Do You Read On Kindle? What Are You Reading Now?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 7, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not sure, Tim. He meets with the same bunch almost every Saturday night and they play for money. I told him not to lose our retirement money and my interest ends there. :D

Don Alaska likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Recently I downloaded 1984 and Animal Farm from the Prime free books to read again. They seem more relevant than ever.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Me too... and I still love Hardback books best, altho' since very recently I have been buying electronic editions more...

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I personally cannot stand to read electronically. Kindle and the like just leaves me cold. I need to hold that warm book and turn the pages when I wish and leave it anywhere I want without it losing its charge. I seem to concentrate better when I read the book itself.

Emma Smith likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

I agree, and as recent as probably a month ago you will see me saying the same thing.. not that I can't stand them, they have their uses particularly when travelling as I do a lot, but otherwise I always prefer a hardback book, the smell, the feel.. etc...but, the last few purchases have been to my kindle simply because I'm finding it difficult to buy new HB books in the genres' I prefer..( I don't read fiction)...

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't know why it doesn't feel right to read on a kindle/phone/laptop. It just doesn't feel as intimate as a real book.
    I think the younger generations feel differently about it or maybe they are more used to it.

Lois Winters and Holly Saunders like this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Registered

I've had my Kindle and Ipad for as long as they've been on the market , and still it's not comfortable for me to read my books on them... That said I have heard that many people with eyesight problems find it so much easier to read because of the ability to enlarge the print at will, and also many people as they get older find it very difficult to hold a heavy Tome for very long, so reading on a kindle or Ipad is much more comfortable..

Lois Winters and Bess Barber like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

My sister was the same way, until I gave her my old Kindle. She was astonished that she could carry around 1500+ books on a small device in her handbag. Now she's hooked so I gave her a Kindle Fire so she can play games when she gets tired of reading. :D

I am also a voracious reader and have loved books and libraries since elementary school. That doesn't keep me from appreciating a handy backlit ereader. :D

9. Holly Saunders

Registered

As I have the paper-white which of course is backlit, and also the best to be able to use in bright sunshine, I've often wondered about the quality of the Kindle fire for reading , in that a lot of my ''factual'' reading material requires diagrams and pictures to bring the story to life , which would be much better in colour... is the FIRE worth having for that..or no ? ...I use my ipad mainly rather than the kindle due to that problem!!

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I'd say if you have an iPad you don't have a "need" for a Fire tablet. For reading, the Fire is a little heavier than a regular Kindle. That said, the Fire tablets are one of the best values around for a functional tablet, so they are worth buying if only for a "backup" device. Many people who don't want to spend the $$ on an iPad are perfectly satisfied with the functionality of a Fire tablet.

Lois Winters likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Registered

I've never wanted a Kindle fire for that very reason but thought it possibly might be good enough to take away with me, but the ipad isn't really that much bigger and has a lot more uses ... so I'll just stick with my paperwhite and my Ipad!!

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a couple of paperwhite Kindles and a couple of Fires, a small one and a larger one. At first, I preferred the paperwhites because they are more like the pages of a regular book, and I guess I still prefer that if I am going to be reading in a restaurant or while sitting someone during the day. However, the Kindle Fires allow me to read at night without having to have a strong light on, so there's a purpose for both. Other than going online sometimes with my Kindle Fire, I rarely use them for anything other than reading. Although I Macs and an iPhone, I can't think of anything that an iPad would add.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Lois Winters likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have found that the kindle fire is fine for reading regular books that do not have pictures or illustrations of any kind. It has the added ability to double as a mobile device, but since I always have my phone with me, and my iPad if I am traveling, I never use the Kindle for anything except reading.
    If I am reading a book with pictures or diagrams (anything besides straight printing), then I like the iPad because it is larger and easier to enlarge the pictures to see details, than it is on the Kindle.
    I also have a lot of trouble reading the small print in a paperback book now, and the ebooks allow me to have a larger print size.

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Yvonne, my 8" Fire tablet is fine for books with pictures/illustrations. They appear in color (if they are color in the book), and I can touch them to enlarge. (My regular Kindle e-reader does not have that capability but the Fire tablet definitely does.)

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Reading the green mile on my iPad. It's hard to read because I can't generate much interest in it. When I read an actual book I need large print and our library doesn't have many of those that I haven't read. I'll eventually get through the green mile then I'll find something more to my liking.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2019
    Ken Anderson likes this.