Do You Still Store Stuff For Your Children?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Holly Saunders, Aug 29, 2017.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter is over 40, and I still have stuff belonging to her in my loft that she never took with her through several house moves, and then ultimately moving abroad.. Guitars, and music sheets... lots of certificates, and medals she won at school and at various sports after she left school. College degrees , school books, and various other things. She tells me she doesn't want them..to get rid of them, but I'm afraid to, because she has no children to pass them onto and I think there will come a day when she's older when she will wish she hadn't thrown them away...although she denies this... ..anyway I;m holding onto them just in case..

of course I still have all the birthday and mothers' day cards, and her first tooth and christening gifts etc...but they're for me...

Do you still store things for your children, or that belonged to your children, and can't or won't get rid of it? .

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I only have the things they gave me. When they were on their own I even divided up the photos of them as youngsters. Sometimes it was difficult if both kids were in the same picture but it worked out ok.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

We have some stuff in the attic for our youngest,
    since he lives in an apartment.

Since you mentioned it, I am 'apparently' storing
    lawn care and regular tools at my oldest son's house.

I realize this when I ask the wife 'where's the mower?, etc.

I get the 'look', then I know I'm 'storing' stuff at his house.:rolleyes:

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have lots of their things in my attic. Also some of my grandchildren's things. They came and put the things there and if they want them, they can come take them out. I ain't draggin' all that junk down those steep steps.

I have the first teeth all my babies lost. :D I also have the little bracelets that they wore in the nursery at the hospital..It's Mama thing.

5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I gave my girls' their things when they married so the only thing I have stored here is lots of pictures on CD's of our Family get togethers, etc. which they can share when I'm gone.

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a large cedar chest my folks bought when I was ten. I have the girls things that they made or their kids...in separate stacks with their names on them.
    Along with picture albums things like that.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are things that didn't matter to me when I was twenty that I would love to have now. Unfortunately, my dad's house burned while I was in college so it's all gone.

8. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's exactly the reason I'm holding onto my daughters' stuff, even tho' she says she doesn't want it Ken, I just feel there will come a day perhaps when I'm gone..and she's older, where she'll be glad I haven't thrown things away . I'm fortunate that I have the space, but if I ever have to move anywhere smaller, then I won't be able to keep it.

I'm sorry you lost all your childhood mementos in a fire...that's heartbreaking!!

I have nothing from my childhood, except some 45's from my teen years .. and a few family photos ...my father burned everything (on purpose) I would love to have had some stuff from my childhood to look over now, or pass onto other family members

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You may well be right.

Although people surprise me sometimes. The guy across the road from me is an auctioneer who mostly does estate auctions, and there are far more times than I'd like to believe when the children of someone who has died in the area simply contact him to auction off their stuff, sometimes without even going through it themselves. Things that their parents have carefully collected throughout a lifetime mean nothing to their children.

But I think that might be different when it comes to their own stuff. I can't help but believe that someone will oneway be able to appreciate holding the things that were valuable to them as children.

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Oh I know for a fact that if I pass, then my daughter won't even bother going through my thing...regardless of how new or expensive they are..she'll sell the lot, or dump it . She has no interest in anything we have...but I'd like to think she would take her own things.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

90% of old photos of family are on two USB's. One USB is in our bank SDB and the other is here at home. I have a picture, with me in it, of my Navy Graduating Class from Basic Training. Somewhere, years ago, my Navy duffel bag, with Navy work clothes and Dress uniforms was lost.

My wife also has a few dishes that her mom owned.

Other than that, nothing.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh , do y'all have children who might want the original paper copies of the photos? I have pictures of my grandparents that, to me, are priceless. Somehow, a USB is just not the same.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just to let you know, Shirley, my wife lost both of her kids. A teenage son to cancer and daughter to crib death.

As for me, my 40 year old daughter doesn't want anything to do with us. Not our fault, but past problems years ago between her mother and I. No violence, but problems.

We have most photos on USB so we can see them on our Big Screen tv. Our tv has a USB input spot.

14. Hoot Crawford

Hoot Crawford Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm storing my son's money in my bank account. Or at least that's his view of things!

j.k. - He doesn't need my $2...

15. Holly Saunders

Registered

:D:D:D