Do You Read On Kindle? What Are You Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I traded my tablet for 3 books which are a treasure to me. My tablet had the ability to download books, but I couldn't even get into that. The only think I ever liked about my tablet was the camera. It took terrific pictures. I don't even like laptops. I am happy with my phone and my desk top.

Bill Boggs and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Sunny Allen

Sunny Allen Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Interesting discussion! I use my Kindle exactly the way Holly does: waiting rooms and travel. For regular reading, I prefer paper books.

One thing I don't like about Kindle is the inability to pass along a book to someone else, the way you would with a paper book. If I read something on the Kindle and want to recommend it to someone else, they have to buy it. This seems unfair to me; the author, publisher, etc. got paid for it when I bought the book, and they don't have all the printing expenses. There should be a way to pass along "used" Kindle books.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some kindle books can be loaned out for a 2 week loan; but some can’t be loaned out, and I am not sure why that is. I don’t know if it is because some of the books I get are free, or maybe it is just the way that the author set things up with Amazon.
    In any case, it is frustrating that you can’t loan out kindle books.
    Most of the books that I read are ones that I borrowed with my Kindle Unlimited account, so those go back when I am finished reading them in any case.

It took me a while to get used to reading with a tablet and not a regular book, but now, it is my favorite way to read something. The little kindle is so lightweight and easy to hold, and the print is large enough for me to easily read the book.
    When I am reading something with pictures or diagrams, then I use my iPad to read with because I can see the pictures better than on the little Kindle, and it is easy to take a screenshot of something that I want to save, or send to someone.

I used to find most of my books at the thrift store or at a yard sale, And you never know what will turn up there. Many of the books nowadays seem to be in a series, and with the Kindle store and Kindle Unlimited, it is easy to read all of the books in the series, where it would have been very unlikely to happen back when I was just haphazardly picking up books that looked interesting to read.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

That's an author agreement.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Katrina Anderson

Katrina Anderson Well-Known Member
    Registered

I’m nuts for Michael Connolly. Began that adventure, not by reading Bosch, but some of his legal thrillers featuring Mickey Haller. Nobody can weave complex yarns with surprise twists like Connelly. Currently listening to Audible of Angel’s Flight. Third time through on that one.

6. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

No kindle here just books, new one coming tomorrow from Europe tracking shows on Type V11 ww2 submarines, an interest I got from my German uncle I guess.

7. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am currently reading CAGED TO KILL by Tom Swyers

8. Charlene Marolf

Charlene Marolf Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I haven't found a good book to read lately, but I have been listening to an audiobook called "The Girls" by Emma Cline which is awesome. It's sort of a copy cat of the Charles Manson story, told by a girl that has a crush on one of the Manson girls. I really like it.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been reading books by Vivian Sinclair. I have read all her books and I am waiting for her next book to be
    Ppublished. It have recently been down loading books from my library and reading on kindle.
    Now reading "The Hunt."

Last edited: Mar 16, 2020
  10. Bill Boggs

Registered

I have read a number o Grisham's books. Have you read Grey Muntain yet. It's a simple story, well told and one of my favorites.

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

Have you read Grisham's "Gray Mountain," yet? It is a smple story well told and one of my favorites.

12. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I read it.

13. Lobelia Sackville

Lobelia Sackville Well-Known Member
    Registered

Although, as others have said, I prefer reading paper books, I got a Kindle; I read a lot of non-fiction and science fiction and have found those 2 genres more accessible/less expensive for the kindle. The last Kindle book I read was Frozen by Ann Cleeves (a Vera Stanhope mystery); the next K book I read will probably be Every Bone A Prayer by Ashley Blooms. Actually just about to finish up a hardback right now which is fantastic, Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore; soooo good.

I have a Kindle Paperwhite which has no "blue" light like my good old 10" Samsung Tablet had; I sure loved that Samsung Tab (it's screen portrayed pix beautifully), but it's blue light was worsening my insomnia. I've been considering a Kindle Fire but don't know if it has blue light or not; anybody know?

14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I read on the Kindle all of the time, and mine has an adjustment that you can regulate for the light, just like my iPad has.
    Just go to settings/display, and it will give you the option of selecting how strong/weak you want the blue light to be, and it will automatically change at night.

Welcome to the forum, @Lobelia Sackville , and I just love your world heart avatar ! I read almost exclusively with my Kindle or iPad now, because it is helpful to be able to adjust the lighting, as well as having a larger font size.
    Since I read a lot, I also have Kindle Unlimited, and there are a lot of great books included with that, in all categories.

Lobelia Sackville likes this.
  15. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I just began a book, The Invisible Bridge by Julie Orringer that is over 700 pages long. In actual book form I can handle that, especially in paperback, but if it were on Kindle for me, I'd never get through 10 pages. I have enough trouble reading my news on my computer, but it beats getting newspaper print all over me.