Do You Read On Kindle? What Are You Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Lobelia Sackville

Lobelia Sackville Well-Known Member
    Registered

Thanks for the welcome, Yvonne; hope you all will bear with me as I learn to navitate SrOnly; so far it seems to be very user-friendly and a very good site with very good people! :)

Bill Boggs and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife had cataracts removed from the eye she can see with but because she has two eye dieases the operation
    was a disappointment. They did give her a RX for glases but said they might not help any. She can see the TV a bit better but has trouble reading most of the print except the larget? My used iPad lights has a low vision print size and is in bold but large and large enough she can read it pretty well although it is not the largest size. She read
    About twenty minutes until her eye started hurting, but I think that may be because she hasen't read in a long time.
    We both are delighted. And it is the first time she has used an iPad in several years. She had a kindle for a year or so then started using the iPad, but soon afteward she was unable to see enough to read at all. The possibilities are
    endless again, hopefully. I set her up to read, The Tumor, by John Grisham.

I myself am reading something not quite so intellectual, yet fills my requirements mostly, and often better, the
    Western novel

3. Scott Laughlin

Scott Laughlin Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Sorry to learn about your wife's eye problems. I've struggled with eyes
    Hi! Eric here. Sorry to learn of your wife's struggles. I read quite a novel about every ten days - average. Presently, I'm struggling through Mitchener's "Alaska".

Bill Boggs likes this.
  4. Scott Laughlin

Registered

. He is a wordy person. I read Kindle, but I also buy books from the library.
    I write adventure fiction - motorcycles, bicycled, aircraft. At age 82 the tablet is about as far as I stray from my tablet. Haven't had a case of road rash for many moons.

5. Bill Boggs

Registered

Let me say hi to you and welcome to the forum @Eric Brown. I also buy books from the library but mine have to be large print. For some good long time I checked
    out and downloaded library books to my iPad but found a limited number I liked, so mostly I buy the kindle books. I used to read Adventure stores, spy novels, etc but when I wanted to relax, I got a western. I've read them since I was twelve years. Now since I am blind in one eye I have restricted my reading to mostly westerns.

I've read a number of Mitchmer's books but it has been a good while since I've held one of his stories in my hands. I haven't read Alaska. Good to have you on the forum. Oh, buy the way, have you published anything? I tried writing a few short, short stories but didn't have what it takes.

What sort of eye problems did/do you have?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  6. Scott Laughlin

Registered

7. Scott Laughlin

Registered

Hi Bill,

I'm 83 and have worn glasses from age. So six. No medical. I have a television, but I haven't turned it on since maybe Christmas. I get my news from NPR.

My wife of 58 years is in a nursing home. With the corona virus we don't have many eyeball visits. So I read.

About writing: I've been published many times. It's all been low key short stuff focusing on motorcycles, bicycles, and ham radio. I've been a licensed ham for 33 years, exclusively Morse code. My stories are not about the radios at all, but about the people spinning the knobs and straining to hear through the noise.

Beth Gallagher and Yvonne Smith like this.
  8. Scott Laughlin

Registered

Greetings, Yvonne,

Yes, I read on Kindle. I bought the "Alaska" book for fifty cents, 1172 pages of small print,and quickly decided I would not get through it, so downloaded the Kindle version and made the print larger.

It's a great read.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Welcome to the forum, @Eric Brown !
    The only book of Mitchener’s That i have read is “Hawaii”, and I loved that one. I ordered the book on ebay, and then discovered that the small print was making me crazy trying to read it, so then i bought the Kindle version, so I could enlarge the print and brighten the pages. Plus, the Kindles have that option for changing the blue screen at night, so it does not keep you awake, and it comes on automatically when you read after dark.

My son in Idaho is also a ham operator, but not for Morse code.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2020
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Eric Brown, Truly sorry about your wife. I wanted to say congratulations on your writing talent.
    The fact that you are are a ham operattor places you head and shoulders above my intellilect.
    Glad to see you on the forum. Stay well.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  11. Scott Laughlin

Registered

12. Scott Laughlin

Registered

I've read two other Mitchener's books - Caravans and Tales of the South Pacific. I think I've read all of Dan Brown's books. And I listen to a lot of audio novels on YouTube. I'm pretty picky about my Kindle books. So many of them don't interest me and are poorly written, in my opinion. A managing editor makes a difference in what makes the book store?

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

Well my attempts at writing are over. That's in the past. I've been having a minor emergency today so I am going to drop off
    and check my vitals. My oxygen saturation has been extremely low all day. I have been in contact with my doctor and their
    latest advise was go to the emergency room. My apoligies. Have a good one.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  14. Scott Laughlin

Registered

Sorry to hear about that Bill. Take care of yourself. When you get your old self back we can discuss what writing interested you most.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I pray it doesn't turn out to be anything very serious, Bill. Low oxygen saturation is certainly something to be concerned about but there are a lot of causes, some more easily fixable than others. I wish you all the best with it.