Do You Talk to Yourself?

Discussion in 'Evolution of Language' started by Avigail David, May 31, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Veteran Member
    Registered

Many voices rival for our attention. The different languages of power in our culture that push us to define our success--our happiness-- our quest for truth. The anchorage of voices tell us to drop our anchors to. The languages of panacea for all cultural, economic and religious quest.

Often these voices sound persuasive. Resting our moorings on them, sounds the easy way. But these voices may offer evolutionary answers to our emotional needs, we do not realize that they are the language foreign, contrary to our true selves.

The inner voice-- the conscience-- hearing that voice is often our life-saver. Often, when we are on the verge of business, marriage, health failure and feeling lost in finding self-identity-- that inner voice tells us to stop and listen--if only, we let our true voice talk to us.

How does one react when relationships fail us? How does a parent react when an adult child becomes lost in his drug-addiction, and her unwed pregnancy? They'd listened enough to the language of temporary high and dope. While the daughter hears "abortion" on every side.

Sad common phenomenon. Always asking people for moral direction, we deprive our own higher calling to make better of ourselves.

Regardless of one's views of how people want their conflicts in life to evolve, it is indisputable from the language from left and right: our actions upon listening to that inner, moral voice-- must act to preserve, save and value life.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
    Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Out loud? Sometimes. When my wife points it out to me, I explain to her that every once in a while, a guy has to be able to have an intelligent conversation. As far as my inner voice, I don't generally get spiritual or mystic about it. I do make decisions on instinct sometimes, and I would hope that I never silence my conscience.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I am on speaking terms with myself.;) I also occasionally give voice commands to the delightful lady inside my GPS! Her directions are not always reliable or accurate, so I do not rely on her as much as I used to. I look at my conscience, as my spiritual compass, and find it to be a true guide. I also listen to myself. We hear many voices each day, but the one voice we always believe, is our own. So, it is important to speak about ourselves in a positive way. They also say a conscience is like a dog, that cannot bite, but barks all day long!
    p.s. I have never used the voice search in Google....yet!

Last edited: Jun 1, 2015
  4. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

This pretty much covers me. image.jpg

5. Avigail David

Registered

Cute! The only way to remind ourselves who we are. Lol!

6. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't talk out loud to myself, except maybe when I stub my toe on something or when I hit myself accidentally (or just when I do something stupid in general). However, I talk to myself in my head all the time, like a madman. I don't know if it's healthy or not, but I think everyone does it (I hope). It helps me get my thoughts cleared out. Whenever I want to write fiction, I "talk" to myself and have a one-man brainstorming session.

Avigail David likes this.
  7. Avigail David

Registered

Haha! You're not alone. You have you, yourself and yours truly. I think the best things in life happen when one makes conversations with oneself. It's healthful. It's needful. Always, that inner voice is always right!

John Donovan likes this.
  8. John Donovan

Registered

Good to see that other people think the same way I do! I kinda enjoy my company, I mean I'm not exactly the worst kind of fella to be around. :)

9. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I find the older I get, the more I tend to talk to myself. I guess it's an age thing.
    There is nothing in this world that makes me madder then bumping my head on something and when I do, I I find talking to myself with words that haven't been invented yet, and some that I didn't think I was capable of saying.

10. John Donovan

Registered

Haha, that sounds exactly like myself! I once had to take the trash out, and on the way down the block, I bumped my head on the steel frame of a window. I almost cracked my head and I dropped the trash, so I also had to pick it up. I started swearing so hard that I think I invented some new terms.

11. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I was a homebody when growing up and was at home alone a lot. I'd read a book out loud and dramatically act out the characters' parts. This has evolved with me into adulthood, work, Bible studies, and home. I also talk to myself when I'm doing a DIY project and find it very helpful especially when I'm at a standstill and need to figure it out before moving forward. My neighbor is fascinated by it.:D

12. Avigail David

Registered

I think those bumps send electrical charges signaling the brain to tell yourself to brace your head next time from not doing the same mistake. :D And that we are not getting any younger.

13. Avigail David

Registered

I can imagine an idyllic situation we can make/create for ourselves. Children do this always. They are amusing to watch and listen to. Much conversations with ourselves (conscience) about who we are and who we want to be do bring healing and joy to our overall makeup. Our countenance towards those around us becomes pleasant and lovely.

Von Jones likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I has been rightfully said, that talking to one's self is of no particular matter. Answering one's self is also of no matter for whom can we get the best advice from but ourselves. (and God of course) I do believe though, it is when we ask ourselves to repeat what we said that we find ourselves one color short of a proper bag of M&M's.

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I found this about Intrapersonal communication.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intrapersonal_communication
    "Joseph Jordania suggested that talking to oneself can be used to avoid silence. According to him, the ancestors of humans, like many other social animals, used contact calls to maintain constant contact with the members of the group,] and a signal of danger was communicated through becoming silent and freezing. Because of the human evolutionary history, prolonged silence is perceived as a sign of danger and triggers a feeling of uneasiness and fear. According to Jordania, talking to oneself is only one of the ways to fill in prolonged gaps of silence in humans. Other ways of filling in prolonged silence are humming, whistling, finger drumming, or having TV, radio or music on all the time".