to sleep one night (or day) and not wake up again until Jesus comes to take me to my mansion in heaven. There was a time I did not want to discuss death or the after arrangements with those I love either or even think about it myself. But as I have grown in my faith and trust in God and His Truth about death and dying...I have been able to think about this next "season" of my life and how I can prepare for it. And I have been able to talk to my daughters and husband about what "life saving" measures I want and don't want, and the arrangements I would like them to honor after I have "fallen asleep". This communicating of my wishes to them has brought all of us peace.

Two books besides the New Testament and its Promises about death that I have read that helped me "prepare" for this season life are "The End of Life Advisor Personal, Legal, and Medical Considerations for a Peaceful, Dignified Death" by Susan R. Dolan, RN. JD and Audrey R. Vizzard, RN, EdD and "The End-of-Life Handbook A Compassionate Guide to Connecting with and Caring for a Dying Loved One" by David B. Feldman, PH.D. and S. Andrew Lasher, Jr,. M.D.

Death will come to all of us whether we try to deny it, or ignore it. It doesn't have to be something we fear....we can prepare for this season of our lives just like we do all the other seasons. And we can leave this earth for eternal life with peace and joy...just as we came into it.

John 11:25-26

25 Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; 26 and whoever lives by believing in me will never die. Do you believe this?”

Last edited: Apr 23, 2016
    Diane Lane, Bobby Cole and Ike Willis like this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that it is natural to fear death, and that it takes a strong belief in the supernatural promises of God to overcome this natural fear. I could very easily say that I do not fear death because I know that I have given my life to Christ, in that I came forward and made that commitment, and it is one that I still believe in. I have no doubt that there is a God and that He is the God of the Bible, and that the words of the Bible are as true for today as they were during the time that disciples walked with Christ.

However, while I did indeed commit myself to Christ, much of my life has been spent pursing other interests so, while I consider myself to be a good person, I can't be sure until the end of my life that I have fulfilled my commitment to God's satisfaction. Even when I believed in the assurance of salvation, I still feared death because a part of the human experience is a fear of the unknown.

I have spoken to very few people whom I believed to have truly conquered the fear of death. Although many will say it before they are at that point, when faced with a disease or situation in which death is likely, there is fear. For a Christian, that fear is tempered with the certainty that death isn't the end of life and the hope that hope that we will end up on the right side of things, but the fear is usually there.

Overall, everything that I have read indicates that religion plays much less of a role in people's lives today than in previous times, with greater numbers of people claiming no religion whatsoever. Even among Christians or adherents of other religions, their faith plays less of a part in their lives than in previous times. We have entire Christian denominations that are devoted to providing a safe haven for those who don't really want to follow the dictates of Christ or the instructions found in the Bible. Thus, we have more Christians today who are comfortable leading a life that has little to do with a true faith of obedience to God. When facing death, I wonder how many of these easy Christians will realize that they have been deceived, or will they descend into hell assured of their salvation?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
    Diane Lane and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I've had a few waltzes on that dance floor and I can easily say that I have no feeling at all for death. I have no reaction to it whether it is for others or myself. But, I hate to see someone in pain and it gives me pain to observe it.
    The hard part to announce about it is that my apparent loss of any reaction to it doesn't have anything to do with an assurance in the afterlife by salvation but I am sure that war and other such occurances did.

Yeah, I know that sounds pretty cold but the reality of it all is that I am extremely happy about the promise that salvation brings but am not looking to die soon just because of it. Whenever it comes I am more than ready to close my eyes and sleep the long sleep and wake when the Lord so chooses to point the way to my tent. Uh.....I really do not want nor deserve a mansion nor probably a tent either for that matter.
    That said, if God finds me acceptable, I just want a dinner table and the Master.

What I do not like is a lot of age related pain which is why I work out and I am sure that there are more people out there like me. Being retired is supposed to mean that I can do more of what I wish to do rather than those things I have to do and that means to me that I can take better care of myself and be able to be mobile both in physical strength as well as mental.

