Do You Like The New Washing Machines They Make Today?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Denise Richardson, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Denise Richardson

Denise Richardson Veteran Member
    Registered

My old washing machine was about to fall apart or at least that's the way it sounded. My repair man told me I would need to buy another one soon but to use this one as long as I could. Well, the next time I used it, it was back to traveling my floor and sounding like it did before I called him so I decided I would rather be safe than sorry. So, I purchased a new one and I don't like it already and I haven't used it but twice! It has the Auto Sensing water level feature in it but I couldn't find any that don't and believe me, I've been looking online for weeks but still couldn't find one that comes without this feature. One person does not have a full load of laundry each time plus, my water is hard and I have to know how much water will be used before I put the detergent in unless I want suds coming out and having to rinse it a bunch of times. If they want to put this in washers, then give us the option to turn it off and do it manually. Do you like this feature? Maybe in time I will adjust to it but I still think we should have a choice.

2. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Is there a booklet with your machine that tells you how much detergent you need according to your load size? It would seem if it automatically senses the amount of water you need for your load size then it would be about the same amount your old machine took to do that same size load and you just would use the same amount of detergent you used for that size load too.

3. Denise Richardson

Registered

There's a booklet that came with it but all it says is "Use a measured amount of detergent". It doesn't say with how much water or anything. That's all it says. My old machine was about 34 years old and it agitated harder than this one did so I couldn't use much with it. I guess it will be just "trial and error". I guess time will tell if "you can teach and ole dog new tricks". :)

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Denise Richardson

Registered

As it turned out, the amount of detergent to use wasn't my problem. My problem was, the auto sensor didn't work. I had to wash a small load and it filled completely full of water. I tried this several times and each time it filled completely full regardless of how little I was washing. I returned this thing and didn't get another one because from a lot of the reviews of this model and others in this brand and other brands, the auto sensor wasn't working correctly in too many. I purchased a refurbished from a local business that is still an upgrade from the one I had that had been rusting out. From the difference in the prices on the new one I returned and the refurbished, I can purchase 2 refurbished with what I had in the new one that the auto sensor wouldn't work.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

What brand was the washing machine you've returned?

6. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

As a side note, the newer washers dump the water at a faster rate than the older models.
    The new Plumbing code for a washer discharge has gone from 1 ½ " pipe to 2".
    Most older homes have the smaller discharge pipe and I have replaced a few on homes, upgrading to 2".
    ( water can back-up and overflow onto the floor.)
    Just something to consider when you get a newer washer.

7. Denise Richardson

Registered

It was a Whirlpool. A friend of mine has a GE and it is giving her problems.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Glad to hear you got your problems fixed and saved money doing it @Denise Richardson :)

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a Maytag "stacked" washer and dryer. A few months ago I went to wash a load of laundry and the water would not fill the tub. I checked to make sure the water wasn't turned off for some reason or other in our home and directly to the washer, fidgeted with a few other things....and ended up having to call the repair person. It took him 4 trips to our home before the washer was "fixed" allowing the water to flow into the tub. But then when the wash cycle was finished and the machine would spin...the tub would clang back and forth making all kinds of racket. I stopped the machine to see if the load was off balance..but it wasn't. Called the Repair person who told me it would "eventually balance itself out". And it did finally, only to have me go last week and put another load on to wash and once again the water will not flow into the tub....but if I turn it to the spin cycle...it will spin! :eek:

The good news is it doesn't cost us anything to have this repaired....but it must be costing our Landlord plenty! ;)

10. Denise Richardson

Registered

Thank you! It is such a relief!!!!

Babs Hunt likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

"Easy Spin-Dryer", my Mother's mainstay! Big tub, agitator, just like today, small tub, spins out water.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It stood in our basement, regurgitated the wash water out into the laundry-tub, bought when I was under 8, 1940s. She swore by it, as being the best thing invented. Previously, a "wringer-washer", agitator plus rubber rolled wringer which squeezed out the water. Dangerous, had an arm-hit release to stop inclusion of fingers, wrist/arm into the wringer.
    Frank

Hedi Mitchell and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Many years ago, I had a small Hoover portable washer that was similar to the one you picture, @Frank Sanoica . It was the best little wash machine ever, especially when I had to haul my water in 55 gallon drums to be able to wash clothes. Since it recycled the soapy water back into the washer part when it spun out the clothes, I could wash several loads using the same wash water.
    I started with white items first, which had almost no dirt, then light colored things, darker colors, and finally jeans and really dirty clothes.
    The little Hoover didn't hold much at a time, but it only took a few minutes to wash each load, spin it out and rinse it. Overall, it was at least as fast as a conventional washing machine; but you did have to stand right there and do everything when washing.

Back in the days when my kids were little, we had one of the regular wringer washers, which was set up out in the back yard next to the garden area. We hauled the water home in the old Chevy truck, let it warm up all morning and then I washed clothes and hung them on the clothesline to dry.
    The washwater and rinse water went out onto the garden, so none of the water was wasted at all. Of course, in the winter the snow was knee-deep; so we had to go to the laundromat to wash the clothes and dry them.

My little portable Hoover was very similar to this one.
    IMG_0182.JPG

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

14. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Had to buy new washer 7 yrs ago.I detest the sensors. Always owned a Kenmore..but this one is Maytag. It takes forever to wash a load of clothes because of the senors...who by the way does not sense my Dislike of its sensors:mad:.

Frank Sanoica and Patsy Faye like this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Sometimes these new gadgets on everything just adds more problems !
    More to go wrong - more to fix

Hedi Mitchell likes this.