Do You Stockpile At Home?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Holly Saunders, Nov 8, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not talking about prepping for a Disaster but just generally buying a lot of certain items , and keeping them stockpiled all the time..

Do you do this, and if so what items do you always ensure you have plenty of at home, and never run out...

For me it's...

Toothbrushes and toothpaste...
    Kitchen paper and toilet tolls
    Deodorant
    Cleaning supplies (polish, washing up liquid, laundry soap etc)
    Hand soap
    Shampoo and conditioner
    OTC Pain Pills

In the food cupboard it's..

Rice
    Beans
    Oatmeal
    Long life skimmed milk...
    Canned veggies & canned fish
    Rock salt

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We keep extras of commonly used items either in the pantry or in a cabinet in the garage.

We keep a list on the counter. When we open the last package of an item it goes on the list.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Nope, I go shopping almost every day but I do have the Costco size paper towels and toilet paper and things like that which last me forever.

I also have lots of toothpaste ...my daughter has boxes of samples.

I don't eat rice or pasta or canned food so I don't have those anyway.

I am trying to stock up on water but I always use it because I hate buying it...it's heavy. :(

4. Holly Saunders

Registered

We don't buy water here because the water is very good straight from the tap... however we did in Spain, and it was a real PITA trying to lug gallon bottles of water everytime we went to the supermarket...

can't you have your water delivered ?

Sheldon we're the same all the extra stuff goes into the shed or in the spare room cupboard...

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I guess I could have it delivered, never considered it and would have to look into it.

I don't want the huge jugs of water like Hinkley Schmidt water service though.

6. Ann George

Ann George Active Member
    Registered

We also stock up on water plus some of the food basics as you never know when there's going to be another power outage that sometimes might last for days. :( It doesn't hurt either to have extra soap, toilet paper and other necessities on hand so we do that as well. As long as we have some extra storage I'll probably stockpile till the day I die LOL.

7. Ann George

Ann George Active Member
    Registered

:oops:.... forgot to mention on my stockpile list that we ALWAYS have a good supply of flashlight batteries and candles in the house. Never seem to have enough of those it seems.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Nope, no stockpiling. Only time we'd stockpile anything would be if a hurricane was coming our way, like Irma.
    Anyway, as of right now, we have enough things to go thru before our move.

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh yes me too...forgot the batteries, lightbulbs and candles...

10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I have lots of batteries from Costco also. Also two huge bottles of Advil just because it's so much cheaper than buying it at the store.

I do need light bulbs though...they've gotten expensive and complicated.

11. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes the lightbulbs get on my last nerve now... it used to be a simple matter of buying a bulb, and sticking it in the socket now it has to be a certain type, halogen Incandescent , or LED.. .or a certain type of screw...thin, thick, stumpy.. long..

I have to get my o/h to deal with all of that, which is why I like to get a big stock in the cupboard at once.. and then I have to write on each box which ones are for each room or lamp, so when they blow and he's not here I can change a lamp.. very irritating :confused:

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yep, light bulbs are my worst nightmare, lol.

13. Ted Richards

Ted Richards Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think your light bulb concerns are ending now. The new LED (light emoting diode) bulbs look like a conventional bulb with a conventional base and have the same light output (lumens). You can choose either soft white light (3000K) or sunlight white (5000K). They all seem to be on sale now, I suppose it's an introductory offer, so I took advantage of it and stocked up. The new LED bulbs are supposed to last 10 years and use 80% less power than the old incandescent bulbs. I notice that they don't get hot either, I suppose because they are more efficient.

Yes, we stockpile, not because we are preppers but because we live in a small town. Whenever there is a good sale on things we use, we stock up. About every 6 weeks we drive an hour-and-a-half north to a larger city and do some shopping, mostly at Costco. We do stock up on Costco meats and some bulk items. Our major savings at Costco are on pharmacy supplies, things like vitamin supplements and razor blades. We prefer their meats because it is tender enough for us to chew.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

True about Costco on all points!

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My wife likes to order bathroom tissue by the case from Amazon.
    This is where the system of checks and balances must be paid close attention to because when Amazon appears, we have more than enough to treat the output but not enough for input. Realizing that all of life is mathematics and that what goes in must at some point leave the arena of bodily processes there must be a reasonable balance to the situation at hand.
    Once a month we do go to Sam's for a few things but that still does not meet the equation, hence, Yvonne takes a few excursions to Kroger, Aldie's or what-have-you throughout each week.

