Do You Like Yourself?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ina I. Wonder, Oct 24, 2015.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you like yourself?
    Did you grow up liking yourself?
    If you did like yourself, why?
    If you didn't, why not?
    If you didn't like yourself, how did you change that?
    How has it directed or affected your life?

I'm a work in progress, so I thought ask my smart friends what they thought.

Terry Page, Joe Riley and Lara Moss like this.
  2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes, in the midst of "not liking myself", I stop and think, wait, who would I rather be? And I can never come up with anyone I'd rather be. That cures me instantly. Not that I become sappy-happy all of a sudden but I feel more normal and am more likely to forgive myself for my imperfections.

4. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I do like myself. I grew into myself. I did not grow up being told I was great or any of those good things, just the opposite. I learned that no matter where I go I am still with myself so I may as well be the person I would want to spend time with. I do tend to be hard on myself at times but I do get over it.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you Joe, that little video puts a lot into perspective. I know it's real, I've just got to get there. I've always been who I had to be, not who I wanted to be, and now I must find a different path. With friends like all of you, I know I'll get there. And I understand that a lot of it is depression, which I must fight.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2015
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Thats a tough question(s).....

I do like myself because Im a good, kind, decent, moral person. I was a good wife and very good mother. What I did I did well...my only sadness about my life is that I could have done more with it but I didn't and that is one thing that I have regrets about and dislike about myself.

Not too happy about getting older either but cant change that!

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I have to like myself, 'cause I'm the only person I can get along with.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How we talk about ourselves, is important, because it is the one voice, that we believe as truthful. We should try to use a positive voice, when we talk to and about ourselves. When we hear our own voice saying something, we never think we are lying.

10. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:I did like myself growing and now. Life is for learning and I'm forever evolving to be better. Going to the doctor will let you know that you are doing fine or you got to improve on things in your lifestyle to be healthy. I didn't know how to use the computer until 2004 about and 2006 I was computer literate and still learning about it though I'm user friendliest. I guess being who I am was the only thing I knew and liked myself and pistachio ice cream too. I've always liked myself for my attitude is what's not to like? I like life and I like the little things life brings me like watching wildlife that I've not seen before and feeling safe with the common wildlife that I see all the time like an old friend always near by keeping you company. Life is for learning and life goes on with and without us. This I learned when I experience the death of friends and loved ones. You think the world will stop when you die, but it doesn't it goes on for the living. I feel that you got to enjoy life and you're put on Earth for special reasons and we got to live till we pass on and enjoy it while we can. :)

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Krissttina, I like your idea: "What's not to like?". Here is your pistachio ice cream!;) Tomorrow's special is Hawaiian King French toast, and will be playing Hawaiian Sunrise! See you at the Hi-Goodbye.
    [​IMG]

12. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Of course I like myself and more importantly I trust in the abilities that I have cultivated over the years. I know that I am not a weak person and have the ability to do the things I know need to be done to make my life better. I am resilient and can bounce back, I have focus and can make plans and carry thru. My moods and emotions are not dictated by outside opinions, quite frankly i seldom care what others think about me or my choices because in the end when I am at the pearly gates it will be about me and my thoughts. That does not mean i can't take constructive criticism, it just means I do not get caught up in etty high school level gossip or game playing.

I know myself to not be a reactionary, I am on the contrary pro-active in that I believe a person can anticipate some of what maybe to come if they can simply be honest with the self. i don't believe everyone has the ability to do that, i have met many people that seem to go thru life in a fog with little to no direction. I am stubborn on some things, if someone holds something over my head i can easily go without. When I was a child my parents would say things like- "if your not good you will get no ice cream after dinner"- I simply loathe people who try those types of control tactics, i have gained an inner strength where I will no longer like or want whatever it is that is being used as a carrot of coercion. Makes no difference what it is. Material things seldom hold much value to me.

I do wear rose colored glasses and try to figure the best, my experience of people in general has been positive, and I keep in mind we all have bad days. I do think actions speak louder then words and some people are toxic. I limit my time with and generally avoid these types of people. Life is to short for that nonsense.

The only regret I have is that I only had a single child, in hindsight if I could do that all over I would have created more children.

13. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for that Joe a good video, says it all really.:)

14. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I guess I grew into liking and loving myself, like a lot of us I didn't get a lot of positive strokes from my parents, and didn't grow up with a good sense of my own value, it had the effect of making me introverted and shy for a large part of my life. During my middle years I got involved in various self awareness/improvement courses, and had some therapy as part of them.
    This self awareness improved my knowledge of who I am and importantly became aware of my good traits as well as my frailties. This knowledge has enabled me to be more compassionate and giving to others, while at the same time accepting what life throws at me, at least most of the time ;)

Like you Ina it is work in progress and I guess it always will be, but at least I have the awareness now of who I am and no longer need affirmations so much from others. My key words have become giving and acceptance.

I also feel ageing is or can be a large factor, as I find it easier to live in my slightly confused way o_O by not taking life so seriously, and enjoying the small stuff so much more. :)

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to the forum, Terry! You're right, we are all a work in progress!
    [​IMG]

Terry Page likes this.