For me, if I cannot be a valuable and functional human being I would rather close my eyes.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Like Scott and Ken who have said it splendidly and I agree with, butI too have a fear of death for it's the unknown and is final. I have experienced family and friends who have passed and you it's final you'll never hear them again nor see them on Earth again, yet life goes on...the Sun rises and it's another day and the Sun sets bringing the night bringing all sorts of good television to watch. I too am religious and yet I do fear and don't like death, but love life more than embrace death. d

Others have their own reasons for fearing death. I just love living. I already have a funeral plan, know where I'll be buried and have asked people I trust to see to my last wishes and take care of my belongings, rental unit and everything else after I'm gone for I've provided for all to be done after I'm gone too. Yet when I think of death whether my own or my Mother's last day, I hate it for I know I'll never be with, hear them or speak with them ever again when they pass. Yet death is inevitable and we are prepared for it, but I don't want to die, yet.

Ken Anderson and Diane Lane like this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I have never feared death - I consider myself to be a spiritual person
    I do believe we will be with loved ones again, but even if I did not believe this, I would still not fear passing on

8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I also believe that we will be reunited with loved ones in Heaven. I had a lot of fear of death when I was young, I guess because that's when family members started dying, starting on my first day of Kindergarten. I can remember having a very vivid dream (at least I think it was a dream) where I was in Heaven with my grandmother and others who had passed, and it was peaceful and I felt surrounded by love. The next day I woke up unafraid of dying. I do however fear dying a painful death, and have the common fear of drowning or burning to death. Since most in my family die from cancer, a long drawn out painful death wouldn't be unusual, and that's definitely not my choice of how to go. I'd much prefer to simply drift away while I'm sleeping, but of course that's not something I get to choose.

I agree, many who proclaim their Christianity (and probably those in other religions, as well) don't have much in common with the tenets of the religion, and may get a rude awakening. I agree that religion tends to play a lesser role in many lives these days. The society I grew up in was generally secular with regard to how the government functioned, despite Blue Laws and a few other matters, but I lived within walking distance to around 10 churches, and would consistently hear church bells pealing, which was a nice reminder. I miss that sound.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Diane Lane
    Yes its a pity we can't choose to drift off into Dreamland, how nice that would be
    I would prefer a painful death to be only for those that caused pain in this life
    I will have to have a word with Him, so many things to highlight ...............:p

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it is fear of the unknown that makes people fear death, rather than religious commitment or lack there of. Most people believe in living life to the fullest so I think trying to hold the aging process off as long as possbile is not a bad thing to do. I have no desire to live to be 100 though or whatever. At least not at this point in my life. What comes beyond this life..I don't know for sure..but I think it will be OK, time will tell.

Diane Lane likes this.
  11. Teresita Campaner

Teresita Campaner Veteran Member
    Registered

For me, it is humane to fear death even when we realize that death is part of the cycle of life. Yet, the real enigma is that once we let go and leap out in faith, we find the hand of God reaching out and the uncertainties seem to fade. Only after we take this Leap in Faith that we will change our perspective on death and dying. We will receive our empowerment from the Holy Spirit, which is our own unique gift. As the Bible tells us in 2nd Corinthians 5,6 "When we are at home in the body, we are absent in the spirit. But when we are absent in the body, we will be at home in the spirit."

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

No Diane, I don't believe that more people fear death today than at any other time. I don't fear death, but I have planned for it, as well as the possibility of at some point before my death being totally incapacitated. I like the idea of a Afterlife, but don't believe there is one. All living things will eventually die and if there is any Afterlife it would be in the seeds they leave behind. I even like the idea of Reincarnation, but do not believe in that either.During the time I was in the Funeral Business and working with over 1,000 deaths I thought about all these things. I would look at the body of the person that I had just embalmed and ask my self," Is this it for this person"? Do they have a soul or spirit that has gone some where, or do we just bury or cremate this body in a day or two and that's it FINITO. The survivors of course believe they will be joined again in heaven or some where.
    I have no problem with those that believe in heaven or some kind of After Life, It is a great comfort for many people and I fully understand that. There is just no way that I can. It defies my sense of logic and common sense.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  13. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't fear death because I do believe there is something beyond the physical world. I believe strongly that there is an after life. To me there is proof that an after life does exist. Who know exactly what it is truly like but I know that the human spirit exist and when it leaves the human body it's very obvious. That spirit has to go somewhere to continue existing.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  14. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have watched two parents die and have a brother who is currently battling stage 4 prostate cancer. I believe, for many of us, it is instinctual to do everything we can do to live even if we believe in heaven. My parents and brother were/are Christians and prayed to God during their illnesses. My brother is quite pragmatic about his diagnosis and knows that the cancer has spread through out his body. He knows he will die, but he wants to squeeze out every day that medication and chemotherapy will afford him.

15. Patsy Faye

Registered