Other than the aforementioned case of double ply, quilted with French looking tufted filigree and wild flower scented tissue, nothing is stockpiled save the effervescent stuff I use for my dentures. Again, it's all about balance.......................

Sheldon Scott and Chrissy Cross like this.
  16. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wild flower scented?? Wow, mine is just plain. Your butt must be very pleasant smelling, lol

Gloria Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  17. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We stockpile only necessities that are continuously being consumed, foodstuffs, toothpaste, paper products, etc., but only when they are on sale. Rarely buy at regular price, try not to run out.
    Frank

18. Gloria Mitchell

Gloria Mitchell Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Do not think I stock pile, but do try and buy enough of certain things to last a month : tissue, paper towels, nose strips for the hubby.
    Also like to make sure I have extra canister of coffee during the cold months.Oh and Aleve !

19. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I will stock up on things that will keep indefinitely, like paper towels, when they are on sale. I go through a LOT of paper towels. How did we ever live without them? And toilet paper. Never let that give out. :D I also stock up on canned goods when there is a good sale. I have a closet that I use to store bottled and canned goods. When I open a bottle of catsup, jar of mayonnaise, canola oil, I put it on the grocery list. So I guess I do stockpile.

And coffee! I almost forgot coffee. I keep an unopened can of that at all times.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  20. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin ".....And coffee! I almost forgot coffee. I keep an unopened can of that at all times. "
    Sometime back, it was widely predicted that coffee prices would soon skyrocket due to some kind of natural occurrence where the beans are grown. My wife searched out the lowest prices, we bought plenty, and sure enough, in a few months, prices doubled! Then, they eased a bit, but we had no need to buy at the highest prices.

Better yet would have been to quit drinking the stuff!
    Frank

21. Von Jones

Von Jones Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I stockpile ahead for the winter months. I just started this after I adjusted to being home after being layed off 3 years ago. Mostly the necessities like everyone else and especially when on sale. At one point I quit buying regular batteries because I fell in love with the rechargeable ones but then it dawned on me I should have some on hand as well 'cause you just never know.

My thought is to be prepared for the unexpected as best you can.

22. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

For me, it's a matter of economics and security. Often, it's cheaper to buy in bulk so when I'm buying something that will keep for a while it makes sense to buy it in bulk. Plus, there is a bit of security in knowing that if the you-know-what hits the fan, I'll have a little time to write my memoirs before starving to death.

23. Bobby Cole

Registered

I know the OP is about HOME stockpiling but a few years ago Ekuk, Alaska was my home for 3 1/2 months out of the year.
    About April 15, I would go to Ekuk with 5 other people and start getting the town ready for fish processing. I was the executive chef but also ran the laundry and bunk houses and all I would have to do at first is to feed my 5 employees plus 2 security people who stayed there the whole winter. Then, a couple of days later the main crew would come in consisting of about 35 and then a couple of weeks later the population rose to about 1,500.

The main point of interest is I had to feed everyone from what was left over from the year before until the barge came in to replenish the supplies that were also ordered the year before. 1 barge of food and materials had to feed 1,500 people, 3 to 4 meals a day (4 full buffet setups) for 3 to 4 months plus part of the next year.
    The main freezer was so big that during the winter, when food supplies were low, they parked a half dozen fishing boats in there for security purposes. Even my dry goods storage shed was over 2,500 square feet of space and everything, freezers, coolers, and dry storage were packed full after the barge left.

Other than some produce which came in by helicopter or fixed wing once a week, everything else was fully stocked because there would be no more deliveries until the next year.

Talk about some heavy duty stockpiling...............................

24. Holly Saunders

Registered

Great story @Bobby Cole , I can't even begin to imagine a 'Main freezer'' being so Big!!

How long were you in that job... ?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  25. Bobby Cole

Registered

One season only.
    Think about this. I made $9.97 per hour. I saw no money for 3 1/2 months but ran up a considerable bill at the company store. My union dues were $450.00 for the year (taken out in one chunk) and my health insurance was a mere $87.00 for a full year coverage.
    I worked so many hours and had so much overtime that after everything was taken out ( including a huge chunk in taxes) of my pay, I came back to the lower 48 with nearly $30,000.00. On the days when I had to serve 4 full meals to 1,500 people I only got in a couple of cat naps and maybe an extra 2 hours between the midnight and breakfast feedings.

I was asked to go back next year and all I had to do was pick up my plane ticket but decided not to. One cannot accuse me of being greedy or perhaps one can accuse me of being lazy but either way, I didn't feel the wear and tear on an aging body was worth it.